Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Dodge Journey owners

Any Dodge Journey owners?? Do you love/hate it??

Better/worse MPG than you expected? Any carseat woes with this vehicle?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Dodge Journey owners

We have a 09 SXT Journey and I like it alot not sure I love it but l like it a lot. We have the 7 seater version. There are no tether anchors in the back row, and there is some plastic casing around the middle seat in the 2nd row can be awkward but not with all seats. It worked with out maxi cosi mico, but it interferes with our peg convertible. The peg fits RFing with the front seat all the way back aswell.

The mpg or l/100km as I'm in Canada is generally at about 10.4l/km on ours, we do a lot of highway driving in it. Have seen it go as bad as 13l/km and as low as 9.6l/km. I think the cold at the moment is killing ours as it was better before the cold weather. The newer ones do have better fuel efficiency though.

I like its handling in the snow and its nice to park and reverse but I have the rear view camera so that helps me.
    T - Mar/2012- 45lbs 42" FFing in a Pioneer
    A Dec/2015 Keyfit 30

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

My nephew has one and it crossed through my car ideas just enough for me to ask him about it.
    He likes it fine for comfort and how it drives. Hates the gas milage. Had a lot of trouble getting his little man to fit rear facing. He had him FFing at 10 months until I saw the pic of FB, had a heart attack and then a heart to heart with him. I bought him an Evenflo seat, I can't remember the name of it now, and had it sent to him and he promised to keep him rear facing until at least age 2. He said it was really uncomfy for him to sit in front of the seat but he did it anyway. I bet I could have gotten an install that would have given him more room, but never got a chance. He finally came to visit a month before his son turned 2 and they had him ffing but my sis told me they had just done it for the trip because he had sometimes choked and they wanted to be able to see him for the long drive. Since they were set on him FFing during the trip and they were so close to him being 2, I didn't press the issue, even though I really wanted to play with it to see if I could get a better install.

So, it may or may not be tight for rear facing, I think it is not really but didn't get hands on to find out.

They do like the amount of space and I like the safety ratings on the MY I was looking at.

6. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BunniesMommy View Post
    My nephew has one and it crossed through my car ideas just enough for me to ask him about it.
    He likes it fine for comfort and how it drives. Hates the gas milage. Had a lot of trouble getting his little man to fit rear facing. He had him FFing at 10 months until I saw the pic of FB, had a heart attack and then a heart to heart with him. I bought him an Evenflo seat, I can't remember the name of it now, and had it sent to him and he promised to keep him rear facing until at least age 2. He said it was really uncomfy for him to sit in front of the seat but he did it anyway. I bet I could have gotten an install that would have given him more room, but never got a chance. He finally came to visit a month before his son turned 2 and they had him ffing but my sis told me they had just done it for the trip because he had sometimes choked and they wanted to be able to see him for the long drive. Since they were set on him FFing during the trip and they were so close to him being 2, I didn't press the issue, even though I really wanted to play with it to see if I could get a better install.

So, it may or may not be tight for rear facing, I think it is not really but didn't get hands on to find out.

They do like the amount of space and I like the safety ratings on the MY I was looking at.
    I read that the 2011/2012 have a slide-able front to back 2nd row Not sure if that is true for previous years though.

Our 09 has the sliding 2nd row. I've tried a radian, britaxes, complete air all in it and they all fitted Rfing with room to spare.
    A Dec/2015 Keyfit 30

9. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biddyk8 View Post
    Our 09 has the sliding 2nd row. I've tried a radian, britaxes, complete air all in it and they all fitted Rfing with room to spare.
    Does the radian fit rfing center? Can the 40 portion of the seat still be folded?

The 2012 or 2013 is my new years purchase.... I'm following this thread

Samantha - CRST
    ~* Mom To Joshua -16 years, Seat belt *~
    ~* Liam - 10 years, 55-60 Pounds, Graco booster (no back) *~
    ~* Cordelia Grace - 7 years, 41lbs, Diono Monterey *~

12. Thank You from:

It fits in centre as the foot of it works well with the plastic. The 40 still folds ok with it. The 40 folded past the base of the maxi cosi when it was in the centre aswell. You can fit 2 adults comfortably beside the seats as well
    A Dec/2015 Keyfit 30

14. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member
    I went and test drove one this afternoon... How do y'all deal with such a small cargo area? We would use all three rows up 90% of the time :/

Senior Community Member
    Bump.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    We had one as a rental for a week and hated it We didn't like how things were laid out, and it felt really cramped. The RF Radian fit beautifully, though, even without the angle adjuster. (Passenger outboard.)

Since it was a rental, it was probably the lowest trim level. A higher one might have "felt" better.

18. Thank You from:

I have no idea. We have a mini van and next to no room in it anyhow....lol. I love the whole 60/40 split in the back though. Wish we had that for our current vehicle.

Samantha - CRST
    ~* Mom To Joshua -16 years, Seat belt *~
    ~* Liam - 10 years, 55-60 Pounds, Graco booster (no back) *~
    ~* Cordelia Grace - 7 years, 41lbs, Diono Monterey *~

20. Thank You from:

We mainly keep the back row folded as we mainly use the seats when family visit so that gives us the big cargo area. I can manage with the small cargo area when I need to but it will only fit my umbrella stroller that way with room for some groceries. Or my uppababy vista stroller with no room for anything else.

If even one split of the 3rd row is folded down it increases the cargo area hugely although that would depend how comfortable you are having someone sitting beside the cargo
    A Dec/2015 Keyfit 30

22. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by love-pink View Post
    I went and test drove one this afternoon... How do y'all deal with such a small cargo area? We would use all three rows up 90% of the time :/
    Most all crossovers and SUVs with 3rd rows have very little space behind the 3rd row... Unless you get into huge SUVs.

Have you considered a minivan?
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

Quote Originally Posted by love-pink View Post
    Does Journey have a glass hatch? Because having one makes a huge difference in terms of useable cargo space. You don't load things with the main hatch open. You leave it closed and load through the glass. I can do ten grocery bags with a BJCMD back there (Pilot) if I load thru the glass hatch. (When I have my 3rd row in use)

if you just go look at a vehicle and open the liftgate and stare at available space behind most SUV 3rd rows it doesn't *look* like much.

If I have my 3rd row down I load thru the liftgate just like any minivan mama does. With the 3rd row down most SUV's offer more than enough room.. Mine is like a small living room with the 3rd row down. I have to climb in on all fours to reach the front of the cargo space. In a Journey I'm guessing you would have plenty of space with the 3rd row down.

Ok, I just texted my friend with a Journey and hers has a glass hatch, so I would go look at cargo space with the liftgate closed and only open the glass. Look down into the cargo space and imagine being able to use every square inch that sits below the top of the vehicle seat. It's lots, usually.

25. Thank You from: