Minivans with shoulder belts & headrests for everyone

Keeanh

Okay, I'm tired of looking at used car ads hoping someone took a pic of their back seat. Does anyone know offhand what the earliest year is for all shoulder belts & headrests for the various minivans out there? Sienna, Odyssey, Caravan, Uplander, whatever else I've forgotten...

Pretty sure I've lost the tranny on my beloved Safari :crying::rolleyes:

ADS

valleyfam

2004 Ford Freestar is a 7 seater with lap and shoulder belts for all seating positions. Sorry that's the only one I know for sure because I've debated when to upgrade from my Windstar. I'll be very interested to see the other replies.

Dillipop

If the 2004-2010 Siennas are truly all the same, they have headrests and lap shoulder in all positions, even in the 8 passenger.

Keeanh

Thanks :D. Anyone out there know when the Ody got all headrests etc.?

I think the Uplander has always had all shoulder belts but missing a headrest in the middle rear. From looking at pics I think it's 2008 for the Caravan, although it had headrest & lapbelt (weird combo) earlier.

If you look at my siggy, you'll see that I don't really need to replace or fix my van LOL. But the 15p is about the last thing I want to be driving around in the snow, and the Protege is dying, and the Tundra is DH's... Sigh... We haven't even registered the Tundra yet. I was hoping the van would make it another 2-3 years :(.

ahgirls

Thanks :D. Anyone out there know when the Ody got all headrests etc.?

I think the Uplander has always had all shoulder belts but missing a headrest in the middle rear. From looking at pics I think it's 2008 for the Caravan, although it had headrest & lapbelt (weird combo) earlier.

My 06 Odyssey has 7 head rest & lap/shoulder belts. Also the 05 Caravan has head rest in all spots. The 3rd center was a only a lap belt.

Keeanh

Ooo didn't think of the Kia.

I still have to try to get the van TO the transmission guy. DH has been working so haven't had a chance yet. Praying that the old girl will go in drive (reverse is gone) so I can get it down there today and find out what the damage is.

Still weighing options... maybe use the Tundra & Protege until the Protege dies. That makes things a bit more difficult though if I can only carry 4 kids at a time. Registering the Tundra will cost more than fixing the Safari :rolleyes:. But the whole point of buying the truck was to USE it so it has to be registered at some point LOL.

crunchierthanthou

All rear seats have been required to have lap/shoulder belts since MY 2008. Although, I don't know about headrests, or which ones had l/s belts before the requirement.

valleyfam

Bumping this thread. My beloved Windstar may be gone. CRY Would love to know what I should be looking for. Ideally I want a Freestar to replace it but really hadn't put up anything for a new car. We'd been saving for some other repair work. Boo hoo still hoping for good windstar news.

Man it's amazing how few people take a picture of the 3rd row! HA

Keeanh

Bumping this thread. My beloved Windstar may be gone. CRY Would love to know what I should be looking for. Ideally I want a Freestar to replace it but really hadn't put up anything for a new car. We'd been saving for some other repair work. Boo hoo still hoping for good windstar news.

Man it's amazing how few people take a picture of the 3rd row! HA

I never did update in this thread, but as you can see in my siggy I spent the $1500 and saved the Safari. I'm not 100% sure yet if it was money well spent -- it's only been a couple months, and I still have to figure out what's wrong with the AC, LOL. But I'm hoping to get another couple years out of it. I've at least bought myself a bit of time. Your Windstar may be worth saving.

Thanks for mentioning the Freestar. I hadn't thought of that one AT ALL. I looked at pics and it (and its twin Mercury Monterey) always had headrests & shoulder belts. All the way back to '04.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The generation of Ody that went from 2000 to 2004 (I think?) was the one where there are headrests and shoulder belts in all positions. The third row center belt is a lap belt with a separately-attaching shoulder belt, which is a little weird, but safe.

My dad has a 01 or 02 Sienna now and it does NOT- no shoulder belt or headrest third row center.

valleyfam

Thanks for the replies everyone!

As I mentioned the Windstar has been such a great a fit for my family that I really want my next to be a Freestar but I panicked a bit yesterday when I thought I might be forced into a super quick decision. My 01 Windstar has 240,000 miles on it just over 200,000 of those driven by me. In the 9 years I've owned yesterday was the first time it ever stranded me. Anyway we got it towed home and dh decided to take a look at it before we decided what shop to trust it to. You'll never believe what it was....a fuse! A less than a dollar fuse! The fuse for the fuel pump had blown. I'm so happy! DH did sit me down and tell me to start thinking about letting it go. He said it has served me better than it should have and that with the maintenance it has coming (still skips at times, needs CV axles in the future, etc) it might be best to start looking around casually at other vans. I think I will start browsing and will keep some of the other models mentioned in mind. I've said for years I was going to get 300,000 out of it so I don't know yet. :) Plus not having a car payment makes it hard to not justify paying for its repairs. Just don't know yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC