Are the buckles on the Graco Snugride 35 having the same issues as other Graco seats?

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I'm trying to come up with some infant seat recommendations for my SIL & BIL, and I was going to include the Graco Snugride 35 on the list. I was curious if the issue with the crotch buckles getting stuck on the Nautilus and the Graco convertibles is a problem with the Snugride 35, because I really don't want to recommend something problematic to them. :)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes. Strangely, about half of people seem to have issues with that buckle and j half don't. I don't know if it's the buckles, the users, or both.

Evenflo uses the same buckles, I think,.and maybe someone else?

SignCuer

That's strange.. I have a mysize70 and Graco Nautilus with new buckles and no problems with them whatsoever.

Phineasmama

I didn't have an issue with it not working, I had an issue with it being really unpleasant to deal with compared to pretty much every other seat I've tried.

Lenae

Also worth noting that some people don't have an issue until suddenly they do, and all of a sudden can't get the kid out.

This was me. I have a MR that we used for several months without a single issue. The button the buckle has to be pushed in at the top, but it wasn't anymore physically difficult than any other seat. Then one day, the buckle wouldn't depress. I also couldn't slide my daughter out of the harness loosened all the way because she couldn't contort her legs enough and the harness was on the middle loops for the slot she was on, so I had to entirely unthread the seat She is now up a slot and on the longer harness loops, and it has stuck two times since then. I hate to think of not being able to unbuckle her in an emergency, but I have to use the MR. Every time I call Graco, they tell me they are out of replacement buckles and I have to continue to wait. As soon as I can afford to replace the seat, I will.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
This was me. I have a MR that we used for several months without a single issue. The button the buckle has to be pushed in at the top, but it wasn't anymore physically difficult than any other seat. Then one day, the buckle wouldn't depress. I also couldn't slide my daughter out of the harness loosened all the way because she couldn't contort her legs enough and the harness was on the middle loops for the slot she was on, so I had to entirely unthread the seat She is now up a slot and on the longer harness loops, and it has stuck two times since then. I hate to think of not being able to unbuckle her in an emergency, but I have to use the MR. Every time I call Graco, they tell me they are out of replacement buckles and I have to continue to wait. As soon as I can afford to replace the seat, I will.

Have you reported to NHTSA? If not please, please do.

Laurelz

I bought a Nautilus and had no issues for a few months then one day it just wouldn't open (unbuckle) at all!! Didn't think much if it thought it was operator error and went on. Then it started happening weekly off and on. Then the last time it wouldn't come out at all! It now sits in my closet unable to unbuckle and I contacted the NHTSA and they want it for research.

Phineasmama

Do you have a life hammer with the seat belt cutter on it? If not you need to get one in case of emergency. They're like $15 on amazon

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC