Question 2009 Subaru Outback car seat help!

U

Unregistered

Hi Experts!

We are expecting our first baby in just a few weeks and haven't decided on a carseat. We do know that we want a convertible car seat as opposed to an infant seat because we do not plan on taking it in and out of the car. We live on the second floor w/ a narrow stair case, so carrying the infant seat up and down would be tricky and possibly dangerous for me! Plus we like the idea of having the seat for a few years without having to replace it.

So, I am in between the Diono Radian RXT and the Combi Coccoro because both seem like they might fit well in our car (Subaru Outback 2009).

My question is this: In the rear facing position which convertible seat would you recommend that would allow us to position the seat in the middle and not impede too much on the front seat. My husband is quite tall and I am worried about the fit.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
-Mara

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Mara,

The Radian will fit an older child in your car when it can sit more upright. But for a newborn with a newborn angle between those two you'll want a Coccoro.

I'd also look at the Maxi Cosi Pria with the TinyFit and a Britax convertible with an infant positioning wedge. Because of the inserts in those seats the seats themselves can sit more upright while the baby is reclined within.

Wendy

B

bluegreen1

I also have a 2009 Outback and would like to find out if I can fit a diono radian rf in the outboard position while preserving usability of the front passenger seat. My 16 mo tallish, skinny son can be centered for now, but we're expecting another baby, so soon we will need two carseats and my toddler son will need to be behind either driver or passenger. I'd like to rf him as long as possible.

I have tried to search through all the Subaru and Radian threads and have not yet found a successful install of a radian in the outboard position in a 2009 outback. Can it be done and still allow someone to sit in the passenger seat? (I tried the seat at the store, but they did not have the angle adjuster and the rf fit was very difficult without that piece.)

Thank you for sharing any experiences with this!
-k

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC