Question Does anyone know the difference between American and European Graco Nautilus?

VKOrsi

From picture the 2 seats look exacly the same, but the harnessed weight limit is totally different. In Europe we really don't have extended harnessed carseats, so I was sooo happy when frist met GN on European market, because I knew the American version. But the user's manual says it can only be used as a harnessed seat until 40lbs (18kg). :rolleyes:

I wrote a letter to Graco's American and European sites, but the did not know the naswer :yeahthatsad:

American version:
website - http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=8J00MTX
With Built-In Harness:
Weight: 20 to 65 lbs
Height: 27 to 52 inches
users's manual - http://download.gracobaby.com/ProductInstructionManuals/PD158114A_PD158115A.pdf

European version:
http://graco.de/cdetail.php?catCode=34
With Built-In Harness:
Weight: to 40lbs (18kg)

users's manual - http://graco.de/pdf/G8J96 NAUTILUS GB FR DE.pdf

I even thought that the structure of the 2 seats is different. Because there is a difference in weight.
US: 11,7 kg (27 lbs) 50-56-73
EU: 9kg 48-50-68 cm

Thank you for your help! :love:

ADS

tiggercat

I wonder if it might be a standards/regulations issue? Do you have any HWH seats, or just very few? What does Graco say?
In Canada we used to be legally limited by the definition of a child as under 48lb and therefore couldn't have harnessed child seats over that weight. It's now been changed in the regs to 65lb.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

VKOrsi

I have no idea nut it seems the colors are just as boring in Europe.
yepp :thumbsdown:

I wonder if it might be a standards/regulations issue? Do you have any HWH seats, or just very few? What does Graco say?
In Canada we used to be legally limited by the definition of a child as under 48lb and therefore couldn't have harnessed child seats over that weight. It's now been changed in the regs to 65lb.
Actually there are 2 seats I know which have a weight limit of 25kg (55lbs), and these can be bought in Europe, so I think it's not because of the regulation.

European Graco did not answer me, American Graco did answer very quickly, but the did not know the European modell, so did not have any clue.

tiggercat

yepp :thumbsdown:

Actually there are 2 seats I know which have a weight limit of 25kg (55lbs), and these can be bought in Europe, so I think it's not because of the regulation.

European Graco did not answer me, American Graco did answer very quickly, but the did not know the European modell, so did not have any clue.

Are those RF or FF seats? I know some that RF to 55lbs, but don't those top out at 40lb for FF?

_juune

Are those RF or FF seats? I know some that RF to 55lbs, but don't those top out at 40lb for FF?

There is at least one that currently uses FF harness to 25kg [Britax TWE] and at least 2 new are coming sometime soon [Britax ... hmm ... was it "Xtensafix" or something like that -- was presented in Kind&Jugend 2012; and Diono Stratofix]. So it's certainly not because of the regulations.

VKOrsi

FF
RF till 55lbs there are "a lot" (about 5-6 seats)

There is at least one that currently uses FF harness to 25kg [Britax TWE] and at least 2 new are coming sometime soon [Britax ... hmm ... was it "Xtensafix" or something like that -- was presented in Kind&Jugend 2012; and Diono Stratofix]. So it's certainly not because of the regulations.
I had Britax TWE myself, I really loved those seats. (7 years ago, with my twin boys, that was out RF seat bought from Finland)

and really thank yout for the info about those 2 seats, i did not know that, glad to hear there will be more seats for extended harnessing! :love:

VKOrsi

I found this in the description of StratoFIX
"StratoFIX™ was designed to meet global safety standards with the highest weight limits of 25 kg (Europe) and 80 lb (North America). "

strange, that it has different weight limits in Europer and N-Am. (25kg is not 80 lbs)

tiggercat

I've got nothing then.
Unless it is harder to pass ECE at higher weights than FMVSS? Maybe the limits are more restrictive in some way? There are some seats on the CDN and American markets that have different weight limits. The assumption is that they don't pass the standards at higher limits in Canada.
Examples: the new Clek Foonf rearfaces to 50lb in the USA but only 40lb in Canada because it doesn't meet our anti rebound requirements at the higher weight/heights.
There are some Evenflo seats that top out FF at 47lb in Canada despite being labelled to 50 or 65lb in the USA.

VKOrsi

I've got nothing then.
Unless it is harder to pass ECE at higher weights than FMVSS?
maybe, i cant think of anything else.
I have a friend at Austrian National Transp. Office, i asked him wether he knows anything about this.

anyway, thanks for all your help :2thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC