Cozywoggle car seat coat (poncho-like but cooler!)

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
A poster here said her sister or SIL was designing a car seat coat awhile back. I wonder if this is it?

I think it's looks promising. I don't the name at all though. :p

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
They claim it's crash tested. I asked to what standard and this is the response:

To the standards that all car seats are crash tested. They were tested at MGA Research Corporation in Mannassas, Virginia. The report that I received is very statistical in nature. A baseline test was conducted with the crash test dummies without the Cozywoggle. The test was conducted for forward facing and rear facing car seats. Then the test was conducted with the Cozywoggle. There was no statistical difference between the crash tests.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
They claim it's crash tested. I asked to what standard and this is the response:

Confused why you would bother crash testing something that sits over top of the kid. I mean would you crash test a blanket over a kid's legs? Or a kid's toque? :confused:

And if she's going to get the product crash tested, she needs to be able to respond with a much more technical answer. Or heck an answer that at least gives an inkling that she knows what she's talking about.

Xandra

Confused why you would bother crash testing something that sits over top of the kid. I mean would you crash test a blanket over a kid's legs? Or a kid's toque? :confused:

And if she's going to get the product crash tested, she needs to be able to respond with a much more technical answer. Or heck an answer that at least gives an inkling that she knows what she's talking about.

I imagine the desire to get it tested is to make it more marketable and she likely knows parents like us would be attracted to something that has legitimately been crash tested.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Doesn't matter if it's been crash tested. There are no standards for after market products.

Wendy

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
It does not go under the harness though. I don't see it as an "aftermarket" product at all. It is similar to the poncho only turns into a coat to wear just like any other coat when not in the car. Nothing goes behind the child or under the harness when in the car, just goes over like a blanket (sort-of). Her upcoming video will explain better how it works.

I've seen them in person (it's my cousin). They are really cool! Nice little coats but with the added bonus of being safe in the car too.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure what kind of response you want to this? The test results are a bunch of technical terms. She tested the coat at a US crash testing facility. They ran the tests on 2 of the same seats (I think Scenera for RF and either a Cosco HBB or Evenflo Chase for FF). The first test was without the coat, 2nd with the coat. There was no difference in the outcome of the testing with or without the coat. I hope that helps. She (and I) are not sure what kind of response you'd like to see on that one.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I imagine the desire to get it tested is to make it more marketable and she likely knows parents like us would be attracted to something that has legitimately been crash tested.
I understand that. Although I'm not sure if I'd consider it legitimately crash tested, when there isn't anything TO crash test. Kind of like the stainless steel cups that advertise themselves as "BPA free" and if they provided tests to prove there was no BPA. In stainless steel, that doesn't use BPA in the production anyway.

Doesn't matter if it's been crash tested. There are no standards for after market products.

Wendy

But there are FMVSS standards that manufacturers already use to test their seat with and without harness covers, seat pads, etc. Some of these companies that make accessories are using the same FMVSS tests, and ensuring that the seat performs the same before and after. Not that I think that's a valid test for the items that can interfere with the seat (not this coat, as it just sits on top of the kid) because they are only testing a small subset of seats, I don't trust that an accessory manufacturer knows how to install the tested seats properly, that they know how to interpret the results of the crash tests, they aren't doing any extra tests outside of FMVSS (like the EuroNCAP side impact testing) that the car seat manufacturer may have done, etc. etc.

It does not go under the harness though. I don't see it as an "aftermarket" product at all. It is similar to the poncho only turns into a coat to wear just like any other coat when not in the car. Nothing goes behind the child or under the harness when in the car, just goes over like a blanket (sort-of). Her upcoming video will explain better how it works.

I've seen them in person (it's my cousin). They are really cool! Nice little coats but with the added bonus of being safe in the car too.

Exactly. Which is why I'm not sure of the purpose of the crash test? Marketing only?

I'm not sure what kind of response you want to this? The test results are a bunch of technical terms. She tested the coat at a US crash testing facility. They ran the tests on 2 of the same seats (I think Scenera for RF and either a Cosco HBB or Evenflo Chase for FF). The first test was without the coat, 2nd with the coat. There was no difference in the outcome of the testing with or without the coat. I hope that helps. She (and I) are not sure what kind of response you'd like to see on that one.

I didn't need help or clarification. I understood what she was getting at. I just think it sounded like she either didn't understand the report (which may not be the case) or that she's implying to parents that the report is "too statistical" or "a bunch of technical terms" so you (the parent emailing me asking about crash testing) isn't going to understand it anyway so I won't say anything about it.

I'd like to see an answer provided in the form of a document that would be consistent to everyone she sends it to. Right now, the answer sounds like she is typing for each inquiry and may be different for each person that inquires. I'd like it to describe why the product is safe and why it does NOT need to be crash tested, but then go on to explain why her company opted to do the testing (peace of mind for parents?). I'd also like to see it state the standard it was tested to and say which tests that were done as it doesn't sound like she covered all of FMVSS testing (wasn't clear if the FF seats were tested with harness or in booster mode). Was head excursion measured for example? Also say that the tests were conducted with one RF seat and one FF seat (or whatever it was). I'm not sure if giving the model is necessary, as I'd think that would be in the official report? I'd also like to see the report attached for the parents that would like to see it and are able to understand it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool product and there was lots of thought put into it. I just think if you're going to crash test something, you need to explain why it was necessary to crash test it, what your results prove, how it was tested, and be able to clearly explain the results achieved.

And you are the person I was thinking of that posted about this awhile back! Glad to see that your cousin is doing so well getting the product to market.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
As I think a bit more, I noticed that the coat has a hood and then the rest of the coat also is behind the head and up over the seat. So, this could be a concern in a FF seat as it is essentially adding padding behind the head which could increase head excursion. So, in that respect, head excursion numbers have the potential to be useful. Although, not knowing the results the manufacturer gets when they test, I'm not sure how meaningful the results would be when conducted by a 3rd party.

Now, hood behind the head have always bothered me so it isn't just this coat that this is an issue with. Although this one has one more layer behind the child's head than a typical hood/coat. I know that I purposely by hoodless coats for the car for my FF kids. The baby has a hood on hers which I always try and keep on her head in the car, but every time I get her out, it's off and behind her head. :rolleyes:

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'm thrilled (as is she) to see responses on this. She has been consulting with me throughout the process of designing this coat. She is hoping to go to a CPST class herself in the next year to become certified as well. She's working on responses to everyone's concerns/questions.

The testing was done to FMVSS 213 if that helps. The head excursion #s were no different with the coat than without it. She's happy to post (or e-mail) the crash test info to those who are interested.

As for the why on crash testing? She says she woke up, middle of the night, wondering "what if" something could happen that she didn't think of or see so she decided it was best to put her own mind at ease (she uses these on her own 2 boys) as well as hopefully ease others' minds. The money it costs to do crash testing could have gone a LONG way towards other kinds of marketing for her product (crash testing is not cheap, as we all know).

ETA: She says the hoods are removable so the fabric behind the head is only the one layer.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The testing was done to FMVSS 213 if that helps. The head excursion #s were no different with the coat than without it. She's happy to post (or e-mail) the crash test info to those who are interested.

I don't think I'm explaining myself well. *I* am not actually looking for more info. If I was though, I would expect the info put into a professional document with more information and that document is what would be emailed to people.

As for the why on crash testing? She says she woke up, middle of the night, wondering "what if" something could happen that she didn't think of or see so she decided it was best to put her own mind at ease (she uses these on her own 2 boys) as well as hopefully ease others' minds. The money it costs to do crash testing could have gone a LONG way towards other kinds of marketing for her product (crash testing is not cheap, as we all know).

Now THAT is something I'd like to see included in her info about the crash testing. I think it shows how much care and thought she put into this product and shows that she worries because she's a parent, not just a faceless company trying to market something as "crash tested".

And too funny, but auto correct had "cosmonaut" instead of company. :ROTFLMAO:

Last edited:

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
She uses her own children for the models :) Cute little guys. And at almost 3 and 14 months, they are both RF and will be until they max out their seats :)

Pixelated

There's a very well done video about it available now:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5PrGde90A"]Car Seat Safe Coat - The CozyWoggle - YouTube[/ame]

I'm impressed. And that her RF model is an older child :)

Mercuria

Am I the only one concerned about how awkward it seems to use? There's even a cut in the video because it took so long. Plus, having to lift the front flap all the way up like that, it doesn't seem any warmer than taking off the coat and putting it on backwards.

It's probably easier to zip back up than to put a coat back on a kid who doesn't want to cooperate, at least.

Would it cost less than one of the carseat-friendly coats?

Pixelated

I don't think it is for everyone - but I think it's a very nice option for people who sort of get that the puffy coat is a no-no but won't go that one step further of bringing a coat with them or taking the coat off to buckle and then putting it on backwards. I suppose it would depend a lot on how your particular kids were about such things, how often you were in and out of places, and your climate.

badaza

Resurrecting this thread because I just saw the product. Has anyone bought the coat yet? Would it be warm enough to use at daycare when they go out to play or on a walk? Polar fleece coats are good in a car, but daycare needs something more substantial for when they stay out for 30-60 minutes to play or go to the park.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC