Need encouragement to booster train - Thanks!!

Athena

Hi. Looking at all that ice and snow out there is making me nervous about booster training my booster aged DD. Any tips? Anyone want to offer encouragement or share about their experiences? Thanks!

I hope this is in the right forum and not too OT.

Last edited:
ADS

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I was super nervous to start booster training my oldest last summer, but he was outgrowing the GN he was only 38lbs at the time! I thought it was important for him to know how to ride in a booster before kindergarten in case something came up and somone else had to take him home. Which happend twice, so I'm glad I did it.

We started off in the house talking about the booster itself and the responsibility that come with sitting in a booster. We talked about consequences and expectations. I explained how he needed to sit in the booster, and he demonstrated. From there we went on short trips around the block, then around the neighborhood, then around the town that we lived in at the time, which was very small. He took to it very quickly. He is now boostered full time (except if we are taking a long trip, then he goes in the FN85).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
There is no evidence that properly used boosters are any less safe than properly used harnessed seats.

On the other hand, if your daughter still fits in her harnessed seat, there's nothing wrong with waiting another two or three months to booster train.

GirlFriday

I'm waiting until spring to booster train. The snow and ice make me nervous, I don't want the added distraction of making sure DS is sitting properly.

Athena

I'm waiting until spring to booster train. The snow and ice make me nervous, I don't want the added distraction of making sure DS is sitting properly.

Glad to hear I'm not alone! If only I could wait until spring. Well, maybe I can, but it's a matter of a seat being nearly outgrown, so it's hard to say. Tempted to try to wait, but I don't know.

There is no evidence that properly used boosters are any less safe than properly used harnessed seats.

On the other hand, if your daughter still fits in her harnessed seat, there's nothing wrong with waiting another two or three months to booster train.

Thanks for the reaffirmation that it is safe. I guess it just feels less safe knowing she could get out of position. Age 6 is still quite young to be responsible for their own safety. I'll have to take another look to see if we might be able to wait a little longer. Maybe we'll get a warmer break during this awful winter.

Athena

I was super nervous to start booster training my oldest last summer, but he was outgrowing the GN he was only 38lbs at the time! I thought it was important for him to know how to ride in a booster before kindergarten in case something came up and somone else had to take him home. Which happend twice, so I'm glad I did it.

We started off in the house talking about the booster itself and the responsibility that come with sitting in a booster. We talked about consequences and expectations. I explained how he needed to sit in the booster, and he demonstrated. From there we went on short trips around the block, then around the neighborhood, then around the town that we lived in at the time, which was very small. He took to it very quickly. He is now boostered full time (except if we are taking a long trip, then he goes in the FN85).

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It's great to hear about what worked and encouraging to hear that it went so well.

I see you have a turbo safety surround and a monterey. I'm curious which one you started the training with and how you like those seats for your skinny kid. Although my DD is a bit bigger (by almost 3 inches and pounds), it sounds like they are of a similar body types. Although neither had been used yet, I have two boosters sitting here that I recently purchased, a regular turbo (probably for travel) and a Monterey (still waiting on new head piece to arrive to see if it works). Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC