Question Where do you keep your seatbelt cutter?

mlohry

DH got me a seatbelt cutter for Christmas, real romantic, I know, but he knew I really wanted one. Just curious where people put them in their cars? This one could be a key chain, but I hate big things on my key chain. The thing is pretty cool, it has the cutter, a light that can be used as a flashlight or a flashing red light, an insane ear piercing alarm, that I accidentally set off and I'm pretty sure my cat will never come out again, and a window breaker thing. The cutter has a protective thing attached to the key ring, that you pull to get at the blade, is that standard for safety?

ADS

kellief11

Haha! I bought 2 for Christmas and gave one to myself and one to my husband. Your's sounds much fancier, and no there is not cover on the blade but the blade is set back and couldn't cut anything much thicker than a seat belt. If that makes sense?

Mine is in my driver door compartment/arm rest in the van, I want to know exactly where it is if we go off the side of the road into water or something (worry wart, I know). I also wanted it somewhere where it wouldn't fly around in a wreck and hit someone or get lost and I didn't want it out of reach in the glove box. Hubby put his in his middle console.

Good question. I would love to hear where you are supposed to keep them.

Mercuria

We keep all of ours in center consoles. They're all covered center consoles, and I figure that they're most accessible in the center of the vehicle.

crunchierthanthou

We have two in our vehicle. They're also safety hammers to break glass. One is in the driver's side door cubby, and the other is in the glove box.

Pixels

I have no idea where mine is now. I used it to cut the harnesses on two seats, and it wouldn't cut the third. Even getting the first one cut was very difficult and took a few minutes.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm pretty sure my visor-mounted cutter wouldn't go through a belt. I used it to cut wrapping paper once (in an "emergency") and it got all gummed up before I even got to the second present.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's on my keychain. $8 from amazon and it'll break windows and cut seatbelts. Or, the ways I've actually used it, it'll chip concrete countertops and cut the plastic strings off of carseats.

Wendy

mlohry

I tried out the window breaker thing on a piece of cardboard. You push it down hard and it pierces whatever you push into it. Kind of like an ear piercing gun. It's pretty rad! HA! I want to try the cutter and the window breaker on real stuff...might have to visit a junk yard!

HEVY

Mines in the garbage. It was on my keychain but it started to fall apart. Thanks for reminding me I need a new one.

Xandra

In the sunglasses compartment in the car and van. I can reach it from my seat if the belt is locked, and it can't fall out if the car rolls.

ETA: I tested it on an expired carseat. I'm glad I practiced because it took several tries to master it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If you're using a spring-loaded window breaker, wrap your hand in a shirt or something first, if you're able. Your hand will go through the breaking glass pretty fast.

mlohry

In the sunglasses compartment in the car and van. I can reach it from my seat if the belt is locked, and it can't fall out if the car rolls.

ETA: I tested it on an expired carseat. I'm glad I practiced because it took several tries to master it.

So you're saying I really should go to a junk yard! You'll be DH's new BFF!

Good tip about the car rolling. I however cannot reach my glove box, without really leaning. I think I'll put it on a wrapping paper ribbon and wrap it a couple times around the mirror, then I can just yank it off. That ribbon breaks really easy.

mlohry

Do you all think a scissors would be better for cutting seat belts? Sounds like from this thread they are tough to cut.

stephpook

My husband got me one for Christmas too. It's in the center console of my van. It was too big and bulky for my keychain, plus I wanted to keep it in the car the kids primarily ride in.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do you all think a scissors would be better for cutting seat belts? Sounds like from this thread they are tough to cut.

Not something I'd want in the car with me.

This is what I have. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ResQMe-Escape-Tool-Made-Yellow/dp/B000FCRS0I/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1353882327&sr=1-1&keywords=resqme"]ResQMe Car Escape Tool, Made in USA (Yellow) : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Wendy

ks227

It's on my keychain - I got a 2 pack of the ResQMe tools on Amazon (one for my husband, one for me) and they will break windows and cut seatbelts. I figure in an accident there's no guarantee I could get into the center console but my keys are right there.

The only caveat is that I can't hand my keyring to DD to play with in stores anymore!

Xandra

I don't think scissors would work better, seatbelts are pretty thick. Plus I would NOT want scissors in my car!

Phineasmama

Mine is in the little extra compartment above the glove compartment. I have Life Hammers so they wouldn't work as a keychain or fit in my sunglasses compartment. I have used it on a D-ring before when my seat got stuck and it slices through like butter. Cutting through a seat belt with scissors would be really hard. Plus the Lifehammer smashes windows and you can't cut yourself on the sharp part for the seat belt cutter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC