Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

before we buy 2003 toyota sienna

So we are finally in the car buying process. From all that we have seeing this 2003 Sienna is the one that looks like will be the winner. Before we buy we want to make sure this car is safe. My first question is if it is safe to use the lower and top tethers on a car this old? According to the car fax records it has never been in an accident. My other concern is with the top tether for the captain's seat, is not the usual metal material, it looks like plastic and I have no idea if they are really safe or if they can be replace? I was thinking of trying to get Toyota to change it but not sure what their answer will be. I can always order one right? Any opinions or information will be really appreciated!
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Bump...
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

If the van has LATCH, it's safe to use. They've been crash tested, plastic or metal. Have a tech look up the actual tether spots for you, though, to make sure you're not hooking to a cargo hook.
    Xandra
    DD1, 12yrs, 75lbs, 4'0"-Harmony Cruz
    DD2, 3yrs, 40lbs, 3'4" -RF RXT
    FD1 & 2, 2yrs-RF RXT's

It is a top tether becuase I read the.manual to be sure. I don't know if that time of plastic tether has being recall or something?
    Lourdes

Re: before we buy 2003 toyota sienna

Quote Originally Posted by lourdes View Post
    It is a top tether becuase I read the.manual to be sure. I don't know if that time of plastic tether has being recall or something?
    When you buy the vehicle - call toyota's 1-800 number (you can find this on the toyota website) and register the vehicle to you as the new owner. They will let you know if there are any outstanding recall's on the van that have not been performed and will also notify you of future recalls.
    Maggie - Rollin' hard in my Swagger Wagon with my 3 lil' men all properly restrained

Thanks. I will do that.
    Lourdes

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: before we buy 2003 toyota sienna

It's also possible that the tether anchors are metal covered in plastic, since plastic alone wouldn't withstand the pull test... My dad has a similar era Sienna, I'm gonna have to look next time I'm in there.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!