Question Infant seats using seatbelt install

shinaynay17

I have a radian rfing in my vehicle and 2 graco infant seats all in the middle row. My 2 gracos have the base installed but today I had to move the one into the back seat because I was taking a friend and her 2 kids with me. I got the scenera in the backseat just fine rfing and with a great install. I then went to put her infant seat in. She has a cosco juvenile? I think that's what it was. It's one of the ones I've always hated cause you adjust the straps from the back :( I was reading the side of the car seat and it said to have the lap portion of the belt through the straps and the shoulder portion around the back of the car seat. Not sure if I was doing something wrong but I could not get that shoulder belt around the back of the seat. It said with a lap belt just to tighten the lap belt on but unfortunately I don't have any. I put the lap portion on and tightened it so there was less then 1 inch of space to move that car seat and I locked the seat belt. I'm just wondering what the reason behind putting the shoulder part behind the car seat is and if I was absolutely wrong for doing it the way I did??

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. I love ”Euro routing” (that's what we call it) on infant seats because it makes installing tightly so easy without the base! It gives you another option. So if the belt is too short you install without doing it, but if you can it can help a lot with secure installation! I got a ride with a friend whose car is awful for car seats. Tried it center back, belts too short but impossible to install securely. Tried it outboard and the belt was longer and it worked great! She had never seen such a quick install in that car, even the Nautilus can be a pain in there.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is there direction in the manual or on stickers giving a belt routing different from the Euro one? I haven't looked at one in a while but I recall there being only the Euro routing for a lap/shoulder belt, and no alternative if the belt was too short. My response then is the seat is incompatible baseless in that seating position. I wouldn't route a non-Euro way unless Dorel gives permission for that, myself.

shinaynay17

Yeah I was hoping I could install it the same way I did with my infant seats. It's nice to know that I didn't do it wrong. I guess I'll need to find a vehicle with long seatbelts to install her car seat with. I had just never heard of installing a car seat like that. Very exciting!!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is there direction in the manual or on stickers giving a belt routing different from the Euro one? I haven't looked at one in a while but I recall there being only the Euro routing for a lap/shoulder belt, and no alternative if the belt was too short. My response then is the seat is incompatible baseless in that seating position. I wouldn't route a non-Euro way unless Dorel gives permission for that, myself.

I don't remember when it was changed now, but it was changed quite a few years ago. The stickers on the seat will show lap/shoulder diagrams both with and without euro routing now and the manual is specific about euro being preferred but the other acceptable if the belt isn't able to reach.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC