Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

I wouldn't want to be this guy!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...llery?index=16

For an experienced installer you would think the locking clip would be on properly. And is that a fold down armrest I see in front of that rear facing seat?

Belinda

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I wouldn't want to be this guy!

That photo was discussed here http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...clip+backwards

Also, there is no issue with that Center arm rest and installing child restraints unless the vehicle owner's manual says you cannot.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Carseat Crazy

Melissa,

Thanks for the link...I didn't read through the whole thing. And I guess it depends on the car seat manufacturer too. I was basing that assumption on instructions from another seat I have that says quite clearly not to install in front of a fold down armrest. Another one of those used to be a rule and now depends on the manufacturer things.

Note to self: Make no assumptions!

Belinda

Yeah, just to clarify... there is no right or wrong way to put a locking clip on.

Most people are taught to put it on with the prongs facing out towards you. This is so that you can visually check to make sure none of the belt has slipped out of the locking clip, but it is not *wrong* to put it on the opposite way... it will still do it's job.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom02 View Post
    Yeah, just to clarify... there is no right or wrong way to put a locking clip on.

Most people are taught to put it on with the prongs facing out towards you. This is so that you can visually check to make sure none of the belt has slipped out of the locking clip, but it is not *wrong* to put it on the opposite way... it will still do it's job.

Hmm...this is not what I was taught. Did you read that above link Jen? We discussed the prongs being visible or not. I think we came to the conclusion they *must* be facing outward. In the CPS Student Manual it specifically states the Prongs must be visible.

ETA: Page three of that above link I gave is where we discussed the locking clip prongs.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

I have read the thread before... The quote says nothing about the prongs needing to be visible when the seat is *buckled*... only that they must be visible when *attached*. I read that to mean that all four prongs must be visible to ensure a correct installation of the locking clip *when* it is attached to the seatbelt.

This was also taught to us in our class (technically in *both* classes I took... had to take two seperate classes for different programs I volunteer in). There is no wrong way, but all four prongs must be visible once the locking clip is attached. They do not have to be visible when the seatbelt is buckled, but it does allow you to do a visual check every time you get in the vehicle *if* they are visible when it is buckled (which is why I teach parents to keep the prongs visible when buckled as well as attached).

The original quote...
    "It does not matter how the locking clip is attached. There is no up or down for the prongs, as long as all four locking clip prongs are visible"
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

CPS Technician

As long as none of the 4 prongs are hidden between webbing, meaning they are visible, it is fine. I prefer it with them on top just b/c I can see them better, but either way holds the belt securely. The quoted text says it doesn't matter - no up or down, no right or wrong.
    Karen in TN
    Mom of 3 girls, CPST, RN BSN

My instructor (s) said it didn't matter which way the clip was facing.
    Bonnie, Mum to a (38lb) 3 year old rear-facing in a Brio Zento (Black)
    and a (40lb) 4 1/2 year old in a Booster in New Zealand.

CPST Instructor

Yep, I too was taught no right or wrong as long as the prongs were visable once on the seatbelt. I think the wording can be interperted either way.

Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves
    This a quote from the New Curriculum Manual..Maybe I am just misinterpreting it?

Quote:
    It does not matter how the locking clip is attached. There is no up or down for the prongs, as long as all four locking clip prongs are visible

I haven't read the new curriculum all the way through just yet. But, From the above quote Melissa from the other thread in one of your posts. As it states in your quote. It doesn't matter how the locking clip is attached. There is no up or down. Meaning it can go either way (prongs facing out or not) as long as all 4 prongs are visable once the seatbelt is routed through it. I teach parents prongs facing out just so they can visually check it easier.
    Last edited by jen_nah; 09-01-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

CPS Technician

I took the course with the new curriculum and there was no mention as to which way the locking clip had to be put on. We were taught that either way is fine, whichever way is easier for the installer to get it on basically.
    Mommy to my 3 beautiful children:
    Noah 5yo, 34#, RF Boulevard
    Maddie 7yo, 50#, FF Radian
    Nathan 9yo, 58#, FF Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom02 View Post
    There is no wrong way, but all four prongs must be visible once the locking clip is attached. They do not have to be visible when the seatbelt is buckled, but it does allow you to do a visual check every time you get in the vehicle *if* they are visible when it is buckled.
    Yep. In or out doesn't matter as long as all four prongs are on the same side and visible.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

I think it's "best practice" (there are those dang words again ) to have the 4 prongs visible, but there's no harm in having them facing the car seat. When I teach a class and parents, I teach them to feel with their fingers. You'll be able to feel if a prong isn't on the belt.

FWIW, I think the new manual contradicts itself on the locking clip. It says it doesn't matter which way the locking clip goes on the belt, but oh, you need to have the 4 prongs visible. Then on the slide, it shows it with the 4 prongs facing the seat. It's clear as mud! I wrote someone in the certification program at Safe Kids to double-check and bring the confusion to their attention (though how it could have slipped by, I don't know--when I was prepping the class the first time I caught it).

Anywho, this was an issue for me years ago and I asked around then and the consensus was there is no right or wrong way to put a locking clip on a seat. Just get the darn thing on and it'll hold tight regardless of which way it is facing.