Pros/cons to a 4 cylinder crossover?

love-pink

First off let me say my normal daily speeds are under 60 mph and I will not be towing anything :D

I use the highway maybe 3 times a month for short distances. Mainly considering it for the extra mpg ( in this case it's 19/26 vs 17/25 on the 6 cylinder ).

I've read reviews about not having enough power and they can be noisy? True? Downfalls? Pros?

ADS

tl01

Reviews of that 4 cylinder aren't great. Sub par gas mileage with slow acceleration. I've found dodge 4 cylinder engines to be raspy and loud. What about a 4 cylinder Ford with ecoboost?

love-pink

Reviews of that 4 cylinder aren't great. Sub par has mileage with slow acceleration. I've found dodge 4 cylinder engines to be raspy and loud. What about a 4 cylinder Ford with ecoboost?

Out of my price range :( I need a vehicle with third row around $18k.

Dillipop

Look at the 2012 Mazda5. We just got the sport model brand new for 18 with them clearing them out. Gets decent mileage and seats 6. The 4 cylinder engine seems like it'll be just fine.

tl01

Was just going to suggest the Mazda 5 too. I have rented a journey and a Mazda 5 and greatly preferred the Mazda 5.

canadiangie

Hyundai Sante Fe has a 3rd row option in some models.

No TA's and its an in-a-pinch 3rd row at best, but I thought I'd mention it.

What about a Sorento? Veracruz? Bit bigger than Sante Fe.

Journey just doesn't do it for me. Not for a full time 3across, and trust me I'm very pro 3across, but the Journey isn't my cup of tea at all.

A friend f mine has one and I've installed seats with her many times.

kathysr98

Dodge tends to be bottom of the barrel in build quality & tends to overstate their gas mileage.

I wouldn't give up a six cylinder engine for 1-2 mpg in any car, but especially not in a Dodge product. Having acceleration as well as braking as options for avoiding an accident is very important to me.

A 2009/2010 Ford Flex with 40-50k miles would fit your price range. I'm sure some other lightly used models would as well.

SavsMom

My bf works for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep and has since the Journey was introduced. He says that build quality has improved greatly and that he would advise going with the V6 as the 4 cylinder tends to be underpowered and causes more engine wear/stress.

I would also look at the Mazda5 as another option, but even I would consider a Journey now as they really have been doing a better job of build quality (this coming from a die hard Toyota owner who isn't very impressed with their "quality" anymore, lol).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC