Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Pros/cons to a 4 cylinder crossover?

First off let me say my normal daily speeds are under 60 mph and I will not be towing anything

I use the highway maybe 3 times a month for short distances. Mainly considering it for the extra mpg ( in this case it's 19/26 vs 17/25 on the 6 cylinder ).

I've read reviews about not having enough power and they can be noisy? True? Downfalls? Pros?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Pros/cons to a 4 cylinder crossover?

Which car? How heavy? Would it be normally aspirated?
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

Senior Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
    Which car? How heavy? Would it be normally aspirated?
    Duh! Should have added its a 2012/2013 Dodge Journey. Not sure on the weight but Ill look it up

Senior Community Member
    Curb weight is 3818, gross weight is 5,005. Also naturally aspirated... But I have no idea what that actually means :/

Reviews of that 4 cylinder aren't great. Sub par gas mileage with slow acceleration. I've found dodge 4 cylinder engines to be raspy and loud. What about a 4 cylinder Ford with ecoboost?
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

Senior Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
    Reviews of that 4 cylinder aren't great. Sub par has mileage with slow acceleration. I've found dodge 4 cylinder engines to be raspy and loud. What about a 4 cylinder Ford with ecoboost?
    Out of my price range I need a vehicle with third row around $18k.

New or used? Certified preowned?
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Look at the 2012 Mazda5. We just got the sport model brand new for 18 with them clearing them out. Gets decent mileage and seats 6. The 4 cylinder engine seems like it'll be just fine.

CCO 4/15

Was just going to suggest the Mazda 5 too. I have rented a journey and a Mazda 5 and greatly preferred the Mazda 5.
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

Hyundai Sante Fe has a 3rd row option in some models.

No TA's and its an in-a-pinch 3rd row at best, but I thought I'd mention it.

What about a Sorento? Veracruz? Bit bigger than Sante Fe.

Journey just doesn't do it for me. Not for a full time 3across, and trust me I'm very pro 3across, but the Journey isn't my cup of tea at all.

A friend f mine has one and I've installed seats with her many times.

I would really not go for the journey, I don't know anyone who has ever owned one who liked it
    L 12/08 riding in a Zebra FR90 52lbs 48in
    J 12/11 riding rfing in a Laguna G4 BLVD 28lbs 35in

A 10/14 riding in a SS1!

Carseat Crazy
    Dodge tends to be bottom of the barrel in build quality & tends to overstate their gas mileage.

I wouldn't give up a six cylinder engine for 1-2 mpg in any car, but especially not in a Dodge product. Having acceleration as well as braking as options for avoiding an accident is very important to me.

A 2009/2010 Ford Flex with 40-50k miles would fit your price range. I'm sure some other lightly used models would as well.
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.

My bf works for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep and has since the Journey was introduced. He says that build quality has improved greatly and that he would advise going with the V6 as the 4 cylinder tends to be underpowered and causes more engine wear/stress.

I would also look at the Mazda5 as another option, but even I would consider a Journey now as they really have been doing a better job of build quality (this coming from a die hard Toyota owner who isn't very impressed with their "quality" anymore, lol).

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard