Small vehicles with 3rd row seating

cstrain

We are in the market for a 2nd car. This will primarily be my DH's work car, but very occasionally (like 1-2 times per month) he might need to drop off or pick up our kids from the sitter. He prefers small cars and hates feeling like he is "driving a boat". He hates our Sienna (which I loooooove) and would rather not get another van or a big SUV.

We have 4 kids - in the van they are 8yo in booster, 5yo & 3yo FF convertible seats, 1yo RF.

I know about the Mazda 5 and we definitely plan on checking that out, but I am looking for some recommendations of smaller crossover/SUVs that my husband wouldn't hate driving but would function as we need it to. I am willing to have both the 5 and 8 yo in boosters if that would be necessary either to access the 3rd row, or because of lack of tethers.

ADS

canadiangie

Seven passenger Sante Fe has an in-a-pinch 3rd row. No tether anchors back there, tho.

You would need to verify that you can still flip the 2nd row 40 portion forward with a seat (ie: Radian) installed 2nd row middle. Otherwise I'm not sure how you would access the 3rd row for your 5 & 8 year old.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We have a Kia Rondo which is serving us well. It's comparable in size to the Mazda 5 (but seats 7.) The Chevy Orlando is another 7-seater in the class.

Dillipop

We have a Kia Rondo which is serving us well. It's comparable in size to the Mazda 5 (but seats 7.) The Chevy Orlando is another 7-seater in the class.

Neither of these are available in the US, iirc. The Rondo used to be but was phased out a few years ago.

I'd consider getting a 5 seat vehicle if it's rarely used for all 4 kids and put either the 5 year old in the front seat in a radian or put the 8 year old in the front in his booster.

emntheboys

A dealership about 30 miles away from me is/was selling the Orlando. So they are available in the US, but probably really hard to find.

cstrain

I'd consider getting a 5 seat vehicle if it's rarely used for all 4 kids and put either the 5 year old in the front seat in a radian or put the 8 year old in the front in his booster.

This is what we are doing now (8yo in the front in her booster) but I *hate* it. I just feel so uncomfortable with her in the front seat. Our sitter is 20 minutes away down two major highways. If it were just a mile down the street I would be okay with it.

I hadn't thought about putting the 5yo in the front seat though. I didn't even know front seats had tether anchors (do they?). The car we are thinking of replacing is a 2004 Hyundai Elantra.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC