Question Convertible choice again....

allenhaus

Our Snugride will have just about 4 months left on it when our newest little one arrives, and I'm thinking it might make the most sense to jump to a convertible at that point rather than starting out with an entirely new bucket seat. Of course, choosing a convertible is not exactly simple!

Our most recent convertible purchase was around 3 years ago -- TrueFit (original) for DD. It's been OK, but I've had some issues with twisting straps and strap tension (sometimes one strap is looser than the other and must be fiddled with). Is that typical?

I see that the TrueFits are still available (is there only one color - gray?), and that there is now a Graco Size4Me/My Size 70 that rear faces 5 lbs longer. However, the Gracos seem in somewhat short supply online (for what reason?)

It's a little early yet, but if a fantastic deal was to be had I'd be perfectly happy to snap something up.

Any thoughts/wisdom between the two? I know a Radian is also an option. How would a 4-month-old fit in one?

DS has always been a tall and thin kiddo, DD is shorter and chunkier, so no telling what their little brother or sister will be like!

Thanks so much for any wisdom you can offer! :)

ADS

allenhaus

Hi Judi, and thanks. I guess it would make sense to pass the TF down to the little one (hopefully I can find the infant padding!) and get something else for DD. She's 3 1/2 and ff. That's another decision all together, isn't it? Britax Frontier? Graco Nautilus or Argos? Hmmmm.....

MommyShannon

Yeah, I'd just pass seats down most likely. The True Fit has a continuous harness so the slack can move between the sides. I find pushing at the strap in at the hip on the loose side while pulling at the hip on the tight side, is the easiest way to even it out. There are lots of 40 lb or more rear facing limit seats now if you do want something new.

jess71903

Ambassador
Our Snugride will have just about 4 months left on it when our newest little one arrives, and I'm thinking it might make the most sense to jump to a convertible at that point rather than starting out with an entirely new bucket seat. Of course, choosing a convertible is not exactly simple!

Our most recent convertible purchase was around 3 years ago -- TrueFit (original) for DD. It's been OK, but I've had some issues with twisting straps and strap tension (sometimes one strap is looser than the other and must be fiddled with). Is that typical?

I see that the TrueFits are still available (is there only one color - gray?), and that there is now a Graco Size4Me/My Size 70 that rear faces 5 lbs longer. However, the Gracos seem in somewhat short supply online (for what reason?)

It's a little early yet, but if a fantastic deal was to be had I'd be perfectly happy to snap something up.

Any thoughts/wisdom between the two? I know a Radian is also an option. How would a 4-month-old fit in one?

DS has always been a tall and thin kiddo, DD is shorter and chunkier, so no telling what their little brother or sister will be like!

Thanks so much for any wisdom you can offer! :)

Yes, I would pass the True Fit down and get your daughter a combination seat like the Britax Frontier, Recaro ProSport, Graco Nautilus or Argos, Evenflo Securekid, or Harmony Defender.

To the bolded: The True Fit has a continuous loop harness. This means that the 2 harness straps are actually 1 long strap that attaches at each end to the splitter plate, and loops under the child's bottom under the shell in the middle. I actually like this on the True Fit because it means I don't loosen and tighten the harness every time we use it. I just pull up on 1 side and get 1 arm in, then the other to get the other arm in, then even them up using the chest clip, and buckle.

allenhaus

Ahhh...bless you ladies! Thank you so much for all the good advice, as well as help for the TF. I feel kind of goofy for not figuring that out, but of course it makes sense.

Time to investigate combination seats, then. (Thanks for the suggestions.) That will also gain us four extra months to figure it out (and hunt for deals!) :)

allenhaus

Y'know, it just hit me... The Snugride is going to expire in November! Then I'll have the rest of the winter in a snowy, cold place without it. We did OK without a "bucket" with DS (I used a baby carrier), but that was before I had two other kiddos to keep up with.

I know this is purely a matter of opinion, but am I nuts to think of going without a baby seat with winter's cold and other kids to ferry through icy parking lots, or will a convertible/carrying be OK?

Mercuria

I don't think you're nuts for wanting to get a new one. Even if you're going to be baby carrying, I don't like the idea of putting a newborn in a seat that's been sitting in freezing temps. I know people do it all the time, and their babies are just fine, but it's just something I'm uncomfortable with.

My little one has hated being carried in his seat his entire life, and we still keep his bucket in the house, so it's not too hot or too cold.

You're the mom. You get to make the rules, and do what you feel is best.

allenhaus

Thanks Judi and Mercuria,

The seat has a mfg date of 11/18/08, so I was thinking its expiration is 11/18/13.... Am I wrong? Do all Gracos actually expire on Dec 31st? That extra month would make a difference.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes Gracos used to be December of the 6th year. As of sometime in 2011, any manufactured after that point are 7 years from DOM. Before I speak for all of their seats, the new expiry is at least on Canadian infant seats but I'm pretty sure someone confirmed it was like that on U.S. infant seats too.

allenhaus

Ahhhh...SIX years, not five. And, there it was molded right into the plastic (obscured by the cover so I didn't initially see it): 2014. Oops.

LOL... I could give you ladies a big hug. The seat will work until the sweet babe grows out of it with time to spare. And when he or she does, we'll switch to the True Fit and sis will get something new. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC