Review of Recaro Como

lilheifer03

The last two photos show the height of the seat to the top of the shell. Coincidently, the seat sits lowers ( in my van) than the Marathon (please see above photos)

I mean from the seat where the child sits to the top of the shell. Also what about the width it takes up in the car, both the base and at the widest part.(sorry for the double post earlier!)THANKS!:)

ADS

lovinwaves

I mean from the seat where the child sits to the top of the shell. Also what about the width it takes up in the car, both the base and at the widest part.(sorry for the double post earlier!)THANKS!:)

The seat to the top of the shell measurement is also pictured. It is 26 inches.

The widest part of the seat (outer edge) near the side/hip area is 19 inches. The outer edge of the top sides is 17 1/2 inches. The back of the seat width of the frame (the part that touches your vehicle seat while ff'ing) is 13 inches.

I had no problems getting it in 3 across. It seems that the sides come *out* towards the front allowing puzzling of seats very well. It really doesn't seem that much bigger than the Marathon.

It sure feel the same weight, if not less.

lovinwaves

I mean from the seat where the child sits to the top of the shell.

Oops, I guess I missed that photo when uploading..

Here ya go!
e7e7ee78.jpg

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Can you be more specific with your question regarding the Radian and slots.

Sorry, I should have been more clear! I just was curious if the Como would have as much room RF as the Radian, or if it would be more like the Marathon. My DD1 (25mo, 27lbs, 37in) has about an inch left in her Marathon, but a good 3-4 inches RF in her Radian.

steph

So no rear facing tether, right?

Would you recommend this seat for a 3 year old over the Radian (setting installation aside and just focusing on fit of the child)?

lovinwaves

Sorry, I should have been more clear! I just was curious if the Como would have as much room RF as the Radian, or if it would be more like the Marathon. My DD1 (25mo, 27lbs, 37in) has about an inch left in her Marathon, but a good 3-4 inches RF in her Radian.

I believe the Como's shell is over an inch taller than the Radian.

lovinwaves

Would you recommend this seat for a 3 year old over the Radian (setting installation aside and just focusing on fit of the child)?

I suppose that depends on the parent. The SIP protection is much great on the COMO because of the very deep sides at 8inches vs. 3 1/2 on the Radian. The Cover is plusher and thicker as well. The base would also be a determing factor as well. The straps are set much further apart on the Como so they don't dig into the child's shoulder or neck area. The Radian has its many plus points, so again I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Me personally...I would choose the Como(I also own a Radian) :thumbsup: The seat has a "cocooning" feeling, like the child is very well protected.

rdangel

Question. Are you able to get the como to fit on the "plusOne" seat safely? I would love to be able to squeeze it in between my daughter's decathlons...

A

ArmybratMama

First post for me even though I've been reading for months! I love your review of the como great info. I pre-ordered my Signo months ago and am impatiently waiting. Great pictures also everyone in my house thought I needed to be locked away I was so excited to see pictures. :D My friend has just found out she's pregnant and I have been telling her about my Signo and now she's asking about the Recaro for her possibly. I see you say pool noodles would be neccessary for an infant and I know Recaro says min weight 5lbs but when she asks I can't tell her yes I'd really put my newborn in one of these instead of an infant seat because this is all so new to me. So I'm curious has anyone ever had a newborn in a seat like this (not just the como) so I could give her a good honest answer. We are both Army wives and money is tight so I want to help her make an informed decision. I love reading everyone's posts and learning so much about making my little one safer!

henrietta

Personally, I wouldn't use this seat (or any convertible seat) for a newborn, b/c most really don't fit a newborn, no matter what the minimum weight says. The bottom slots on this seat and Britax are 10" vs. the bottom slots on most infant seats are 5-8". The shoulder harness needs to be at or below the top of the shoulders when a carseat is used rearfacing. Now, I know that since the convertible carseat is taller, the newborn "riding up" in the carseat during an accident isn't going to hit his/her head on anything b/c there' so much shell above his head, but he's safer the less he moves, period, which would only happen in a seat where the harness slots can be at or below his shoulders. Also, infant seats are generally a bit easier to get at the correct angle, whereas convertible seats like this one may be too tall to easily get installed at a 45 degree angle.

Even with all of the infant padding in our Britax Decathlon, our ds still didn't fit in it unti he was around 12-15 lbs.

I'd suggest buying a Graco Safe Seat 1 b/c it will last the longest of all the infant seats and it's a great seat! Most infants don't outgrow it until they are 12-18 mos old, depending on how big they are. By then, all of these new higher weight carseats will have been on the market awhile, prices may be down, bugs will have been worked out, etc. etc. And if a $200+ carseat is still not in the works, at least the Evenflo Triumph Advance will still be $130. (-:

Otherwise, the Como sounds great!

henrietta

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The bottom slots on this seat and Britax are 10" vs. the bottom slots on most infant seats are 5-8". The shoulder harness needs to be at or below the top of the shoulders when a carseat is used rearfacing.

From Safe Ride News (italics were added by me):
5. Confusing strap height advice for rear-facing child
Confusing Strap Height Recommendation for Rear-Facing Newborns (May/June 2004)

The recommendation given in the standardized CPS curriculum and in child restraint instructions calls for strap-height for rear-facing restraints to be positioned at or below the baby’s shoulders. This is an over-simplification that can lead to confusion. In many sets of instructions, there is an absolute statement that the straps “must be at or below the shoulders.”

The acceptance of this concept over the years has led to the design of many products with lower slots than in the past. Many rear-facing CRs now fall well within the acceptable criterion of 10 inches or less set by the AAP in its policy statement of 1996. That 10-inch height was low for products at that time, but is higher than the shoulders of most newborns, especially premature infants.

It can be very confusing for parents to be given a seemingly absolute rule which may not be possible to follow. CPSTs and other educators could simplify the message by encouraging parents to use the lowest available slots until the baby’s shoulders reach the higher slots. They should understand that the closer the slots are to the baby's shoulders the better. However, even if the lowest slots are above the newborn baby’s shoulders, the seat can be used. If there is a wide discrepancy, a different seat could be found (see list, right).

Editors’ Note
Better, simpler wording, in my opinion, would be "use the lowest slots until the baby's shoulders reach the level of the upper slots."

For a parent expecting a long, 8+ lb baby, the fit of a Britax or Recaro seat is probably going to be quite acceptable, even from birth.

mom2boys

I don't own this seat, but normally I would say no, a newborn should not be in a convertible seat. I own a convertible seat that I thought would work for my newborn as it was a newborn and up seat. But, when you place a 8 lb baby in it, it just didn't look safe. My son fit fine strap wise, but he just looked like he was swimming in the seat because he was so tiny and the seat was too big. He wasn't cradled right in the seat in my opinion. With the como, it looks like those headwings are supposed to help that, but I don't know if I trust that. I really think that since money is tight, I would buy an infant seat. Or, maybe she can borrow your infant seat ?? (Given that it is not expired and hasn't been in any sort of accident). My kids were bigger kids, and were out of their infant seats by 6 months. But, to me, the investment was worth it, even though I already had a convertible seat. Of course, she can always buy the Como/Signo and an infant seat and return the infant seat after the baby is born is she feels the Signo looks safe enough. That's just my :twocents:

UlrikeDG

While after market products which go between the child and the seat or the child and the straps are not recommended, parents can use a simple rolled-up receiving blanket or towel between the infant and the sides of the seat to help eliminate any gaps which make the baby appear to "swim" in a convertible seat. A rolled washcloth can also be placed at the crotch strap to keep baby from slumping.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I know what Safe Ride news says, but I still feel strap heights being so high is just the first sign that there are other fit issues w/ the seat. I know Ilana was not able to safely fit into a Boulevard/RA for quite a while, the leg straps were too far away from her body and she would pull her legs into the space even when buckled. I just tried her in the Como a few wks ago and she's about 18# and close to 28", 10 mos old and was just even w/ the bottom slots of the seat. I can't imagine she'd have fit well fresh from the hospital (6#13oz). Though this is a new experience for me, b/c she seems to have legs as opposed to the boys' torsos. ;)

A

ArmybratMama

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Ever piece of info was very carefully considered and passed on to my friend she still has plenty of time to make the decision but this helped a ton!

UlrikeDG

Of course, if there are obvious fit issues, such as an infant pulling his/her legs up out of the harness, a different seat should be used. This is true with infant carrier seats, as well, some of which fit even worse than a convertible with a newborn.

My own experience with a newborn in a convertible (Britax Roundabout) is that the fit was fine. The bottom slots were only slightly above her shoulders, and the harness fit snugly across her hips.

I

infinkc

lovinwaves-
Did the seat come with the recaro shoulder straps? i just received mine from recaro and there are no shoulder straps on the seat? guess i have to contact them

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC