Do I say something? Best informative but non-offending links?

Athena

I'm very sad to find out that one of my DD's first grade classmates is out of the booster (seat belt only). This is a child who we really like and would be very sad to see something happen to her. On the other hand, I don't want to alienate the family because this is one of the nicer kids in her class and one of her better school friends.

Would you say something? I don't think they would do it knowing it's illegal. I thought it was illegal for a 6 yo to go without a CRS in MA, but could it be if she's big for her age? It would be a lot easier to bring it up if it's actually illegal, but either way I think they should be told about the recommendations, about boostering until five stepping, that it's the number one killer of kids and why not using a booster is so dangerous (belt over internal organs, ... not sure I know all the details myself because I haven't needed to). The thing is, I'm a shy person who is not good with these sorts of situations and I'm concerned about the outcome. Your help is appreciated!

ADS

Athena

"Hey, someone I know sent this to me and I thought you might be interested! It's pretty cool that there's such an easy way to know if they fit the seatbelt or not, huh?" And send/hand them the Five Step Test flyer.

That sounds really good. Anyone want to link to the best five step hand out you've seen and make it true? :) We're just starting on boosters, so I don't have a go to five step link yet.

MomToEliEm

As for the actual law, it looks like a booster or carseat is required for children under 8 who are not yet 57 inches tall.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2008/Chapter79
A passenger in a motor vehicle on any way who is under the age of 8 shall be fastened and secured by a child passenger restraint, unless such passenger measures more than 57 inches in height. The child passenger restraint shall be properly fastened and secured according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Unless required to be properly fastened and secured by a child passenger restraint under the preceding paragraph, a passenger in a motor vehicle on any way that is under the age of 13 shall wear a safety belt which is properly adjusted and fastened according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Here is a link to a simplified version of the law which might be good to give to her:
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/crime-pre.../cps/enhanced-child-passenger-safety-law.html

VoodooChile

I've been wanting to post the 5 step test too, since lots of dd's friends are turning 8 (and I'm FB friends with their moms), and that generally means "booster goes in the trash." Unfortunately I don't think of it until the "8th birthday, no more booster" pics go up, and I just can't do it then. Maybe I should set a reminder on my phone to do it something like 17 days later or something like that. Maybe I can post pics of my 7 year old in just a seat belt--the shoulder belt goes across her face, the lap belt is WAYYYY up on her abdomen, but honestly, it's really the shoulder belt that seems to bother people.

Athena

Those links look great for this situation! Thank you for confirming that it is not legal because I think that will help in this case. And that gives me an opening to point out that even once they are 8 or 57", it is not safe until the belt fits properly. I love that the Mass.gov page introduces the belt fit topic, allowing me an opening for that and giving that point more merit in some people's minds.

Good idea for posting it on FB.

Thanks to you all! You've helped give me the info, method, and confidence to say something that I hope will not offend and will be received and used.

Another aspect of this that was difficult was it happening in front of my 6yo. However, I spoke with my DD and she says she loves her car seat, so she doesn't seem to have been affected by the peer pressure of it. :) Yet, I suppose it's only a matter of time.

Mommy!

My DD's friend last year was the same situation (age 5, big for his age but not that big!). I offered (deliberatly) to drive him home from the playdate, then put him in our second booster, when we arrived he and I mentioned it to his parents, how much better he fit, saw out the window etc. They boostered him again right away, no hard feelings at all, and he's still boostered! :)

Athena

That's great that it worked! We don't carpool, so unfortunately that strategy is not an option for us. Great idea though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC