anyone LOVE the foonf

ADS

Persimmon

I already posted this under the Foonf + 2009 Forester thread but figured I'd put it here also...

I love the Foonf but maybe not for reasons that will apply to everyone. The most important reason is that I can continue to RF DS who just turned 3 and outgrew his BLVD 70 RF. Due to professional experiences, there was absolutely no way I was going to turn DS FF before 4 at the earliest if humanly possible. DH is car seat challenged so ease-of-use was paramount. It was hard for me to find a harness/buckle that is easier to use properly than the BLVD 70 but the Foonf is it. The harness/buckle/chest clip seem sturdy and well made. Installing seats tight enough is also a challenge for DH. I told him if he ever has to install the Foonf just to use the FF rigid LATCH for his van and attach the top tether. I figure he can do that properly and a proper FF is better than too loose RF. Unfortunately you can never use the LATCH RF and only to something like 28 lbs FF in a Subaru due to the heavy weight of the seat. The Subaru is my car so I really only have to worry about DH using the harness since he mostly sits in back with DS. That means we had to buy 2 Foonfs. Ouch.

Besides the dreamy harness, my son loves his Foonfs. We don't have to fight to get him into his seat anymore! I prefer a seat with anti-rebound and prefer a bar to a tether. The height for now isn't a problem in my car as far as seeing well. I will move him OB RF if it does. If FF height is a problem in the center, I am not sure what I will do. I was given an almost new Frontier 85 SICT from my sister so I feel like I have some great choices. Height isn't going to be an issue in DH's Mazda MPV van since DS rides behind the driver. My husband is 5'6" and he couldn't see well when it was in the other captain's chair pushed to the center. The alleged awesome safety features for FF are gravy. Since I don't get to pick when I may have an accident, not just what kind of accident I may have, I wanted to get the best seat for now and as far as possible into the future, and call it good. I don't let DS eat in his seat due to the choking risk so between that and the Crypton fabric the seat should wear well. I figure I can always sell it later.

The Forester skinny center seat has a hump but the Foonf fits well and doesn't interfere with the OB seat buckles. Even though it sits up high I am not sure what it will puzzle with OB in this car, if anything. I know it won't work with a BLVD 70 due to the OB seat shape. I can readily install it so that it barely moves and I am not the best at these things. I have had a tech approve it. I like how is doesn't have toxic chemicals, is made in Canada, and is recyclable. On one of my Foonfs, 1 of the 2 buttons that hold the rigid seat pad in place doesn't lock and the other is hard to release unless you push down on the seat pad on that side. The seat pad stays in place nicely though. Clek is replacing that seat due to a cosmetic defect in the cover. They were very pleasant to deal with and have always been very helpful when I have had any questions.

So, all in all I love my Foonf. I wish it didn't sit up so high but I believe that might be to accommodate the FF safety features?? It still isn't too close to the roof for my comfort in my car though and the height is one of the reasons why my son loves it. I don't have a problem with the extra parts. I don't need to install or uninstall the rebound bar and headrest often so it is a non-issue for me. It feels great to drive around with DS RF center and to have confidence that he is always riding in seats that will most likely be used properly.

ETA: Using the updated LATCH limit of 65 pound FF with top tether, you can use LATCH FF with a child up to 33 lbs in a Subaru.

Last edited:

GeekDad

I just wanted to reaffirm some of the items already mentioned. We have had our Foonf for a bit now (installed Dec 22) and are quite pleased with it.

Pros!

1) and a big one, Miss I (13m, 22lb, 31.5") seems VERY happy and content with the seat. Tons more room especially for her legs. She sleeps well in it, and when she wakes up I don't even notice because she is comfortable and doesn't make a fuss at all. I liked the Marathon65 we had just purchased in the summer, but she would only nap for 30-40 mins and then wakeup very unhappy and it made trips less than ideal.

2) The Marathon was already making her squish her legs though so the Foonf helps thats a lot.

3) I thought the Britax was easy to tighten and couldn't get better, well I was wrong. Foonf+

4) The height is both a pro and con. It seems Miss I likes being up that high and can see out all the windows, which may be a factor in keeping her entertained and not fussy. It's not the easiest of tasks to get her in and out of the seat with it installed OB and dealing with the door frame.

5) I'm Canadian and was happy to purchase and support a seat made in Canada. :) I was also lucky enough to get a Heart Shades model so that's an added bonus as well (looks very nice).

Cons.

1) Height of the seat makes loading/unloading child in OB position a challenge.

2) Manual needs some work/revisions.

3) The wait lol. It was well worth it imho.

Overall, very happy. Any questions ask away, I will do my best to answer.

GeekDad

Did you post pictures?

Here they come... I hope lol! Seat installed in a 2005 Honda Pilot. The front seat had to be moved up about 2/3 of the way. In an extremely upright position I can fit in (6'2"), but with any sort of recline my legs won't fit. It's even a tight fit for Mom but doable (5'10").

Just after install. Picture taken by snowbird25ca on Dec 22nd.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2cgn7s5cmpeqw6/Photo%202012-12-22%2012%2023%2012%20PM.jpg

Side view from the back seat -- trying to give a perspective to how high the unit rides.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dj470kqhbvauw9/Photo%202013-01-13%202%2005%2034%20PM.jpg

View to see how high it is against front passenger seat.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8xlapqlu7je3ut/Photo%202013-01-13%202%2011%2010%20PM.jpg

From outside the vehicle with doorframe in view. Luckily my Pilot had a bigger opening than my sister's Acadia (pretty much a no go in OB position), but still I feel like I have to contort Miss I a little to get her out (putting her in I use a sort of bassinet/swing kind of motion to put her in horizontally).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1tbtiw4nffujgf/Photo%202013-01-13%202%2021%2022%20PM.jpg

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC