Help me pick a car (for someone else.)

skipspin

We are helping a mom find a new car. She has a dying 2 door "old" Honda. Money is tight, but she has some offers of help and could probably go up to around $8,000 if we find something newer that meets her needs. She is a single mom with three kids, 17, 14 and 12. All the kids except the 12 year old are definately adult-sized. Haing room for a friend or two would be a bonus, but not a necessity. Decent gas mileage is a definite requirement. Also, the 17 yr old does have a license, and the 14 yr old will be gettin her permit in a year.

They were looking at a 93 4 door Honda, but we'd really like to help them find something newer, and it was going for 2500, but it looks like we can go over that budget. We have thought about a 2ish yr old Mazda 5, or possibly a newer "lower cost" vehicle like a Kia or Hundai (sp) that's still in warantee.

So, and great suggestions?

ADS

southpawboston

you can't touch a mazda5 for $8000, even two years old. but you can definitely get into:

-- few years old kia sedona (pre-05)
-- older ford taurus (2000-2004)
-- older chrysler T&C (2000-2002)
-- older honda accord (1998-2001)
-- older toyota camry (1997-2001)
-- older volvo S60/V70 (1998-2000) <-- this would be my pick :)

Melanie

Just a note on the Kias. The great 10 yr/100k mile warranty only applies to the original owner. A second owner just gets the bumper to bumper part. I believe it is 5 yrs/60k miles

skipspin

After checking out our Craigslist (Autotrader seemed very high $$)

I found lots of Corollas, Accords, Camrys, and even an Odyssey for under 10,000. We'll probably stay away from Fords because my DH hates them. And honestly, anything but a Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Volvo would need to be on 04 or later for use to consider it. I'll have to check out the Volvo...wasn't even looking at those.
Thanks!

southpawboston

After checking out our Craigslist (Autotrader seemed very high $$)

I found lots of Corollas, Accords, Camrys, and even an Odyssey for under 10,000. We'll probably stay away from Fords because my DH hates them. And honestly, anything but a Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Volvo would need to be on 04 or later for use to consider it. I'll have to check out the Volvo...wasn't even looking at those.
Thanks!

the three things i like most about the older volvos is that 1) they are wicked safe, as they get top scores by IIHS/NHTSA for frontal, offset frontal, side impact AND rear impact, despite their age and lack of side curtain airbags (1998 and newer have side torso airbags and in 2001 got side curtains, but you can't get a 2001 for $8000). 2) they are a very roomy car without being an SUV or minivan (S60 is the sedan, V70 is the station wagon of the same platform) with adequate seating for 5, with all 5 seating positions having lap/shoulder belts, and 3) they get decent gas mileage (30 or close to 30mpg) considering their size. just stay away from the higher-end turbo models as those can be very pricey if something goes wrong. the base versions are quite reliable and it's normal for them to go past 200,000 miles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC