before we buy 2003 toyota sienna

lourdes

So we are finally in the car buying process. From all that we have seeing this 2003 Sienna is the one that looks like will be the winner. Before we buy we want to make sure this car is safe. My first question is if it is safe to use the lower and top tethers on a car this old? According to the car fax records it has never been in an accident. My other concern is with the top tether for the captain's seat, is not the usual metal material, it looks like plastic and I have no idea if they are really safe or if they can be replace? I was thinking of trying to get Toyota to change it but not sure what their answer will be. I can always order one right? Any opinions or information will be really appreciated!

ADS

Xandra

If the van has LATCH, it's safe to use. They've been crash tested, plastic or metal. Have a tech look up the actual tether spots for you, though, to make sure you're not hooking to a cargo hook.

lourdes

It is a top tether becuase I read the.manual to be sure. I don't know if that time of plastic tether has being recall or something?

Mags462

It is a top tether becuase I read the.manual to be sure. I don't know if that time of plastic tether has being recall or something?

When you buy the vehicle - call toyota's 1-800 number (you can find this on the toyota website) and register the vehicle to you as the new owner. They will let you know if there are any outstanding recall's on the van that have not been performed and will also notify you of future recalls. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's also possible that the tether anchors are metal covered in plastic, since plastic alone wouldn't withstand the pull test... My dad has a similar era Sienna, I'm gonna have to look next time I'm in there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC