Angle Adjuster really safe?

F

FirstBigBoySeat

My son just outgrew our 'Nana infant seat', so I passed on the infant seat I've been using to her (that he still fits), and purchased a Radian R120 for my car.

I love the seat, it fits fine center seat of my Saturn Vue, otherwise would require moving seats forward if it were placed outboard, but does not require the Angle Adjuster in any position. I'm kind of short so moving the seats forward in my Vue isn't a problem.

However, Nana drives a Kia Optima. Both her and my teenage sister who rides in the passenger seat are very tall, so the R120 is not going to work well in her Kia. I figure we'll get maybe 2 months, if that, before my son also outgrows the infant seat I just passed on to her. At that point, I'll need to use the Angle Adjuster with the R120 in her car (please correct me if I'm wrong about using it before 1yr old, but it looks like that is acceptable for infants with good head control who are sitting/crawling)...

I was all set to purchase the Angle Adjuster for Nana, then I saw the Mighty Tite, and read all the reasons why it's not at all safe, and now I'm scared to use an Angle Adjuster.

My main concern is: is the Angle Adjuster really safe to use? I mean, this is the same company that sells the Mighty Tite, so I'm hesitant to purchase any other accessory that isn't part of the original seat. If Diono says the Mighty Tite is safe, and clearly it isn't, how can I be sure the Angle Adjuster will be safe?

I see that the AA is frequently recommended, and I know that it doesn't interfere with the restraint system, as the Mighty Tite does, but now I'm wondering if Diono can be trusted. I feel comfortable using their car seats because they pass regulated safety standards, but there are no standards for either accessory in question. Diono says the Angle Adjuster was crash tested, but they also say the Mighty Tite was crash tested.

If they'll overlook obvious safety issues on the Mighty Tite, how can I be sure they aren't also overlooking safety issues with the Angle Adjuster?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The angle adjuster is safe. It changes the angle, nothing more. It doesn't add on to the seatbelt or harness or do anything. It doesn't even go under the entire carseat, just the back portion. I'd use an angle adjuster for my child. I would never use a mighty tite.

Wendy

littleangelfire

Just another voice in concurrence: perfectly safe. As Wendy said, it does nothing to affect the restraint system of either car or child seat. It changes the angle, which is not a dangerous thing. It's really no different than using rolled up towels or pool noodles to increase the angle of a child seat, just that the angle adjuster decreases the angle.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Also, just to clarify, you might not actually *need* one in the optima. The seat installs fairly upright naturally. We had no issues using it with a 5 ft 8 inch driver in ours.

tam_shops

I liked what PP said comparing it to towels that increase the recline, this decreasing the incline. It makes older kids happier b/c they like to be more upright.

I used it with my youngest. Don't remember if I used it w/ my oldest or not. The one thing I would say is depending on the car, it can make the seat really upright, so while Diono has suggested some flexibility w/ the age, I wouldn't use it (myself) for a child less than a year old.

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC