Would you use a S4M over a SK radian in a tight 3-across?

arly1983

We are still rocking our tight 3-across and my boys are only getting bigger. The radian FFing is a nice fit for DS2 (42 in/41.5 lbs/17.25 in torso) and has a 1 in to grow. However, my DS1 is growing, too, at 70 lbs & 4'1 and getting broader in the shoulders. Even though he is in a backless, room is tight on his side of the car.

Our car is a lease and I need to drive it for at least 10 more months. DH will be deployed in Oct and if space is still an issue I can switch to his 97 camry when I have all 3 kids with me since his back seat is so much wider than mine. By the time he gets home we will be soon up on our lease and DH has promised me a bigger car. I can't take his right now because he commutes so far and we need to stay under the mileage on the lease.

Now that the long story is over, here is my question. I am fairly certain that a S4M will fit in the middle of my 3-across nicely. Shoulder room is where we are having the squeeze. Since the S4M is on a 15 in base and 14.5 wide at the back with the widest part of the seat being at the front, I am hoping that DS1 can sit behind the sides. The radian is 14 ins at the base and 17 ins at the shoulder and it sits flush with the seat. When we had the radian and the classic MA I would much rather sit next to the classic MA.

Does that make sense? You think it would be worth a shot?

Only other option I could think of that might work and that DS2 would still fit in would be a recaro euro.

I know that the S4M has buckle issues. I have a maestro in DH's car with the same type of buckle and though its not my favorite buckle we are using it with no problems.

I would try out a S4M in a store but I can't find one in a 3 hour driving radius. I was hoping amazon would get it but they haven't yet. :( So odds are that when I buy it there will be no returning it or losing quite a bit of money on it if it doesn't work out.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Might work, ya, it's pretty narrow at passenger's hip and shoulder. All the new seats are coming out in the next couple weeks, it might even be at Target? (Called the Headwise), (Not that I know if you're even near a Target! LOL).

arly1983

Might work, ya, it's pretty narrow at passenger's hip and shoulder. All the new seats are coming out in the next couple weeks, it might even be at Target? (Called the Headwise), (Not that I know if you're even near a Target! LOL).

Nowhere near a Target. ;) Just a couple of dinky little walmarts.

I bought one off of FSOT. I figure that my sister or aunt will want it if it doesn't work out for us. Now to cross my fingers and wait. :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC