Harmony Defender 360 pics and thoughts

glockchick

I bought one the day before yesterday to try out as a narrow option in my suburban for when Caleb outgrows his BLVD 70.

First impressions:

The assembly wasn't horrible but it did require the use of two screwdrivers simultaneously to put the backrest on. I'd prefer no tools be required.

I like how it's well padded with EPP foam from bottom to top. I don't like that the sides of the head wings are not lined with EPP foam, behind the child's head is but the sides are not. This might be a deal breaker for me, I hadn't decided yet.

The crotch pad slides off way too easily. It'd be lost in no time.

I love the ease of adjusting the harness height. Install was super easy in my suburban and super secure. The manual was somewhat contradictory about tether use, page 8 says they recommend always using the tether while page 22 (? I think) says the top tether must be used at all times. I called Harmony about it and they said it is NOT mandatory and had to pass all testing without it but that they strongly recommend using it.

I decided to give it a chance. :)

I'm sorry the pics aren't great. The kids are sick and weren't feeling like playing car seats but I snuck a few pics in.

Caleb fits in the BLVD 70 on the 3rd to top setting.

This is how the HD fits Caleb set to where he'd use it.
A2480F18-B5B3-4B75-995A-5FC7C91FA0CC-10599-00001365715747C2.jpg

This is how much room he has to grow. A pretty good amount. :)
7600DAD5-8C83-41BD-BE60-B6F0B250EAD0-10599-000013657EB6FD27.jpg

Kaleigh fits in the BLVD 70 on the top setting.

This is Kaleigh in the HD.
09CB0488-82F1-4652-9521-9A22941C16E7-10599-000013651720B225.jpg

Growing room....
514563CC-6CA1-4C5C-AE96-C1D1BC192B9F-10599-00001365055EE2B3.jpg

4BC83BA4-43CB-4BA4-B640-A0E442A343B8-10599-000013650E64D5B0.jpg

The deal breaker for me is the crotch buckle. It digs into the kids thighs and isn't comfortable for them at all. :( If they made it with a longer crotch buckle and added EPP foam to the sides of the headrest, I'd have kept it for sure. Because of those issues, I returned it. But if they'd fix that it'd be an awesome seat, especially for the price.

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

I immediately noticed the short crotch strap :( That was one thing I really liked about the Evenflo Securekid...nice long crotch strap.

Syllieann

The headrest might be a deal breaker for me too. Is it hollow, like the dreamtime? That is blow molded plastic right? How is the buckle, not the same as nautilus and secure kid I hope?

TeenaMarie

Do you know about how long the buckle is?
W're looking for a new seat for my niece and we thought this would be a good option(inexpensive and very comparable to her main seat, a graco nautulis) she'd be in it maybe twice a month and she is very thin so i'm hoping this won't be a problem.
She wears 4t and5t for legnth but for fit around her legs and waist she fits 18-24month shorts and skirts.

Brycen'sMommy

I just bought one too and absolutely love it except for the crotch strap. It is really short. I can hardly buckle my very thin 2 & 4 year olds. I'm going to email Harmony and see if I can get a longer buckle. We are going to have to keep the seat regardless because it fits perfectly in a really difficult spot in DH's Ford Flex.

Phineasmama

The crotch strap was great for my 1 year old :rolleyes:
I don't know why they do stuff like that, honestly. Otherwise it was a really nice seat!

glockchick

Do you know about how long the buckle is?
W're looking for a new seat for my niece and we thought this would be a good option(inexpensive and very comparable to her main seat, a graco nautulis) she'd be in it maybe twice a month and she is very thin so i'm hoping this won't be a problem.
She wears 4t and5t for legnth but for fit around her legs and waist she fits 18-24month shorts and skirts.

I'm sorry. I didn't measure it. It's shorter than the Britax and way shorter than the Nautilus. FYI, the Nautilus is on sale at Target this week for $115 which is only $15 more than the Harmony. Less if you have a target card. ;)

glockchick

The headrest might be a deal breaker for me too. Is it hollow, like the dreamtime? That is blow molded plastic right? How is the buckle, not the same as nautilus and secure kid I hope?

Yes, it's hollow but it feels solid, kinda like the Frontier. It is blow molded plastic.

The buckle and chest clip are great. Similar to the Britax clips. I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same supplier.

Phineasmama

I'm sorry. I didn't measure it. It's shorter than the Britax and way shorter than the Nautilus. FYI, the Nautilus is on sale at Target this week for $115 which is only $15 more than the Harmony. Less if you have a target card. ;)

Mine are all sold out but I'm pretty sure Target does rainchecks on that kind of stuff. Not that I need another harnessed seat but in case anyone else does :)

TeenaMarie

Too bad we won't be getting her next seat till the end of the month.
But this seat will be in the jeep and thats my mothers car, she doesn't like how difficult the nautulis is to unbuckle. :/

christineka

The buckle and chest clip are great. Similar to the Britax clips. I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same supplier.

The chest clip looks exactly like the one on the true fit- picture and everything. The true fit clip is the same as britax, except it has the picture. It's made by immi. The crotch buckle is also the same as the true fit's, the old sk radians, and various other seats. It's also made by immi. I hope they make a longer crotch strap for the seat. I don't like how short the true fit's is.

christineka

I saw on the measurements data (which, btw is mostly lacking- so if you have the seat, maybe add your measurements) that the defender is good for 10 years. Is that true?

MomToEliEm

I saw on the measurements data (which, btw is mostly lacking- so if you have the seat, maybe add your measurements) that the defender is good for 10 years. Is that true?

I pulled up the manual this morning and saw the 10 year expiration info on page 7 of the manual.
http://harmonyjuvenile.com/uploads/instructions171.pdf

To prevent injury due to deterioration, hidden damage, etc., discontinue use of this child restraint after ten years. There is an expiry date for use of this child restraint indicated on the underside of the child restraint base. STOP USING THE CHILD RESTRAINT AND THROW IT AWAY after the date indicated. Please dispose of the unit in a way others cannot reuse it (e.g. use a dark trash bag, do not sell to a thrift shop or in a garage sale, etc.).

Syllieann

From the manual, it still seems a bit ambiguous if it is ten years for the entire thing or if there may be separate dates stamped on the bottom for harness vs booster use. It could be that it's only 6 yrs for harness and 10 yrs as nbb, then I'd be bummed.

SavsMom

I'm not great at measuring, but this might be helpful (not sure how to add these to the data area):

These are compressed

Lowest harness height: 11"
Highest harness height: 18.5"
1st crotch buckle position: 6"
2nd crotch buckle position: 8"
Internal seating depth: 12-13"
Internal seat height: 29-30"
Seat width at widest point (armrest): 17"
Lowest booster belt guide: 14"
Highest booster belt guide: 20-21"

Syllieann

I'm impressed with the booster height! What is the external depth? I have a feeling that will be important since no overhang is allowed.

SavsMom

Syllieann said:
I'm impressed with the booster height! What is the external depth? I have a feeling that will be important since no overhang is allowed.

I placed the seat on its back on the floor and measured about 16" from the point where the seat back was touching the floor to the front edge of the bottom of the seat.

The actual seat bottom (the backless part) measures less but with the back on it causes it to protrude a bit more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC