musing on the new, longer lifespans of car seats

christineka

We now have all graco boosters (and those that convert) and the harmony defender good for 10 years, britax frontier and the clek boosters for 9 years, and diono radians for 8/10 as well as the symphony for 8 and a bunch of dorel seats for 8 years. Do you think car seats are made from stronger materials these days? Or has testing just shown that seats don't degrade as quick as manufacturer's believed before?

ADS

_juune

We now have all graco boosters (and those that convert) and the harmony defender good for 10 years, britax frontier and the clek boosters for 9 years, and diono radians for 8/10 as well as the symphony for 8 and a bunch of dorel seats for 8 years. Do you think car seats are made from stronger materials these days? Or has testing just shown that seats don't degrade as quick as manufacturer's believed before?
Or maybe it never really was about materials degrading, but rather about misplaced parts and manuals, advances in technology that would be missed, and it being harder to know the history of a seat if it's old? :whistling:

stephpook

More seats with steel in the frames perhaps? I could totally buy an argument for steel holding up better over time than plastic. I'm not sure if all the seats you listed even have steel frames though so I could be totally off base.

gsdguenter

Or maybe it never really was about materials degrading, but rather about misplaced parts and manuals, advances in technology that would be missed, and it being harder to know the history of a seat if it's old? :whistling:

I think it's a combination of this and testing.

I just don't get how European seats (many) either have no expiration date or 10 year suggested do not use after date and in the us so many are/were 6 yrs.

I won't use an expired seat because I'm not taking a chance, but it just doesn't add up. I'm not the kind if person to accept a rule just because it is a rule. There has to be more to it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The new Turbos do seem to me to be of stiffer plastic than the old ones. New plastics and materials are developed all the time. I'd wager a guess it's a combination of factors.

kam1011

I do think it's a matter of materials. My totally subjective opinion of seats is that the newer ones look like they're made much better than seats from 7+ years ago when I first started shopping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC