Field trip on busses...

kallifornia

My 2 older girls (4 and 3) are in preschool and the school is taking a field trip about an hr away on the freeway. Our first instinct was to say no they can't go because 65 miles away travelling on a freeway with no seat belts worried us. My mom thinks we're nuts and we're keeping the kids from doing something fun with their school. I know people say school buses are pretty safe but we still can't help but worry. Would you let your young children ride on a bus that far on a freeway??

ADS

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
There is no way I would let my kids go! I won't even let my kids ride a bus and they are 5 and 7. There is no way a 3 year old could actually sit on a bus for an hour without moving around. I am not even sure its legal in most states.

mommy2env

Thats a though one. It is pretty far, and I would probably worry too. I have let my dd ride in a school bus but they didnt go very far, and she is 7. Plus I have always been a parent volunteer. Not that it makes a difference, but it made me feel better to be sitting behind her. Anyways, can you drive them to the destination? That way they can still be part of the group, but not ride in the bus. My daughter looked forward to riding a bus though ;)

SPJ&E

Absolutely not...I wouldn't even consider it. My boys won't be riding the school bus at all though. I don't spend almost $300 per carseat and keep them rear-facing for as long as possible so they have the best protection, to turn around and put them on a bus with not even a seatbelt. No thanks!

They'll go on field trips I can drive them to and that's it. I know they'll miss out on some things, but their safety comes first.

kallifornia

Thanks for posting your thoughts! I feel better knowing it's not just me. I could drive them but I also have a baby and I don't really feel like driving an hr by myself with 3 kids and then schleping them around on a field trip. I'm sure they'll have other opportunities. We were never planning on letting them take school buses ever so my gut reaction about this field trip was HECK NO....then my mom has her way of making me feel like the worst parent ever :rolleyes:

Thanks
Kalli

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'd call the bus company and ask how the children would be restrained. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my 5-year-old daughter would be riding in a harness for her field trip (about an hour away and 45 miles on the freeway as well); the younger children were put in carseats. :thumbsup:

kallifornia

I'd call the bus company and ask how the children would be restrained. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my 5-year-old daughter would be riding in a harness for her field trip (about an hour away and 45 miles on the freeway as well); the younger children were put in carseats. :thumbsup:

They'd be riding in a regular yellow school bus and I told the preschool today they wouldn't be going because of the seat belt issue and they just said, "oh" So I'm assuming there are no seat belts on the school buses? There weren't when I used to ride them.

BrendansMommy

There is no way I would allow it. People are really underinformed about bus safety. Just last year a study released saying that in just one year, over 17,000 kids had to be taken to the ER due to school bus injuries and 42% of that 17,000 resulted from crashes involving the bus. And that only counts the kids who went to the ER, not the kids that weren't seriously injured and waited to go to the ped, etc.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15581273/

elle7715

I'm going to be in this exact situation with my 2 year old next month. An hour trip on the freeway to the zoo. I'm saying no. I might volunteer to help with the group and DH will tag along with DS. But if it doesn't work out to drive ourselves (they said I could ride the bus too...not the answer I was looking for) than she's not going. They have a few 5 pt harnesses but not enough to go around.

MomToEliEm

I'm going to be in this exact situation with my 2 year old next month. An hour trip on the freeway to the zoo. I'm saying no. I might volunteer to help with the group and DH will tag along with DS. But if it doesn't work out to drive ourselves (they said I could ride the bus too...not the answer I was looking for) than she's not going. They have a few 5 pt harnesses but not enough to go around.

I cannot imagine how anyone would take a group of 2 year olds to the zoo. My daycare only allows field trips starting at age 5. With a 2 year old, they should still be taking naps and needing frequent potty breaks or diaper changes. I cannot see how a field trp would work with that age group.

elle7715

I cannot imagine how anyone would take a group of 2 year olds to the zoo. My daycare only allows field trips starting at age 5. With a 2 year old, they should still be taking naps and needing frequent potty breaks or diaper changes. I cannot see how a field trp would work with that age group.

But wait, there's more. It's the special education preschool (mostly for speech delays) and they're taking the morning class of 2-3 year olds and the afternoon class of 3-5 (or 3-6?) year olds. Personally I think they're loony but I guess they've done it before.

Connor's Mom

But wait, there's more. It's the special education preschool (mostly for speech delays) and they're taking the morning class of 2-3 year olds and the afternoon class of 3-5 (or 3-6?) year olds. Personally I think they're loony but I guess they've done it before.

And how many adults to supervise this fiasco? :whistle:

elle7715

And how many adults to supervise this fiasco? :whistle:

I have NO idea, but that's another reason DD won't be going alone. Of course there's no way she would go without me, but that's a whole other story because of her separation and stranger anxiety. I'm thinking they might jump at the chance to get volunteers but I don't know if I need the stress! I'm thinking we'll just go to the zoo as a family.

Simplysomething

Would you let your young children ride on a bus that far on a freeway??

I would let my older son ride a school bus on the interstate. I do not think that I would let a child under the age of 5 ride on a school bus, for any reason, for any length of time or speed.

Addressing another post, the number of children injured or killed in incidents involving school buses is still significantly lower than children who are injured or killed when driven in regular passenger vehicles. Buses ARE extremely safe...for school aged children (and adults).

Last edited:

Connor's Mom

I have NO idea, but that's another reason DD won't be going alone. Of course there's no way she would go without me, but that's a whole other story because of her separation and stranger anxiety. I'm thinking they might jump at the chance to get volunteers but I don't know if I need the stress! I'm thinking we'll just go to the zoo as a family.

Never mind the bus ride, the zoo itself sounds like a recipe for disaster, lol. I agree, a family trip to the zoo is a better idea and your DDs will more than likely enjoy it more as they will get more adult attention and explanation of animals and such. :thumbsup:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
They'd be riding in a regular yellow school bus and I told the preschool today they wouldn't be going because of the seat belt issue and they just said, "oh" So I'm assuming there are no seat belts on the school buses? There weren't when I used to ride them.

That's why I'd call the bus company - we live in hicksville, and our state has horrible child passenger safety laws, which is why I was so surprised to find out that the regular yellow school buses for the field trip would have belts & harnesses. The teachers knew NOTHING about it beforehand because it was the first years they'd had them. We wound up leaving an HOUR late for the trip because they had to call in another bus to get all the kids situated; some were big enough to ride in just the lap belts, but only half the seats in the bus had those, etc. They had quite the time sorting it out. (And BTW, I'd have driven us if they hadn't had a lap-belt available for my daughter's carseat - I understand your concerns and I'm not trying to talk you out of it! Just sharing my experience. :) )

I'm wondering, though, now that I'm certified if this wasn't done in preparation for a bill that didn't pass. I haven't heard anything else about the kids using harnesses/belts on the buses, but then none of my kids is going to school at this point, either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC