Bucket seats for twins

biddyk8

My friends due twins in the summer and is looking recommendations for infant seats for them. What seats are good for babies that will likely be small? I was thinking the snugride but wasn't sure with the buckle issues?

ADS

Ninetales

The regular Snugride isn't usually a first choice because the lowest harness slot tends to be too high for small babies, and usually twins are on the small side.

The Snugride 35 and 30 are often good fits, and I'm sure at least one of them is rated from 4lbs. I'm not very familiar with the other major infant seats and/or what's available in Canada.

amyd

The Evenflo Embrace 35 would be a good choice or the Safety 1st OnBoard 22. Does she plan to use a stroller for the seats? Her choice may be limited somewhat by what type of stroller she has her eye on.

biddyk8

She only found out it was twins today and she has a 15month old and a 3 year old:eek:. So she will be looking for a triple buggy I think. I don't think many triples other than the peg perego one fit car seats on them so I don't think that will limit her choices, as I think she wants a different stroller.

Christie

Not sure in CA, but the chicco keyfit 30 goes downtown 4 lbs and fits tiny babies great.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

canadiangie

She only found out it was twins today and she has a 15month old and a 3 year old:eek:. So she will be looking for a triple buggy I think. I don't think many triples other than the peg perego one fit car seats on them so I don't think that will limit her choices, as I think she wants a different stroller.

Oh wow.

Is she just 12 weeks-ish?

I wonder if the new super lightweight Graco ClickConnect 35 will make its way here this year. It's supposed to be a 4-35 lb seat, and weigh just 7.5 pounds.

Your friend sure will have a lot of children to carry. It might be nice to have a super lightweight seat x 2 to lug.

Graco is also very adaptable to many strollers. Even if she could just dock one seat to a stroller it might be helpful in a pinch.

I would likely wear someone at all times and get a Valco Trimode double with jump seat. Also, because I'm a rebel, I wouldn't hesitate to lay both babies together in one stroller seat when they're tiny, put my 3yo in the other seat, and the 15mo in the front jump seat. I'd keep a baby carrier with me at all times, and just sort of make it work.

What I will say is that I would never buy a Triplette and two Peg infant seats.

Anyway, back to the seats, you should call Graco and see if Canada is getting the SRCC35 this year. :)

biddyk8

I would likely wear someone at all times and get a Valco Trimode double with jump seat. Also, because I'm a rebel, I wouldn't hesitate to lay both babies together in one stroller seat when they're tiny, put my 3yo in the other seat, and the 15mo in the front jump seat. I'd keep a baby carrier with me at all times, and just sort of make it work.

This is exactly what I recommended to her, stroller and all.

Is the graco buckle problem not a problem on the new seats?

canadiangie

Oh that darn buckle issue. :thumbsdown: You know I'm not sure. I don't know where Graco is with that, how bad the situation really is, etc. I know from reading here people are pretty irritated. That said, if she has time she should wait to buy her seats. For all we know, Graco seats could have a new buckle tomorrow. I'm sure at some point they are going to fix the issue..

If not, I guess she should look at something else. Mainly I'm intrigued by any seat that's 4-35lbs and only weighs 7.5 pounds...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I love our B-safe. We did respite for a friend for a weekend and took care of a barely 5lbs 3 month old preemie (he was actually not 'due' until the week after I took care of him). The B-safe fit him fabulously! He needed to be on the *second* slots already! :eek: Now I have my 19lbs, 27" 6 month old riding in it. Really love this seat!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I'm not even sure that anyone in Canada is having this problem. I've seen one family who complained about the buckle, but it turned out she was trying to release it like a more traditional buckle. When I tested it after she showed how stiff it was, it released like normal. Once I showed her how to release it, she was able to do it with ease.

We sell a ton of the Graco seats at work and as of yet I haven't been hearing complaints about the buckle. That doesn't mean it's not happening at all in Canada, but I'm in a position where I frequently hear complaints before they get brought to a company's attention, so if it is happening in Canada, it's not common place. (Evenflo is using what appears to be the same buckle on the embrace 35 and the maestro now for the last year. No complaints about them either - I think a lot of it is about what style somebody is used to. It's certainly not something that would prevent me from buying a seat with that style of buckle at any rate - not with what I've been exposed to so far.)

eta: SR30 and SR35 are both rated from 4lbs. The SR35 is heavier but is definitely going to last a lot longer. The SR30 is significantly narrower so far as interior shoulder space goes. The Keyfit and On Board/Sure Fit are both great choices, and the Embrace 35 and Britax seats are good too - there's actually a lot of choice for 4lb minimum seats out there now. If she has a fairly small vehicle so far as front-to-back space goes, then that would move the Keyfit to the top of the list. If she's needing to do 3 across in a smaller vehicle, then that would bump the SR30 to the top of the list.

smackeen

I have had 3 on my facebook group have problems with the newer buckles. I did not see the seats personally.

At least two called graco and they are sending out new harness/buckle.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have had 3 on my facebook group have problems with the newer buckles. I did not see the seats personally.

At least two called graco and they are sending out new harness/buckle.

Canadian facebook group?

It's weird how it is splotchy that way. The only complaint I've had turned out to be a normal buckle and was just the way the mom was trying to release it. Not saying that all the problems are like that, but I think the majority of them are.

shinaynay17

I have twins who just turned 5 months old and a 18 month old. I had bought a double graco stroller and the first time I went shopping (babies were 3 days old) I hated it. I went out and ordered the valco trimode with the toddler seat. I am in love with this stroller. Little babies fit nicely in there. The stroller saved me. You can get a toddler step for on the back of it too so her 3 year old could ride on that. I know that if I didn't have that stroller I probably wouldn't be able to ever go out. I use it for grocery shopping, going for walks to the park, hubby's soccer and hockey games, and so much more. Definitely worth the investment!! They also have amazing resale value!! I have graco snugride 32 and 35 seats. I love the seats and I still find that if need be I can carry both of those with one hand and my toddler in the other!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC