2012 Odyssey help

djma

A friend has 4 kiddos and a 2012 Odyssey. She has 5 month old twins in baby trend seats side by side (driver's side 2nd row captain's chair and plus one seat). She needs to have the passenger captain's chair removed for her older 2 to get into the back.

She is needing convertible seats recommendations. My concern is finding 2 convertibles that will fit side-by-side in the captains and plus one.

Anyone have suggestions?

ADS

Stelvis

Options are pretty wide open. There's a lot of room with the center row in wide mode, so anything but the widest convertibles ought to work. Are they on the taller or shorter side?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I know the style has changed some, but in my Odyssey (2006) you can move one of the captains chairs to the middle so that you have them side by side instead of using the plus one. Then you have two captains chairs to work with and should be able to fit any convertible seat you would like.

djma

Options are pretty wide open. There's a lot of room with the center row in wide mode, so anything but the widest convertibles ought to work. Are they on the taller or shorter side?

I believe they might be on the smaller side.

So there's a "wide mode"? I can ask her if she has it set to that.

She mentioned an Evenflo seat and I have asked her if it's the Triumph Advance.

Budget is a concern since it's 2 seats.

I just didn't know if it was possible using those two seats.

Christie

In the 2012 you can no longer move one of the captains chairs over. But she could remove the passenger captains chair for easier access.

There's a link on the blog that lists which seats fit great rf'ing in both the captains and the plus one seats. I'm mobile so I can't link up currently. Our radian rxt's are a wonderful fit there. I have two in those exact seats amd plenty of room for the passenger captains seat for slide or slip forward. I know the britax seats don't fit great rf'ing on the plus one.....

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

djma

In the 2012 you can no longer move one of the captains chairs over. But she could remove the passenger captains chair for easier access.

There's a link on the blog that lists which seats fit great rf'ing in both the captains and the plus one seats. I'm mobile so I can't link up currently. Our radian rxt's are a wonderful fit there. I have two in those exact seats amd plenty of room for the passenger captains seat for slide or slip forward. I know the britax seats don't fit great rf'ing on the plus one.....

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Bolding mine. So the new Britax seats are a no-go? I tried looking on the blog and can't find anything (but I'm also at work, trying to eat lunch, answer questions, and pay attention...LOL)

Stelvis

Bolding mine. So the new Britax seats are a no-go? I tried looking on the blog and can't find anything (but I'm also at work, trying to eat lunch, answer questions, and pay attention...LOL)

Not sure where that info is coming from but I have a new gen Boulevard RF in my center seat ('11, same body style), and it installs with LATCH in like 30 seconds with almost no effort.

In wide mode you can still slide the other captain's chair forward. As for whether you could get 2 Britax convertibles side by side RF, I think so, but it might be a little close? I don't have 2 to try it.

djma

$150 per seat is her budget. I am not sure of their size. They are 5 months old and still in 3-6 month clothes. They appear "chubby" so I would assume that maybe they are on the shorter side.

I only see them in carpool and I've held one once during a class party.

I found Albeebaby has the Roundabout55 for $149. She is deciding between that and the Triumph Advance. I have given her the pros and cons of both.

She said that her 2nd row is in wide mode.

Syllieann

It might be work checking if the size4me works. The base looks similar to the myride, which the blog says installs well. It's narrower though so she might still get the seats to slide forward with it. Worth a shot since it will last a lot longer for about the same price (with coupon of course).

luckyclov

Sorry I wasn't more helpful in my text. I was grouchy.:p

I really do think there are a lot of options here. The Plus One is a decent size, totally unlike the previous gen of Ody's POs. Totally useable, totally 3-acrossable. And there's full LATCH in each 2nd row seating position. The outboard 2nd row seats have a "wide mode", where they slide out independently a few inches, and a "narrow mode", where they slide in. I do not keep the PO in mine, but I did have a Monterey-Olli-RF Radian there for about 25 minutes.

Something else to consider is their height (mom & dad). There is not an overwhelming amount of room between the 2nd row and front seats. You know how tall I am and there's only a few inches between my seat back and Radian (installed with an AA), so whatever seats are purchased, shell height and angle "requirements" should be taken into consideration. The 2nd row doesn't slide back much at all.

I think two different seats may actually work better vs. two of the same.

Stelvis

It might be that she would have good results puzzling two different seats together. I'd order on Amazon because they have free return shipping on car seats.

Last edited:

djma

Sorry I wasn't more helpful in my text. I was grouchy.:p

I really do think there are a lot of options here. The Plus One is a decent size, totally unlike the previous gen of Ody's POs. Totally useable, totally 3-acrossable. And there's full LATCH in each 2nd row seating position. The outboard 2nd row seats have a "wide mode", where they slide out independently a few inches, and a "narrow mode", where they slide in. I do not keep the PO in mine, but I did have a Monterey-Olli-RF Radian there for about 25 minutes.

Something else to consider is their height (mom & dad). There is not an overwhelming amount of room between the 2nd row and front seats. You know how tall I am and there's only a few inches between my seat back and Radian (installed with an AA), so whatever seats are purchased, shell height and angle "requirements" should be taken into consideration. The 2nd row doesn't slide back much at all.

I think two different seats may actually work better vs. two of the same.

It's fine. :p It really hasn't been my day either.

Mom is very petite. Dad is average.

I don't know why I didn't think of the S4M.

Let me see if I can link it for her to consider.

Brycen'sMommy

I could not get the S4M to install either FF or RF on the center seat. It was also really difficult to install on the captains chair. The new generation Britax work great on the center seat both FF and RF and still allow the captains chair to slide forward. I have two Britax that I could try RF to see if they both fit but I think they would. At one point we had two Frontiers and a RF Pria across the center row. It is really wide!

Syllieann

The scenera didn't work rf because that front edge bumps against the hinges and prevents it from tightening down properly. I'd guess something similar would happen with the guide65 since the bottom is pretty much the same but it would probably work great in the capt chair to save her some money.

bnsnyde

We have the 2011 and it's almost the exact same, I think. We have 4 (soon to be 5) kiddos.

Anything will fit three across the second row. It's huge on wide-mode. And dad is 6'4" and drives with an Orbit Toddler behind him or an Advocate (they have been RF). No problem. But easier for me at 5'8".

I can't imagine removing seats to get access to the back. Why would she need to remove that seat?

Maybe that will work for her, in which case that's great! But I load the kids in back through the trunk. We have 2 Radians there side by side (with part of the seat folded down so the kids can climb). It's very easy. I always like to make use of the middle seats for safety, too.

I could even do 6 kids by adding a third Radian, and then I'd put the seat back up and of course the kids would have to sort of climb OVER the back seat. Very doable. Others have done it here, I've read. Maybe not the easiest, but she just has the 4 anyway.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
You can read about all my trials and tribulations with various installs in the 2011 (current generation) Ody model here: http://carseatblog.com/8090/2011-ho...ids-carseats-review-with-tons-of-pics-videos/

FYI - the problem I had with the Britax convertible in the center "multi-function" seat was with the previous version "Classic" Britax Marathon rear-facing. I didn't have a newer Britax convertible to try in this vehicle at the time unfortunately.

HTH!

Stelvis

You can read about all my trials and tribulations with various installs in the 2011 (current generation) Ody model here: http://carseatblog.com/8090/2011-honda-odyssey-touring-elite-the-ultimate-kids-carseats-review-with-tons-of-pics-videos/

FYI - the problem I had with the Britax convertible in the center "multi-function" seat was with the previous version "Classic" Britax Marathon rear-facing. I didn't have a newer Britax convertible to try in this vehicle at the time unfortunately.

HTH!

Now that you mention it, it was pretty hard to put the RA50 in that spot. I also found it to be impossible to get a CCO there (not that that seat's a prime candidate for the kids in the OP anyway). But yeah, the new Britax are no problem there.

djma

We have the 2011 and it's almost the exact same, I think. We have 4 (soon to be 5) kiddos.

Anything will fit three across the second row. It's huge on wide-mode. And dad is 6'4" and drives with an Orbit Toddler behind him or an Advocate (they have been RF). No problem. But easier for me at 5'8".

I can't imagine removing seats to get access to the back. Why would she need to remove that seat?

Maybe that will work for her, in which case that's great! But I load the kids in back through the trunk. We have 2 Radians there side by side (with part of the seat folded down so the kids can climb). It's very easy. I always like to make use of the middle seats for safety, too.

I could even do 6 kids by adding a third Radian, and then I'd put the seat back up and of course the kids would have to sort of climb OVER the back seat. Very doable. Others have done it here, I've read. Maybe not the easiest, but she just has the 4 anyway.

She has the seat removed to get in and out to help the older 2 buckle in the 3rd row. I'm not going to tell her to not do that or to load in and out of her trunk. That would require her to remove or climb over her double jogging stroller she keeps back there.

She has a 2 year old and 4 year old in the 3rd row and her twins in the middle row. Pretty sure she's not going to change the set up. It works for her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC