Info regarding AOE poor booster fit

Carolinadaisy

I need some help. I have a good friend with a young 4 yr old boy. He rides in an AOE in both of their cars. At his 4 yr well check, he weighed over 43 lbs. she had some question about his seat and pulled out the manual. I showed her that he had outgrown the seats in harnessed mode and informed her that the seat was not recommended for booster use. I also gave her contact info for the tech who helped us with our last car seat installation.

Any rate, her son is still riding around in the seat harnessed for now and she stated they will probably just take the straps out and try it as a booster. This child is my DS1s best friend and his mother and I are good friends as well. I know her husband purchased the seats on sale at Costco when their second son needed to move out of the infant seat because box listed the higher weight for booster. The mom had no idea it only went to 40 lbs harnessed.

So, I need some help on how to talk further with her about purchasing either another harnessed seat or a safer booster for him. I would never think about bolstering my 4 yr old, but her son is such a cautious kid, he would probably sit properly. I know he rides in a booster already in Grandma's car.

Child is a little over 43 in and I believe 43 lbs. What would you recommend? I suggested a Nautilus or Secure Kid. I am not as knowledgeable on boosters as my son rides in a Frontier. I am sure they won't want to spend too much as the AOEs are fairly new, less than a year for sure!

Thanks!

ADS

Kaitsmom

If she has the 40lb version she also cannot use the top harness position, it isnt reinforced for harness use. He needs out of that harness asap. The Nautilus, SecureKids, Frontier, or the new Harmony Defender at Walmart are all good options for him as far as harnessed seats go. She could sell the AOEs on Craigslist and recoup some of expense.

I am not to booster land yet with my daughter so I am going to skip that question for now. Any idea how big his torso is or what vehicals they drive?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Honestly a backless booster for a 4 year old 40 lb child, with proper fit, while not ”ideal,” is safer than a booster with poor fit. The Harmony Youth/LiteRider and Graco Turbo backless boosters do well for most smaller riders, and are among the cheapest. If she'll go for high back, Graco Turbo again, Recaro Vivo, or if he's a little bigger framed the Evenflo Amp high back, Cosco Pronto, and Safety 1st Boost Air Protect can be added to the list.

Carolinadaisy

I know he is not on top harness slots yet. And main vehicle is a Honda Odyssey. I am pretty sure that she would not consider any backless boosters at all. And honestly, she will probably end up with a harnessed seat after the first time he falls asleep in a booster and falls over. I forgot about the Harmony Defender. I will mention that one as well.

I am hoping to help get the straps out of one seat this week and for her to have the tech check seat for booster fit. I really think if a certified tech tells her he needs a new seat that it won't be a problem. I just want to be helpful without being too pushy.

Are there photos I can show her of poor belt fit with the AOE on different children? I think if she is convinced of need for new seat she will just go out and buy one to switch between vehicles. After all her husband made the AOE purchase without consulting her, so turn about is fair play.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Here's a graphic showing good vs. bad booster fit:

185176_445190368857111_1919504095_n.jpg

Carolinadaisy

I completely agree! I wish they would stop too. I got really lucky that I was able to convince my SIL not to buy one for my tiny nephew. She never listens to me, but the bad booster ratings got her attention. Now to convince her to rf past 2. My nephew is tiny, 17 lbs at 1 yr and very short. But he screams in the car rf in his evenflo triumph advance so she has been waiting for him to hit 20 lbs. Ugh!

Carolinadaisy

Ok. One more question. When did Britax discontinue the Roundabout 40? My friend has her 1 yr old in a roundabout, so if it is a 50, maybe the 4 yr old could fit in it still! I think his torso is pretty short. Solves the whole problem as it should get ho. To 5 and a more suitable booster age!

She then would need to rf the AOE for the 1 yr old. How hard is it to install an AOE rf in a Honda odyssey? Not sure on the year.

Thank you for your help!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The original Roundabout and Roundabout 50 were retired 8/2010; the Roundabout 50 Classic is still made for Target.

The AOE is a pain rear-facing; bit easier if she has the version you can take the base off but that's unlikely if it was a recent purchase. Have pool noodles or rolled towels ready. Seatbelt usually works better for me than LATCH.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC