So are there any great strollers I haven't tried out there? The Dream Stroller Hunt: Part 2

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
So, after Part 1 of the Dream Stroller Hunt culminating in me finding my ideal all-terrain, having loved it more than I can tell you for the past 4 months, I am fast approaching tax season, when I'll be able to afford a mall stroller.

So far we've been using the Easywalker Qtro everywhere. I do indeed adore it, but I still do want a "mall stroller"- something that doesn't take up quite as much of my trunk, so maybe it could stay there.

Since you as a board were invaluable in the hunt for the last one, let's do it again! :D I'm looking for a fairly compact but rather full-featured single, with excellent push and great storage and balance.

Single strollers I already have:
-Chicco C1 (which I like a lot but the basket is inadequate for my purposes, and the recline is kinda broken. :( )
-several cheap umbrellas, which are... cheap umbrellas.
-Maclaren Starck, on which I love the cargo shelf as opposed to basket, the push, tall seat, and huge canopy, but which isn't a full-featured stroller.
(I also have a CCO Flash. And 4 double strollers but they don't count!)

Single strollers I've tried and am not interested in:
-Maclaren singles- Ok, it's not that I'm TOTALLY not interested in them but they're not super-exciting to me. And they don't have accessories I desire, etc. If I end up hating everything else out there I'll probably end up with one anyway. Because the umbrella fold IS really nice.
-Bugaboo anything- I've tried most of the models and I'm not impressed with the push and the seats are awful short for my long-torsoed kids. And, to be honest, I don't love their style.
-Bumbleride Flite: didn't love the push on this either. Too bad because I love their design!
-4moms Origami: I didn't like the push. I'm picky on the push. And I didn't like the handle.
-Stokke Xplory: as much as I do LOVE this stroller, and the push, the handle bugged me a little. And the design isn't really my style. And it's a little too big folded. So again, this is on my fall-back list, but if someone can steer me (heh) toward something with similar push and features but a taller seat and more conventional handle... yeah I know.
-Peg Perego strollers. I haven't loved the fold or push on any of them I've tried (I think I've tried most of them.)
-Orbit. I don't like how far forward the kid sits and TBH I'm not buying this stroller unless I buy the whole system and I am NOT buying the whole system. :p
-UPPAbaby Vista: the seat was too short. I can't recall exactly but I think I also had some issues with the basket? Otherwise I kind of liked it.
-Quinny Mood: I loved everything about this stroller except that it had 3 wheels (I notoriously am bad at unbalancing three-wheel strollers if I use them on our local sidewalks, which might occasionally happen) and the design, the seat sitting that way is just a deal-breaker for me.
-The Britax strollers- I didn't like the push on any of them that I tried, which I'm pretty sure was all of the full-featured ones.
-Contours (I think that's Kholcraft or whatever?) was a crappy push, hard to fold, and small seat.
-Baby Jogger City Mini/Micro- ok, I'm a brat, but the only thing I don't love about this stroller is the way the recline operates, that the fold is kind of big, and that everyone has one. :eek: Yeah, um, I want a little more unique. Ok, they don't have all the accessories I'd love either (more on that later.) Put this on my fallback list.
-All the mainstream cheap brands like Graco, Safety 1st, etc.- their pushes are crappy, I don't like 'em. I'm spoiled. :p

Requirements:
-Small-ish fold. Doesn't have to be tiny, but smallish.
-Must have an AWESOME push/steering. Really. I love about my Easywalker that it is so well-balanced and designed that I feel like I'm pushing air, even though it's pretty heavy. Same thing with my MBUD. I want that in a push.
-Fold must not be irritatingly hard to operate.
-Must have full recline (or darn near it.)
-Sturdy construction. It needs to last and last and last.
-Four wheels (if it's otherwise absolutely perfect I suppose I MIGHT try a three-wheeler, but I'd have to be completely and utterly in love with it.)
-Good brakes.
-Excellent basket/shelf for storage underneath.
-Very good to excellent canopy coverage.
-Peekaboo window in canopy. Or other method to see kid from the back.
-Must appeal to me style-wise, and preferably not be something you see every day. Because, see above, I'm a brat.
-MUST have a tall seat, and a weight limit of 45 lbs. or above.
-Good leg support/foot rest.

Pluses- nice to have but not required:
-full-featured carrycot available. I'm not sure I'd get it at this point, because I'm not sure how long Katie Sue has in the carrycot before outgrowing it, but I want the option there for future use if nothing else. This almost makes my make-or-break list but not quite, so I suppose we'll say this weighs heavily in the favor of a stroller.
-bright colors. I like 'em.
-reversible seat. I probably won't use it long/much but I like having the option on a mall stroller.
-ability to try it out in Los Angeles area before buying is a huge plus- again not REQUIRED but would be very beneficial.
-wide range of accessories available. I like accessories. I may not use them but I want that choice. :p
-adaptor/compatibility with Cybex Aton available- not necessary but would be nice for travel, etc. Please note: anything with an adaptor that accepts Maxi-Cosi also accepts the Aton. :)
-Compatibility with the Buggypod Smorph is a plus, either attachment size, since I already (will) have one, just nice to have that option. Compatibility list: http://buggypod.com/docs/customer/Buggypod_compatibility_list.pdf
-ride on board compatibility- I haven't gone for this option yet, but I may at some point, again, leaving the possibility open appeals to me. But this ranks pretty low on my list of wants.

I don't care about:
-weight, as long as the push and fold are good
-cost- I'm happy to find a deal on a new or used one of course, and the thrill of the bargain-hunt is definitely appealing to me, but I'm willing to consider anything, no cost barred. Including importing from overseas, as long as you can find a store that speaks English and ships here.
-what kind of tires/wheels it has, as long as they're sturdy.

If you read all of that, I'm impressed. :p Let the suggesting of strollers and me shooting them down begin! :p ;) (No really, I'd love to consider ones I haven't looked at much, and hear about your experiences with them. Don't take it personally if I don't like them. I'm a brat.)

Last edited:
ADS
Ok, so I'm no help here.
I'm just curious to know what is your dream all-terrain stroller?????
I'm really interested by this thread.... I "could" need a new stroller :)

wnkw

I know you said you don't like the britax push, but since you like the mini..but do you like the b-agile? We have the b-ready (not crazy about) and b-nimble (love for 5yo and 6 mo old), and im considering exchanging my target micro for the b-agile. I like the harness better among some other small things. The only thing I like better about the micro/mini is the handle.

We almost got a peg? ?switch maybe? Instead of the b-ready and chaperone. Kinda wish I would have..

D&L's-mommy

what about the quinny zapp xtra?
It doesn't totally fit all of your requirements (but I can't think of any that do :D)

the push is incredibly smooth( I could literally push it on smooth surfaces with 1 finger), the seat is large, has 50 lb capacity, it has a reversible, reclining seat (but it does keep that v shape), comes with maxi cosi adaptors, there is a carry cot you can get, the fold takes a few steps but I didn't think it was complicated (especially if you remember to put the brakes on so it's not rolling away while you fold it,lol), super tiny when folded, 4 wheels, peekaboo area to see baby, brakes are great,great bright colors, I've only seen maybe 2 in the wild. the basket isn't huge, but with the reclining seat it's much easier to access than on the standard zapp

wnkw

The only brand I havent seen you mention is Combi. They have a great fold, reasonable basket size and a good push

We have a combi - which I now hate.. I originally bought it for the fold and bar (containment w/o buckling dd1). A could of months ago I put dd2 in it (4 mo at time) and hated it. She seemed bunched up in the middle. The basket is very, very awkward. The fold is still fairly big compared to maclaren/b-nimble. As dd1 got heavier the push (bc of the handle/fold) became more awful. The recline is the pinch/strap kind. The only positive for me is the bag thing that hooks to the handle bar.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The only brand I havent seen you mention is Combi. They have a great fold, reasonable basket size and a good push

The push is decent for a cheap small stroller but they are WAY too short, both in seats and handles. I'd include them with the Graco, Safety 1st etc. not with premium strollers, you know? I do have a CCO Flash but that's it for Combi for the forseeable future.

what about the quinny zapp xtra?
It doesn't totally fit all of your requirements (but I can't think of any that do :D)

the push is incredibly smooth( I could literally push it on smooth surfaces with 1 finger), the seat is large, has 50 lb capacity, it has a reversible, reclining seat (but it does keep that v shape), comes with maxi cosi adaptors, there is a carry cot you can get, the fold takes a few steps but I didn't think it was complicated (especially if you remember to put the brakes on so it's not rolling away while you fold it,lol), super tiny when folded, 4 wheels, peekaboo area to see baby, brakes are great,great bright colors, I've only seen maybe 2 in the wild. the basket isn't huge, but with the reclining seat it's much easier to access than on the standard zapp
I've seen a lot of Zapps around but never a Zapp Xtra. I'm open to trying it if I find one in person.

ebp913

I think the Valco Zee or even Snap could be good. The Snap is coming out with a 4 tire version in February and there will also be air tires available for it later this year. I plan to get the Snap as my lightweight mall stroller - easy to travel with, fold and a good basket!

Janina

I'm on a similar hunt. tried the avio but didn't like the collapsing handlebar which didn't feel solid and the fold didn't work very well for me. I also tried the zee and I liked a lot of things on it kike the push and basket etc but the fabric felt really cheap for the money and the seat depth was too short for my 3.5 year old.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I have loved our Avio, the push is awesome even with 45lbs in it. DD2 won't ride much at all, so I have it listed on the Stroller Swap FB page. I'll be sad to part with it

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC