Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Smile 2009 Subaru Outback car seat help!

Hi Experts!

We are expecting our first baby in just a few weeks and haven't decided on a carseat. We do know that we want a convertible car seat as opposed to an infant seat because we do not plan on taking it in and out of the car. We live on the second floor w/ a narrow stair case, so carrying the infant seat up and down would be tricky and possibly dangerous for me! Plus we like the idea of having the seat for a few years without having to replace it.

So, I am in between the Diono Radian RXT and the Combi Coccoro because both seem like they might fit well in our car (Subaru Outback 2009).

My question is this: In the rear facing position which convertible seat would you recommend that would allow us to position the seat in the middle and not impede too much on the front seat. My husband is quite tall and I am worried about the fit.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks so much!
    -Mara

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 2009 Subaru Outback car seat help!

Hi Mara,

The Radian will fit an older child in your car when it can sit more upright. But for a newborn with a newborn angle between those two you'll want a Coccoro.

I'd also look at the Maxi Cosi Pria with the TinyFit and a Britax convertible with an infant positioning wedge. Because of the inserts in those seats the seats themselves can sit more upright while the baby is reclined within.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

bluegreen1

Re: 2009 Subaru Outback car seat help!

I also have a 2009 Outback and would like to find out if I can fit a diono radian rf in the outboard position while preserving usability of the front passenger seat. My 16 mo tallish, skinny son can be centered for now, but we're expecting another baby, so soon we will need two carseats and my toddler son will need to be behind either driver or passenger. I'd like to rf him as long as possible.

I have tried to search through all the Subaru and Radian threads and have not yet found a successful install of a radian in the outboard position in a 2009 outback. Can it be done and still allow someone to sit in the passenger seat? (I tried the seat at the store, but they did not have the angle adjuster and the rf fit was very difficult without that piece.)

Thank you for sharing any experiences with this!
    -k