How to stop the kicking?

U

Unregistered

I have a 6 year old grandson with autism, and other special needs. He is in a special 5 point harness car seat to fit his weight...58 pounds. The problem is, if and when he gets upset in the car, he will kick the back of his mommy's seat, kick off his shoes, and his legs are long enough that he can kick the console in her RAV 4. He has a blood disorder, so he bruises very easily. My daughter is having to hold down his right leg...all the while driving the car. I am so worried that this is going to cause her to have a car accident. We need suggestions NOW.

ADS

skaterbabs

Thank you for being such a caring grandmother!! I have moved your question to our special needs section since it may take some time to find a solution for you. I'm no longer certified, but we have some great people here who have experience with special needs, and one of them will be with you shortly.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Could she have him sit behind the passenger so he's not kicking her seat? I know it doesn't resolve the kicking issue, but in the meantime maybe it wouldn't be as distracting for her?

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Not my favorite idea for any child, but Ez-On makes restraints for this purpose:

http://www.ezonpro.com/catalogs/EZONvehicleCatalog_2005.pdf

Of course, I'd prefer to tame the tantrum/reduce kicking with distraction, communication, behavior modification, etc.

What helps him calm down when upset? How can his self-soothing process/materials be adjusted for use in a vehicle?

Have you been able to figure out when/why he gets upset? What level of language does he have/understand? Does he use any sort of communication system?

Our school (and most) are HUGE into visuals and social stories for kids on the spectrum: make/display/take a picture of him sitting quietly in the car. Write a short story about what it looks like/sounds like to ride safe in the car - and tell why. Rehearse frequently. Here's a site with a long list of social stories as well as "how to" make visual schedules and/or write social stories.
http://blog.autismspectrumdirectory...l-scripts-for-daily-living-and-social-skills/

Talk to school staff. I'm sure one of his teachers or therapists have access to one of the software programs that generates all the pictures you'd need or you could use real photos of him/ your vehicles, etc. At least one also has experience in making visuals and social stories. Ask! Most teachers are more than willing to help problem solve with you.

Have you tried distraction: music, movies, toys, stickers, books, snacks?

Another longer term option would be to get a van/mini van and seat him in the middle rear seat. Put the middle row seats down and he has all the room he wants/needs to kick. Are there other passengers: adults or sibs?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC