Quick booster question

Mama2J

My son is very close to having to use his Cosco high back in booster mode in Daddy's truck on occasion. Aside from being nervous about this, I have a question:

I think I understand basically how it works with removing the harness and not using the tether anymore, just pulling the seat belt through the guides. My question is, do you leave the seatbelt loose like an adult's where it would only lock in a sudden stop? Or do you lock the seatbelt like you would when installing a carseat? Wouldn't he be safer and be able to move less with it locked? I'm not sure if my dh would remember to do this each time though if I wasn't with them...

ADS

MomToEliEm

During the initial training period when he is learning how to sit well, probably locking the seatbelt probably would be a good idea. If he says seated well after some time, I would say you could lock it or leave it unlocked. I locked the seatbelt on my daughter's booster initially when she rode in daddy's car, but now she just sits regularly with the seatbelt unlocked.

For a four year old, I would probably recommend locking a seatbelt, but I don't think it wold be necessary for a typical 5 or 6 year old who had experience using the seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Unless you can't afford a better seat, I would strongly recommend against using a cosco hbb as a booster. It really fits most kids poorly, and has no eps foam or side impact protective structure. It's the highlighted 'poor belt fit' seat here on the iihs website http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/child_restraints/default.html

But as to the question you asked, no, you don't have to lock the belt. It's ok if you do, you can teach your ds to do it, even, but it's not necessary.

:)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Just to reiterate, the cosco is a REALLY poor fitting booster on most kids, also, it has the LOWEST slots, which means in a different combination booster seat might last longer, if he is getting too tall for the harness (obviously that won't helkp if it is the weight he is outgrowing...)
Since he is in a regent in your pic, it seems like you know all the arguments for why putting a 4 yr old in a booster is really not a great idea.....I'm assuming there is just no other option for use in your DH's truck?

MomToEliEm

I was just noticing your son isn't even 4 yet. I really think you should consider another harnessed seat for him to use. The cosco high back booster only has a top harness height of 15.3 inches (at least by looking at the measurements page). There are many other combination seats out there that harness up to 17 inches.

I know with my graco platinum cargo booster, when I switched it from harness to booster mode, I realized immediately that it didn't work great as a booster. It was holding the seatbelt too far away from my daughter's body). From seeing that, I realized I needed to buy something else. That is when we bought the regent for her to use.

Mama2J

I'm not crazy about the idea of him using this as a booster either. I actually had this discussion with dh when I bought the Regent, because I had wanted to replace his seat too. He is reluctant to part with it because he just bought it last year and doesn't use it much (wants to get money's worth, sees no need to buy new one when we already have, etc.). Now I'm wishing he had bought something with higher harness slots, but I knew nothing about it at that time and just told him to buy something with a harness that would fit a 30-something pound kid.

DH is home with him today, and when I put him in the seat this morning, he is right at the top slot. I'm hoping when the time comes that we really have to stop using it, that I could convince him to let me move the Regent into his truck when necessary, or to buy a dedicated booster. A Parkway would not be a waste of money because it would last several years before being outgrown or expired, and I could also use it if needed for other people's cars.

Connor's Mom

I personally would not even consider a Parkway, there really is no way around your son being too young for a booster seat. Do you have head supports behind where the seat would go in your DH's truck? If you are willing to spend the $85 on a Parkway why not consider getting the Safety 1st Signature Biltmore that is on sale at Albee Baby for $89.99? It harnesses to 17.5" and would give your son more time to mature to be able to sit correctly in a booster seat at all times.
I would even resort to moving the Regent back and forth between cars before putting an almost 4 or 4 year old in any type of booster.

Mama2J

The trouble is he does not want to buy a new seat at all; I had suggested we get the Apex (he does have a headrest) when I got the Regent, and he said we didn't need it. I was just thinking the Parkway because we would be able to use it the longest. But true, I really would rather he stay harnessed all the time.

Maybe I should just tell him I'm not comfortable with him in a booster yet, and would like to move the Regent if we take his truck, and not even mention that I don't want to use the Cosco. Then we could delay talking about buying a new seat until he is more ready for an occasional booster ride.

Connor's Mom

Would DH be receptive to education regarding harnessed seat vs. booster? If so you can always let him read the info and show him the crash video with both the harnessed child and the boostered child in the same car. That is pretty strong stuff there and then maybe he would agree that the extra $90 would be a small price to pay to keep DS safe.

Morganthe

ITA with other posters on here about your dd's age being too young for a full time booster seat. If he's still at the specs that you list in your signature:
36lbs & 38" -- not only is he too young, but also overall size is not enough to fit properly. He is just too small to be competely safe and will be able to slide out of the seatbelt, probably even if it's locked.

DD was able to do this in a Recaro Start that fit her perfectly. :eek: She's turning 4 soon. She's over 3 inches tallker than your son, but the same weight, so she's slender too. No way she's happy in a booster. She wants her harness.

I realize that we can be rather fanatical at times on here, but it's important that his dad realize that your son could easily slide out, be seriously injured, or dead because he is not physically or mentally ready for the next step of a booster. :(

Last edited:

Mama2J

Maybe I will try talking to him this weekend. Something like, I noticed his shoulders are even with the top of the harness, which means he is outgrowing the harness, and I don't think he is ready to use it as a booster. Do you think we should move my seat into your truck when you need it, or should we buy a new one that will fit longer?

Question about the Biltmore for you all: Does this make a good booster once harness is outgrown? I'm sure dh will want to know if we can do that. Great price too!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Well if it's close to YOUR birthday maybe you can sell him on the idea that what you really want is a new seat for ds.

Or you could trade him for something he wants. Ya know like, you can get that video game, golf club, game tickets, whatever you have been wanting, and I can get a new seat to play with????

Kimberly

Mama2J

LOL! Actually my birthday was 5 months ago! Come to think of it, the Regent was my birthday present to myself (and my son)...

Well if I got the Biltmore on sale, at least I wouldn't be buying another $300 carseat. Hmmm, maybe Daddy's carseat could be a birthday present for Justin in October...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
And, yes, the Apex is a way better booster than the other coscos...the belt goes much lower on the lap, and the shoulderbelt goes up in those headrest dips, stays on the shoulder a lot better. It's also way bigger and will fit as a booster probably till he's ready for the seatbelt (the cosco you have now gets outgrown at like age 6...)

arly1983

This is my DS in an Apex. He is in the same slots as your DS in the regent. He would be on the top slots of the Apex but with plenty of room to grow. Especially since the comfort pad was still in the seat and that would give him another 1 or more. Also the crotch strap is short but Cosco will send you a longer one at no charge.

Picture339.jpg

Picture340.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC