How many lap/shoulder belts in an old van?

bnsnyde

I'm trying to think this carseat problem through. How many lap/shoulder belts could you expect in an older taxi van? I am just GUESSING what we might find at the airport. To be prepared for the worst...it's related to my other thread but more specific. I called one hotel.

If you HAD to take a van and the kids were 1, 3, 4, 6 and 7? Plus 2 adults? Let's say you have 4 backless boosters (or 3 and a harnessed seat), and a carseat for the baby.

(Note this would be from the airport in Puerto Rico to a resort, and back). Many of them just say to take a taxi or taxi-van. At least there are restraints.
So is that better than a shuttle bus with no restraints?

Trying to think of a safe way to get us to the actual hotel, knowing we can't carry much.

Husband refuses to even GO if I bring 2 carseats on the plane (last trip we brought 4). So just 1 for the baby. But he'd be OK with checking a harnessed seat for 3-year-old. I just need to know what I'd be dealing with in terms of the other end.

ADS

Keeanh

How old is "old"? '90s vehicle would have shoulder belts outboard, lap belt centre rear. '80s vehicle could potentially have all lap belts in the back. If the shuttle bus was a full-sized modern-ish bus, I'd probably go with that and not have to worry about car seats. If it was a small bus, then yeah... I dunno... :eek:

bnsnyde

Current taxi-vans at the Puerto Rico airport. I have no idea!
I imagine they could range from newer to not so new...but I can't imagine 80's, or even early 90's. But I don't know.

Keeanh

Current taxi-vans at the Puerto Rico airport. I have no idea!
I imagine they could range from newer to not so new...but I can't imagine 80's, or even early 90's. But I don't know.

My mom has a 7-seat '93 Aerostar. It has 6 shoulder belts, 1 lap belt. If you go with the van, make sure you have a couple locking clips.

kam1011

I'd rather go on the bus than mess around with less-than-ideal carseat scenarios and/or vehicles. Buses are very safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC