I wouldn't want to be this guy!

ADS

cantech

Melissa,

Thanks for the link...I didn't read through the whole thing. And I guess it depends on the car seat manufacturer too. I was basing that assumption on instructions from another seat I have that says quite clearly not to install in front of a fold down armrest. Another one of those used to be a rule and now depends on the manufacturer things.

Note to self: Make no assumptions!

Belinda

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yeah, just to clarify... there is no right or wrong way to put a locking clip on.

Most people are taught to put it on with the prongs facing out towards you. This is so that you can visually check to make sure none of the belt has slipped out of the locking clip, but it is not *wrong* to put it on the opposite way... it will still do it's job. :)

lovinwaves

Yeah, just to clarify... there is no right or wrong way to put a locking clip on.

Most people are taught to put it on with the prongs facing out towards you. This is so that you can visually check to make sure none of the belt has slipped out of the locking clip, but it is not *wrong* to put it on the opposite way... it will still do it's job. :)

Hmm...this is not what I was taught. Did you read that above link Jen? We discussed the prongs being visible or not. I think we came to the conclusion they *must* be facing outward. In the CPS Student Manual it specifically states the Prongs must be visible.

ETA: Page three of that above link I gave is where we discussed the locking clip prongs. :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I have read the thread before... The quote says nothing about the prongs needing to be visible when the seat is *buckled*... only that they must be visible when *attached*. I read that to mean that all four prongs must be visible to ensure a correct installation of the locking clip *when* it is attached to the seatbelt.

This was also taught to us in our class (technically in *both* classes I took... had to take two seperate classes for different programs I volunteer in). There is no wrong way, but all four prongs must be visible once the locking clip is attached. They do not have to be visible when the seatbelt is buckled, but it does allow you to do a visual check every time you get in the vehicle *if* they are visible when it is buckled (which is why I teach parents to keep the prongs visible when buckled as well as attached).

The original quote...
"It does not matter how the locking clip is attached. There is no up or down for the prongs, as long as all four locking clip prongs are visible"

seatchecker

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat: As long as none of the 4 prongs are hidden between webbing, meaning they are visible, it is fine. I prefer it with them on top just b/c I can see them better, but either way holds the belt securely. The quoted text says it doesn't matter - no up or down, no right or wrong.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Yep, I too was taught no right or wrong as long as the prongs were visable once on the seatbelt. I think the wording can be interperted either way.

lovinwaves said:
This a quote from the New Curriculum Manual..Maybe I am just misinterpreting it?

Quote:
It does not matter how the locking clip is attached. There is no up or down for the prongs, as long as all four locking clip prongs are visible

I haven't read the new curriculum all the way through just yet. But, From the above quote Melissa from the other thread in one of your posts. As it states in your quote. It doesn't matter how the locking clip is attached. There is no up or down. Meaning it can go either way (prongs facing out or not) as long as all 4 prongs are visable once the seatbelt is routed through it. I teach parents prongs facing out just so they can visually check it easier.

Last edited:

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
I took the course with the new curriculum and there was no mention as to which way the locking clip had to be put on. We were taught that either way is fine, whichever way is easier for the installer to get it on basically.

skaterbabs

There is no wrong way, but all four prongs must be visible once the locking clip is attached. They do not have to be visible when the seatbelt is buckled, but it does allow you to do a visual check every time you get in the vehicle *if* they are visible when it is buckled.

Yep. In or out doesn't matter as long as all four prongs are on the same side and visible.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think it's "best practice" (there are those dang words again :)) to have the 4 prongs visible, but there's no harm in having them facing the car seat. When I teach a class and parents, I teach them to feel with their fingers. You'll be able to feel if a prong isn't on the belt.

FWIW, I think the new manual contradicts itself on the locking clip. It says it doesn't matter which way the locking clip goes on the belt, but oh, you need to have the 4 prongs visible. Then on the slide, it shows it with the 4 prongs facing the seat. It's clear as mud! I wrote someone in the certification program at Safe Kids to double-check and bring the confusion to their attention (though how it could have slipped by, I don't know--when I was prepping the class the first time I caught it).

Anywho, this was an issue for me years ago and I asked around then and the consensus was there is no right or wrong way to put a locking clip on a seat. Just get the darn thing on and it'll hold tight regardless of which way it is facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC