My daughter wants a pink seat - please help me decide!

whitneyg

I know this is a very silly question, but I need help deciding on which pink car seat to get for my little sweetie. She is recently 3 years old, 38" tall, 14" from bum to shoulder, 22" from bum to top of head, and about 31 lbs. She is RF in a plum RXT in our car and the new seat will be FF in my Mom's Mini Cooper. I would prefer that she be RF in the Mini, too, but my Mom said it was just way too hard to get her in there because it has two doors. It will be used so infrequently and for short rides, so I decided not to push the issue.

I was asking questions about this set up a few weeks ago and I thought I had it figured out, but now a friend wants to buy my R120 (the seat that was in Nana's car) and I am itching to try something new. The most important factors (other than the pink!) are an easy LATCH and seat belt install, and a smooth harness adjuster since Nana has a hard time getting the harness tight enough if she has to work at it at all. Here are the options I have considered:

1. Frontier: nice bright pink, but I am concerned about the challenging install I have heard about with this seat since my parents are completely car seat illiterate and will be installing it without me hovering over them. Is this a tricky install?

2. Nautilus: another nice pink, but isn't the harness a bugger on this one? I tried an Argos and it fit in their car, but the buckle and harness adjuster were sooooo stiff and hard to tighten. Is this a systemic issue with these, or was it just the one I had? I really want to love the Nauti...the price is right, I love the deep wings and sides on the seat, and the little compartment is fun. But, if my mom can't tighten the harness enough, that is a deal-breaker. Thoughts on the harness issues?

3. Prosport: don't like the color as well on this one, but it seems to have an idiot proof LATCH install.

4. any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
ADS

canadiangie

My first thought was a TrueFit, actually. It's rounded at the bottom and will sit nicely on the scooped out seat, and it has push-on latch connectors which tend to work better than hook style when latch anchors are placed high like in the mini. It should last her a very long time, and it's low profile for easier loading. Harness adjuster is smooth, just walk your mom through what a continuous harness is and how it works -- she might love it, she might hate it.

Just a thought... :)

MommyShannon

IF the Frontier will install well with LATCH, I'd definitely get it. My kids are over our car's LATCH weight limit and I use the long belt path to install. I don't trust anyone else to do that correctly. The nautilus is easy except people love or hate (mostly hate) the new buckle. I haven't installed our TF ff yet. I know rf you have to use the lockoffs even with LATCH. It's not hard, but it is an added step she has to remember to install it right. I wonder if than new Harmony Defender has pretty covers? The Classic Marathon is fairly tall and an easy install.

By far though I love the FR and Livia would be perfect if you can do the install or if it works in that car with short belt path or LATCH.

Phineasmama

I would try the ProSport first probably. I don't think you want a Nautilus because the buckle is very hard to do. I have a feeling the ProSport might fit better than the Frontier.

The Prosport and Frontier are both really nice, and easy to buckle and adjust.

firemomof3

I think the Frontier is very easy to do with the seatbelt & you won't run into the problem of the seatbelt covering the harness slot on the Prosport. I loved our Prosport though, its a fantastic seat. I agree that the new buckles on the graco seats are horrible :mad: I have a Nautilus with the original buckle and its my favorite seat but I wouldn't buy a new one just because of the buckle...not sure what graco was thinking :confused:

whitneyg

Thanks to all of you for the ideas and input. We are leaning towards the Prosport, but I hadn't thought about the Marathon or the TF as FF seats. Do they come in pink? How are the FF seatbelt installs for those two?

clmchrissy

Thanks to all of you for the ideas and input. We are leaning towards the Prosport, but I hadn't thought about the Marathon or the TF as FF seats. Do they come in pink? How are the FF seatbelt installs for those two?

The Roundabout 55 comes in a very pink seat, Isabella. All the Britax seats should be very easy to install with latch or seatbelt (I've never had any issues in any vehicle I've tried).

jacqui276

Here are a couple of pink True Fits:
Pop of Pink (TF SI): http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419vDYkVyFL._AA300_.jpg
Pink Butterfly (TF recline): http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RuB7hLiGL._AA300_.jpg
Monet: http://wholuvsyoubaby.com/shop/images/Y11005_l.gif

The Marathon comes in Azalea: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RAbcxp+IL._AA300_.jpg

ETA: The True Fit does have a FFing lock off. I found it easy to install but the lock off definitely adds an extra step and I've installed a number of car seats and read the manual prior to doing it. Not sure if it would be fool proof for grandparents.

MommyShannon

I wouldn't get a RA55 to ff. Its harness is shorter than the Marathon's. I just got the Azalea marathon cover and its really pretty. It has a lot of purple tons to it too so its not true pink if that's the goal.

whitneyg

Now I am thinking about a MyRide...lots of pink and deep side wings...could be great IF it would fit in the Mini. I have a thread about it over in the general questions section.

Phineasmama

I think if you get a convertible it's going to be even harder to FF, since most of them sit up on a base and forward a little bit, so your daughter is going to have relatively no leg room in between her seat and the front seats. The True Fit is different, it would sit down lower on the seat. And like the FFing only seats, it would be much easier for her to climb into.

firemomof3

I agree with pp. I personally don't like the TF for bigger kids because the crotch strap is sooo short. The MyRide is a great seat but it does sit up on a base. Have you looked into the new Evenflo SureRide?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC