Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

2 baby carrier questions

First of all, does anybody have thoughts about a Boba Wrap? A local baby store is closing and has a few on sale. I'm thinking about picking one up for a friend who is adopting a newbie in a few months.

Secondly, would there be any benefit in my trying to find a ring sling? DD is 4 months and isn't grooving on being wrapped. Sometimes she'll ride in the Ergo. Mostly she wants to be held, so I was wondering about a ring sling for a hip carry so that at least I don't have to carry all of her weight on my arms. I do have an EllaRoo wrap, so maybe I could try a similar setup with that?
    Sarah
    CPST, PhD, instructor, and generally busy mom (DS (6/08) riding in a FR85 & a Nautilus and DD (8/12) riding in MR65s)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 2 baby carrier questions

I would work on a hip carry with the Ellaroo before buying something new. Check out the Poppins Hip Carry here: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...rry-Pics-added! and Becky Sue's hip carry here: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...-PICS-are-BACK.

ETA: I think the Boba are a stretchy wrap, so should work well for a newbie.

4. Thank You from:

You could also get a couple sling rings and try your ellaroo as a no sew RS. Although TBH I find my ellaroo really grippy am not sure how well it would work when sliding through the rings.
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

6. Thank You from:

I tried this around the house yesterday.

http://www.ellaroo.com/index.php/ins..._up_to_toddler

I put her in sitting up though rather than cradle. She seemed ok with it. I'm not sure how comfortable it will be in the long term with it, but we'll try it for a while and see. The only thing that bothers me about the wrap is figuring out what to do with all the extra fabric left in that carry.
    Sarah
    CPST, PhD, instructor, and generally busy mom (DS (6/08) riding in a FR85 & a Nautilus and DD (8/12) riding in MR65s)

a ring sling is nice for any age.
    Too bad you can't get a woven wrap on that stoore closing sale
    I do not have experience with a Boba wrap though.

I know! I was hoping to find a ring sling at the store closing sale because now anything I want like that has to be ordered. Nobody else around here carries woven wraps or simple ring slings. She also had one regular Boba left that I might go back after for my friend (I asked her about the wrap but she's not sure she can see herself wrapping, period.) if it's still there. (I've got a Boba already, so I don't need one, lol.)

I'm truly sorry this store is closing. This was a local small business that sold all manner of baby wearing devices, cloth diapers & wipes, pumps & parts. I've bought almost all of my carriers from her, multiple pump & pump parts, nursing bras, and other natural products. You could get so many things there that nobody else had. It's sad that our community is losing the only small natural parenting retailer we had.
    Sarah

Good for doing an upright carry! I rarely recommend cradle anymore. It is so important to get proper positioning in a cradle carry to avoid the chin to chest problem. As for the extra length, when I have that I usually just wrap around my waist a few times. If you do it loosely, you may be able to do that with the extra length.

And that is so sad that such a great store is closing. I have a dream one day to open a similar store in my area, with emphasis on breastfeeding and natural wooden toys.