Baby Hates Carseat

longstocking

I'm sure I'm not the first one to have this problem ... my 6 month old has hated her carseat since day one. Her first ride home from the hospital she fought and screamed and has been doing that for the last 6 months. After this recent 5 hour drive to visit family I can't take it anymore. I had to sit next to her the whole time and be constant entertainment. She still screamed and fought but less loudly. She is in a Keyfit 30 ... what do you suggest we try first? Getting her a convertible so she's more upright?
Since day one she also fought sleeping on her back and even swaddled managed to flip herself over to her stomach and has slept happily on her stomach ever since. I kind of wonder if it's the same problem when being in a carseat? Maybe she feels like she's being forced to lay back? I don't know why she hates laying on her back so bad.
If I go the convertible rout I have no idea what to get, I haven't done any recent research on the latest and greatest (and affordable!)
What worked for all you parents of carseat hating kids?
Also ... if it matters ... we have a 1998 Suburban and baby girl is 16.2 lbs and 25 not quite 3/4 inches long.

ADS

longstocking

I just edited with babies height/weight. And our budget is not much more than $100

I probably should have posted this in the Regular Carseat area huh? I get confused sometimes - LOL

crunchierthanthou

Have you tried installing the keyfit more upright? As long as her head doesn't flop forward, the bubble indicator can be anywhere between the two lines.

Holly

I'd get a Harmony Defender for A, it's $100. Then I'd put B in the Roundabout 50. It will probably be easier for him to climb in without the high base of the Britax, and then no need to buy another convertible when you already have one. Or you could get a Graco Nautilus this week at Target for $115. For A or K, it's forward facing only.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I'd get a Harmony Defender for A, it's $100. Then I'd put B in the Roundabout 50. It will probably be easier for him to climb in without the high base of the Britax, and then no need to buy another convertible when you already have one. Or you could get a Graco Nautilus this week at Target for $115. For A or K, it's forward facing only.

I'm going to assume you responded to the wrong thread.... :)

I would go to Babies R Us (if you have one nearby, or buy buy baby) and try the Graco Myride and the Evenflo Triumph Advance and see which one SHE seems to prefer. You can put her in it in the store, then try it in your car and try her again to see if you notice a difference. These two seats both have a good amount of padding. Then try any other seat in the store in your price range (or close to your price range as you can almost always find the seats cheaper online.) The one she cries the least in (or hopefully no crying at all) is your winner.

In the meantime I would also try and install her seat slightly more upright, then maybe she won't feel like she is "laying" down.

NVMBR02

I think Holly was suggesting the OP buy seats for her older children and pass down a convertible she already owns. I am fairly certain the Holly and the OP are IRL friends. ;)

I agree with most of the suggestions. If you do in fact have an older, forward facing child using a convertible seat I would buy a new forward facing seat and pass down the convertible you already own. IME, the combo/forward facing only seats generally have a higher harness height and will likely be more useful to you.

crunchierthanthou

I would go to Babies R Us (if you have one nearby, or buy buy baby) and try the Graco Myride and the Evenflo Triumph Advance and see which one SHE seems to prefer. You can put her in it in the store, then try it in your car and try her again to see if you notice a difference. These two seats both have a good amount of padding. Then try any other seat in the store in your price range (or close to your price range as you can almost always find the seats cheaper online.) The one she cries the least in (or hopefully no crying at all) is your winner.

In the meantime I would also try and install her seat slightly more upright, then maybe she won't feel like she is "laying" down.

I'm guessing A is an older child who is already riding in the RA50. Holly is saying to just get an affordable combo seat for the older child and use the convertible for the baby (B). That's a good budget friendly suggestion, and makes sense. :thumbsup:

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Oh and I meant to tell you that albeebaby has Evenflo Triumph 65 for $109 and the Myride is slightly over budget at $125-150

Holly

I'm guessing A is an older child who is already riding in the RA50. Holly is saying to just get an affordable combo seat for the older child and use the convertible for the baby (B). That's a good budget friendly suggestion, and makes sense. :thumbsup:

Yep, I should have clarified. Two older forward facers and one 6 month old.
She and I have been best friends for 21 years! :)

K, I was just looking at your blog and I saw how K fits in the Maestro. He still has tons of room before outgrowing it! If A fits in it the same, you could even just get another one of those for him, assuming they are both still far enough away from the weight limit. I don't remember what it is, 50 lbs?

I'd definitely get a new forward facing seat for one of the boys and use the convertible for the baby.

The only thing though, is if you get a forward facing only seat that turns into a booster, you'd want to get one that makes a good booster if you plan to use that feature eventually or you plan ahead of time to be buying separate boosters when the time comes. The Harmony Defender is brand new, I'm not sure if anyone knows how good of a booster it makes yet, but I know that the other Harmony boosters are all good boosters so I'd bet the Defender is good too. The Maestro I've heard is good but by the time it's outgrown in harness mode it will be outgrown in booster mode too. The Nautilus I've heard can be good or bad depending on the individual kiddo.
The Nautilus has the new Graco buckle that a lot of people hate or have a hard time unbuckling. If you want one of those, try out the buckle a few times to make sure you like it first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC