Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Short adults

Short adults

I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find it. I am 5' 3"-not too terribly short-but the seatbelt hits me in awkward places. It cuts across my abdomen and high on my chest, despite adjusting seat and seatbelt. The other thread about the VW got me a little concerned. If I were to get into a wreck, that belt would do some serious injuries. What can I use to help the seatbelt stay in the proper place?
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Short adults

Posture can affect seat belt fit. I have to make sure my seat back is upright enough and that I scooch my butt back as far as I can. I also pull the lap belt low on my thighs before I pull the extra slack out.

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

I do that

Senior Community Member penguingrooves's Avatar
    i know what you mean. i seriously wonder if i need a backless booster. i plan on getting one of those hip- or back-easing cushiony things, so i'm hoping that'll help.

but if i DO get a backless booster for me, maybe my also-petite kids won't be as embarrassed to use theirs longer than their friends.
    Last edited by penguingrooves; 01-12-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    sprog #1: age 12 in a mifold.
    sprog #2: age 9 in a mifold.
    sprog #3: age 7 in a RF britax MT.
    marriage partner #1 and me all squished in a honda fit. i don't recommend our arrangement, so if you have 3 kiddos, get a bigger car.

6. Thank You from:

VanIsleMommy
    Hahahaha I fit within the stats to use a booster and I've wondered too lol!!

When I bought the equinox one thing I made sure was that I could adjust the height of the seatbelt so it fit properly. You could use a foam wedge but that could potentially interfere with sensors in the seat. But that's more of a factor with advanced airbags.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

8. Thank You from:

Re: Short adults

Seatbelt fit varies so much per vehicle. It's crazy. I'm 5'2" tall, so I run into a lot of high-riding lapbelts in vehicles. Chrysler, Nissan, and GM seem to be the worst offenders on me. Honda, Toyota, and Ford fit me pretty well.

Keep your seatback upright, scoot your butt back, and keep yourself upright -- that helps some.

It's hard being short.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

10. Thank You from:

Definitely difficult being vertically challenged I will try a wedge thing. My issue (don't imagine me as an ape please) My legs are short in proportion to my arms. Despite having the pedals all of the way up (have adjustable pedals), seat back and good posture I just can not get the belt to fit. Makes sense about GM-that is what I have but test driving the Ford left te seatbelts where they should be.