Is putting a carseat up front legal?

Nimommyof2

I know I've seen some threads before on using the seatbelt as a tether? Can you legally do this? So if you put a five point in the front seat behind uses latch can you tether the front seat to seatbelt behind?

ADS

tiggercat

In theory, I believe it is legal, though not advised.

In Ontario, It is illegal to put a RF seat or a booster seat in the front seat with an active airbag, I don't think the law prohibits a FF seat provided it is used correctly (I.e the manufacturer of the carseat doesn't prohibit it and the seat is correctly installed with tether in use).

I'll check more and see what I can find.

Oh I see you want to tether to a seatbelt in a seating position with another CRS installed with UAS? I would not be ok with that, too much risk of interaction in a collision.

FTR, is this an "is this legal" question, or "is this safe"?
Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

bubbaray

Note that this varies by province. Technically not illegal in BC to use a booster in front if booster allows it. Both my Monterey and PW do if airbag turned off/disabled. YMMV if sensor off is sufficient. As a parent, I am OK with that. As a tech I would lay it out an let parent decide.

Nimommyof2

A lady I know was trying to figure out options for getting her son from kindergarten, he'd be five not big enough for a booster it wouldn't be to long of a trip so was trying to figure out if she had any options like this one? She runs a dayhome other five seats are occupied. Space to take him in the morning just short the space in the afternoon

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I can't seem to find the laws online, where is pixelated when you need her!

Oh I see you want to tether to a seatbelt in a seating position with another CRS installed with UAS? I would not be ok with that, too much risk of interaction in a collision.

:happy-wavehello:I'm here, I'm here!

I think there would be very few instances where that would work, because of potential interference as Natalie said. Where I could possibly see it working is in a van like mine, an 03 Odyssey, where the passenger side captain's chair can either be fully outboard or shifted into the centre. As the seat belt for that position is anchored to the floor there's a big gap between it and the actual seat (and therefore I do not 5-step in that spot). Maybe I'll try this afternoon to see if that would even be possible.

Last edited:
V

VanIsleMommy

in BC a forward facing seat has to be tethered, and not many front seats that I'm aware of have tethers in the front seat. so you could tether to the seatbelt behind, however if you have a rear seatbelt available you should be able to install it in that seat (safest option). unless of course there is no top tether in the back seat, and no way to install one, in which case you would have to install in the front seat.

Pixelated

in BC a forward facing seat has to be tethered, and not many front seats that I'm aware of have tethers in the front seat. so you could tether to the seatbelt behind, however if you have a rear seatbelt available you should be able to install it in that seat (safest option). unless of course there is no top tether in the back seat, and no way to install one, in which case you would have to install in the front seat.

She's asking about putting a harnessed seat up front and temporary tethering it to the row behind's seat belt, while another seat is installed in that spot with UAS.

tiggercat

:happy-wavehello:I'm here, I'm here!

I think there would be very few instances where that would work, because of potential interference as Natalie said. Where I could possibly see it working is in a van like mine, an 03 Odyssey, where the passenger side captain's chair can either be fully outboard or shifted into the centre. As the seat belt for that position is anchored to the floor there's a big gap between it and the actual seat (and therefore I do not 5-step in that spot). Maybe I'll try this afternoon to see if that would even be possible.

You're much better with the law stuff than I am ;)

There are definitely a lot of variables here, angle of temporary tether, front seat contours (I think the tether would slip off the top of my passenger seat because it is all one piece and shaped like a rounded off mountain), acceptable installation, etc.

OP, Is there another way to get him home other than this set up? Can we get vehicle information?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Pixelated

There are definitely a lot of variables here, angle of temporary tether, front seat contours (I think the tether would slip off the top of my passenger seat because it is all one piece and shaped like a rounded off mountain), acceptable installation, etc.

OP, Is there another way to get him home other than this set up? Can we get vehicle information?

In my particular vehicle (03 Odyssey) with the passenger side captain's chair slid into the centre position it would be very easy to temporary tether to the seat belt for that position even while having a seat installed with UAS on that captain's chair. Angles are perfect, not interfering in any way with the seat in that position. It would be a pain to load the 3rd row kids over that belt but if I had this set up I would likely unhook the tether, load the kids, and then re-do it. These pictures are with the front seat slid all the way back and the 2nd row seat all the way back too. I took the head rest off the front seat for this picture only, fyi.

Attachments

• DSC00267.jpg
    DSC00267.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00268.jpg
    DSC00268.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 27

Nimommyof2

I think it'll be a last resort type thing, hopefully they can figure something else out before needing to resort to something like this. Just wanted to know if it was some type of feasible option. Thanks

V

VanIsleMommy

She's asking about putting a harnessed seat up front and temporary tethering it to the row behind's seat belt, while another seat is installed in that spot with UAS.

Ah I see I was not understanding the first post. I was just pointing out that if putting the seat in front it would be illegal if not tethered.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

snowbird25ca

I think it'll be a last resort type thing, hopefully they can figure something else out before needing to resort to something like this. Just wanted to know if it was some type of feasible option. Thanks

Yeah, I'm really not ok with it unless she has an Odyssey and actually gets a set-up like Pixelated, but that's going to be a rarity I think. I also think that on a daily basis, the likelihood of the seat actually having the tether attached every time, combined with the risk of the seat not being moved out of the front seat when the daycare kids aren't there, is another completely separate issue.

If we're looking at daily moving of the seat from back row to front seat, that is just not a good thing. I see a lot of opportunity for accidental misuse to happen. It sounds like this is a case where she just simply can't safely transport all the kids she wants to transport. I'm not sure what to suggest in the circumstance she's in though. Having more passengers than seating positions is a problem that the only choices are often choices people aren't willing to make - not transporting everyone, or getting a bigger vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC