baby carrier suggestions

D&L's-mommy

I currently have a MT, that I love,but dont' like to use it before about 18months. I'm going to be watching my niece, starting in 3 weeks (she's 2 1/2 weeks old). I'm torn between a moby,(that I have used before and had a love/hate relationship with), and a baby k'tan. I'd love a woven wrap,but they are above my budget. I want something easy to put on, and comfortable. my biggest issue with the moby was you had to keep it folded in half, while trying to put it on with kids running around, in the dirty parking lot, but once you got it on it was so comfy, but got all messed up putting baby in and out. anyone use a MT with a tiny one? if so, how do you keep them from squishing down in it? What other carriers are good for tiny ones?

Last edited:
ADS

Kegracin

Have you tried rolling the bottom of the MT? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc4-tSd0a2U"]Using a Mei tai baby carrier with a newborn by Frogmama baby carriers - YouTube[/ame]

MommyShannon

I like both of those. The Moby is more comfortable over longer periods and once wrapped you just leave it on unless it loosens. The Ktan has to be put on again but its easy to do and won't drag on the ground. I go back and forth on which I prefer. Now that A. Is 6 months I am mostly using the Moby and Ergo.
ETA: if we are going somewhere I need the Moby, I put it on at home before leaving.

D&L's-mommy

I have tried this, I just feel like once I put her in froggy position and get her in she just continues to slide down into a lump, maybe I just need to keep playing around with it

I like both of those. The Moby is more comfortable over longer periods and once wrapped you just leave it on unless it loosens. The Ktan has to be put on again but its easy to do and won't drag on the ground. I go back and forth on which I prefer. Now that A. Is 6 months I am mostly using the Moby and Ergo.
ETA: if we are going somewhere I need the Moby, I put it on at home before leaving.

My friend puts her moby on at home too before going out. Do you still need the infant insert for the ergo at months?

aept

With my second and third, in the newborn stage, I liked wearing them either in a non-padded ring sling, (worn very tight with the baby positioned mostly upright), or froggied in the babyhawk (rolled up on the bottom when very small.)
My newbs were about 7lbs and loved both of those carriers. The sling could also be used to position them more horizontal. It's very versatile. I also used a woven wrap, but that was mostly just around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I've used mei-tais (BabyHawks) from birth. Froggy-style. I never had a baby squish down. Are you sure you're tightening enough? Once I got them in there, it was the same as if I were holding them in the same position. (Maybe the BabyHawk has a stiffer back than some others?)

I also love an upright front-carry in a ring sling for n00bs.

attachedmama

You don't have to fold the Moby. It can be gathered. And I totally second putting it on before you leave- that's what I did, too. Moby is my first choice for newborns, hands down. Then Ergo when babe has head control- I didn't love the infant insert, but maybe you can try that, too?

wnkw

I've been using a baby ktan with dd 2. We'll be switching to an ergo now that I got one, but the baby ktan is what I've used since a week or 2, up until now (5.5 months/19ish lbs)

D&L's-mommy

thanks for the suggestions. My concern is when I have all 3 kids at the amusement park alone (we have season passes), and the kids play musical chairs all day (who's in the stroller, who's walking, who's on a ride, etc) plus if I want to go on a little ride (like the carousel or train) with the kids I want to be able to pop the baby on and off. I had a bjorn was great for that, but they suck, :rolleyes: hhmm,, now i'm just being difficult, lol. I guess this is why it's good to have a few carriers

Keeanh

Beco Butterfly? It has the infant insert. (v1 has a sewn-in infant insert, v2 has a removable one). You can take the baby out without taking the carrier off because you just unbuckle the outside panel at the shoulders.

I used my Angelpack from birth with #8. It's quite narrow (about 12") at the bottom of the panel, so she was already legs out at about 1.5mo.

MommyShannon

I like the moby for popping on and off. It's also nice that there isn't a structured waist so sitting is comfortable. I have a Beco butterfly II. I like it, but prefer the moby or ergo.

Shanora

When using the Mei tai make sure to tie the straps behind babes back so that it keeps them more upright and doesn't allow them to slump. Also rolling the bottom will shorten the body so that babes head is further out of the carrier....and you can see babes head and its not burried. http://youtu.be/yXxcj0bYdL8

D&L's-mommy

When using the Mei tai make sure to tie the straps behind babes back so that it keeps them more upright and doesn't allow them to slump. Also rolling the bottom will shorten the body so that babes head is further out of the carrier....and you can see babes head and its not burried. http://youtu.be/yXxcj0bYdL8

I do roll the bottom, that's a good tip in the video to tie the straps off to the side, I think I'm not tying it tight enough because I'm afraid to hurt her

I like the moby for popping on and off. It's also nice that there isn't a structured waist so sitting is comfortable. I have a Beco butterfly II. I like it, but prefer the moby or ergo.

that's what I like about the moby, there's an actual seat to support her, but I can make it adjust to any size I need

Mercuria

You could buy fabric for a woven wrap, and that could be in your budget... :) You don't even need to sew. You could use hem tape.

D&L's-mommy

You could buy fabric for a woven wrap, and that could be in your budget... :) You don't even need to sew. You could use hem tape.

I seriously thought about doing this, I've never seen a "real" woven wrap up close, what kind of fabric could it be compared to? Like bed sheet fabric, or dress slacks fabric,upholstery fabric, or is it more like a tapestry fabric with more visible weave? I guess really I could use any woven fabric, as long as it's not too stiff. I've also seem people make their own moby style wrap, but to get good heavy gauge knit fabric is expensive (when you're buying 5-6 yards)

newyorkDOC

There's a fabric from ikea that is popular for DIY wraps. I don't recall the name but I'm sure you can google it. I think a diagonal weave is preferred but honestly don't know why. I've read the weave 101 thread on TBW and frankly there are wraps with all sorts of weaves. My ellaroo is not diagonally woven and my storch is a diamond weave. I've never even tried a diagonal weave.

I don't consider wraps poppable TBH. I suck at pre-tieing apparently. I just don't feel like the subsequent wrap job is precise enough.

I've recently read that it's preferable not to tie the knot for a MT behind a babies back but off to the side. I don't use a MT though as DS seems to knot like it much.

D&L's-mommy

There's a fabric from ikea that is popular for DIY wraps. I don't recall the name but I'm sure you can google it. I think a diagonal weave is preferred but honestly don't know why. I've read the weave 101 thread on TBW and frankly there are wraps with all sorts of weaves. My ellaroo is not diagonally woven and my storch is a diamond weave. I've never even tried a diagonal weave.

I don't consider wraps poppable TBH. I suck at pre-tieing apparently. I just don't feel like the subsequent wrap job is precise enough.

I've recently read that it's preferable not to tie the knot for a MT behind a babies back but off to the side. I don't use a MT though as DS seems to knot like it much.

what is tbw?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC