Question Subaru Forester & Combination Seats

U

Unregistered

Hi all,

I'm unexpectedly in the market for a new car and new seats after an accident last week (no one hurt, but car couldn't be driven away from the scene). Insurance will cover new seats comparable to our old ones (2 Britax Marathons). I'd like to get a combination seat (instead of a convertible), since my twins are 2.5 years, and ~30 lbs, tall and skinny - so we could use them now and also for the next step. (They've been FFing for about a month, based on height)

I've loved my Subaru Legacy, and am considering a Subaru Forester. But I hear that the back seat is pretty cramped.

Has anyone had good luck with a particular combination seat in a Subaru Forester? We'll be buying used, so I don't know what model year (but I've heard the newer ones are wider). They'll be installed outboard, since there are two. Ideally we could fit an adult passenger in between the them. As for driver's side, my husband is 5'8", I'm 5'7".

Thanks in advance!

ADS

akcowgirl

I don't have seat rec's for you but I have an '06 forester. If it is at all possible do not get that body style!!! I have almost no room in the back seat with 2 seats back there. I have a rf boulevard and a ff graco HHB and there is absolutely no way I could get an adult in the middle. Also with the rf seat behind the passenger front seat any average adult would have their knees in the dash. Even with the ff seat behind the driver my 6'1 husband does not have enough leg room.

Good luck, other than car seat fit I like my forester. I would happily go up a body style if it was an option for us.

BananaBoat

Even the new ones are going to be tough getting 2 seats & an adult in the back. The Outback is MUCH bigger in the back (in general, no model years in particular you have to get) if that's an option for you. Foresters are tough in general. We bought a Tribeca when I was pregnant with A because it was already tight with just 1 kid in our Forester.

As for combo seats, I'm not well versed as I haven't looked into it yet. Good luck!

Persimmon

I have an '09 Forester which is the first year of the redesign. I had a 2000 Legacy Outback before that. The problem with the Forester back seat is that it is not very wide to begin with. Then there is the skinny hump in the middle. The outboard seats are depressed so that the seat cushion domes up toward the door on each side making it impossible to push the car seats close to the doors to give you more room in the middle. I have only tried one convertible seat in the middle of that car but I can't imagine getting an adult in between two combination seats. Small backseat aside, I do love my Forester. It has been very reliable and good crash test results are important to me. Good luck.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that even after the redesign it's a tight squeeze.

Does anyone know whether any compact SUVs (aka compact crossovers) have back seats amenable to carseats? Maybe the Honda CR-V? We may go with a wagon if not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC