Is this good practice for a CPST?

BrendansMommy

I just got off the phone with the lady at the local shop where I wanted to get a Regent and she totally cross examined me about getting the Regent--you'd think I was wanting to buy heroin or something. WTH??

So, I was in an accident last week and need to replace my BLVD. I decided on the Regent since my son is about an inch and a half from outgrowing the BLVD by height at the shoulder. First she wanted to know why I wanted that one, so I told her. Then she wanted to know if I knew how big it is. Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. She swears it won't fitin the vast majority of cars. No I know there are compatibility isse, but the vast majority of cars--really? I told her the online database says that it can go in my car--I've already checked it out. I wanted to buy it there b/c the owners are CPSTs, but apparently they are snotty about it. I thought it'd be convenient b/c I've heard it can be tough to install and I could have them help me install it the rental and then go back when my car gets fixed for help in that car if I need it.

I told her I wanted Onyx and she said they only have a floor model in that pattern. I told her I won't take a floor model and she got all offended. Who buys carseat floor models? Those things go through more than my wreck put our BLVD through. No f'in way am I buying floor model. She said it would order it but it would take 10-12 weeks--I think she thought I'd reconsider the floor model--not that I don't believe it would take that long, but it was like she was trying to coerce me into taking the floor model. I told her I'd just order it online then and she got really huffy.

Yeah, definitely going online. There is no way I'd ever buy from that store now. It would have been comvenient to have on-staff CPSTs to help, but, there are other CPSTs in town. And I would have to question a CPST that is so determined to keep kids out of Regents. You'd think they'd want as many kids in high weight/height seats as possible. Instead they treat me like a criminal for wanting a Regent and are resentful that I've done my homework.

Just thought I'd share at the urging of a friend who has been around here for a while.

Laurie

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
As much as it might help to buy locally, and I'm a big believer in doing so when possible, this person's attempt to sell you the floor model and grill you about why you'd want a Regent are indeed big turn offs. :thumbsdown:

P.S. Sorry that you were in a crash, and glad to know you and yours are alright.

skipspin

As much as it might help to buy locally, and I'm a big believer in doing so when possible, this person's attempt to sell you the floor model and grill you about why you'd want a Regent are indeed big turn offs. :thumbsdown:

P.S. Sorry that you were in a crash, and glad to know you and yours are alright.

I agree. They should be thrilled to sell you a Regent as long as it fits in your car and fits your child!

Our baby store tried to sell me a Regent for DD when I was looking at convertibles for DS. (She was sitting in a girly MA in the showroom and is less than 1" from outgrowing it.) I told them I think it's a great seat, but I love my Radian and since we will most likely have three-across it wasn't the best choice for me. She agreed and wanted to see my Radian. LOL.

lovinwaves

Did they recommend a seat other than the Regent for you then?

I doubt they would have installed it for you *unless* they have insurance that would cover their business if you were to ever come back and sue them.

It sounds like maybe she was wanting to prevent a "return". It is possible she has sold the Regent before only to have it returned.

In any case, I hope you were able to order one online. I love giving business to my local stores, but unfortunately it doesn't always happen because of situations such as yours.

BrendansMommy

Yes, I will definitely be buying it online and not from that store. I'd assumed they'd help me figure out the install because the advertise that they do and they do monthly carseat checks--which means, it's not the liability issue it's the convenience issue and fear of a return. It just really bugs me, you know?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yeah... I don't get it. I had a salesman at BRU tell me "that seat won't even fit in my Honda Pilot!"

Really? Because it fits in my VW Golf. Where were you trying to put yours, the glove box? Nah, I didn't really say that, but I kinda wish I had. :D

I wonder why she didn't just take the Onyx cover off the floor model for you.

CandCfam

Hey Laurie - just saying hi from a fellow Arkansan. :D

What part of AR are you in?

And :thumbsdown: to your experience at the shop.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Really? Because it fits in my VW Golf. Where were you trying to put yours, the glove box?

rofl4.gif

To the OP: Glad you're more educated than the tech/owner!

BrendansMommy

CandC--I live in Shannon Hills, a suburb of Little Rock. We moved here a year ago from Texas, so we're still adjusting to Arkansas. Overall, I like, though.

And--a VW Golf, really? That's awesome.

skaterbabs

You'd be surprised where the Regent/Husky fits. I've seen pics of two of them in a VW Beetle. I installed one in a Chevy Cobalt a while back for a friend. It fits fine in my 2-door Cherokee Sport. I've actually never seen a car so small it wouldn't fit. Where it starts getting tricky is if you need to put more than 2 passengers in the vehicle's back seat. The Regent sometimes doesn't play well with others. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC