Reporting unrestrained child - North Carolina

rhiyaya

Does anyone happen to know if there is a specific number for reporting unrestrained children in NC? I'm not finding anything on Google, so I sort of assume not, but I figure it's worth asking.

There is a three year old at daycare who leaves every single day completely unrestrained. Her mom has a TrueFit in the car, but she doesn't even attempt to put the kid in it. As a matter of fact, she opens the other side of the car entirely, the kid hops in, she closes the door. Frequently she is hanging out between the two front seats, or sitting with her face pressed against a window when the mom drives away.

I haven't gotten anywhere mentioning it to daycare (I love my daycare, but I think they think it isn't their place to say anything, and mandatory reporter rules don't apply to this). If a good opportunity arises I will try to speak to the mother myself. But there is a language and cultural barrier that I fear will make it difficult to really get my point across. I know many Asian countries do not use seat belts and car seats regularly, but the fact that she has a car seat in the car makes me think she does know the rules.

Do police usually take reports like this seriously? I sort of assume they will just think they have better things to do.

Thanks.

ADS

mlohry

I would just call when you see her leaving. Maybe give a car description and license plate. Or you could do a heads up to them and a time when that person would be leaving the daycare. Hopefully they post someone out there to watch.

Baylor

I keep non emergency local police number in my phone.. I call that. I give car, license if I can, road and description of driver.

rhiyaya

Thanks! Next time I see her I'll write down the make/model and license # and call.

I'm seriously having recurring dreams about telling this woman off. Last night I had a dream that she told me she didn't use the carseat because she couldn't get a tight installation on the TrueFit - so in my dream I spent hours and couldn't get it tight either.

mommyfrog

My son's preschool teachers told me it is a mandatory reporting event if they see a child leaving the preschool unrestrained. And that if I saw someone doing that to let them know. They will talk to them about it privately first, then report if the parents keep doing it. I live in Washington though, so it may be different in your state. I'd just call the police next time.

stephie1012

I live in nc. I know for a fact the town I live in would not care. I know one cop who lets his 5yr old bounce around like that, another who forward faced her 8month old and another who lets his 6yr old ride upfront.

rhiyaya

I live in nc. I know for a fact the town I live in would not care. I know one cop who lets his 5yr old bounce around like that, another who forward faced her 8month old and another who lets his 6yr old ride upfront.

I'm in Durham. I *like* to think they'd care. But I really bet it depends on luck of the draw and who I get on the phone.

rhiyaya

You know... I was just still thinking about this. And seriously. A cop. A cop should have seen enough horrific accidents to know better. There is just NO EXCUSE.

Violet's Mom

Having lived in NC, I think attitudes about car seat and seatbelt use (as well as many other public health measures) would vary dramatically across different parts of the state. Still worth calling the police. Another option would be calling CPS yourself, but I would check about what your protections are as a non-mandatory reporter. (In some states, you can be sued by the parent if CPS investigation yields no findings.)

rhiyaya

Positive update!

So, I finally got up the nerve to say something to the mom. I was getting out of my car as I saw her putting her DD into the car and obviously not securing her in any way. I very gently but straightforwardly said, "I just wanted to make sure you know it's illegal for her to not be in a carseat..."

She made a face like she wasn't sure what to say and finally muttered something about, "Yes, but she just hates the carseat."

I answered that it's still illegal, as well as very dangerous, car accidents #1 killer of children, yada yada.

She said she wouldn't let her ride like that anymore, but did not sound convincing.

BUT! A few days later I saw her put her DD into the car IN THE CARSEAT!!! Now, she had to have known I was there and probably assumed (correctly) that I was watching, but at least it's a start.

Carolinadaisy

I hope she will continue to make the child ride in the carseat. Things like this just baffle me. Safety isn't an option! A child's life is to precious to put at risk. Keep an eye put and if you notice her unrestrained again, I would report it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC