Question 2006 Pontiac Torrent 3 carseats - Canada

L

Luvinfamily

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and am hoping someone will be able to help me. I am expecting baby #3 in April and am wondering about fitting 3 car seats in a row in my 2006 Pontiac Torrent. I currently have a 4 and 2 year old that still need to be in carseats. I am willing to purchase new seats for them in order for all 3 to fit safely of course. I have a Maxi Cosi infant carseat for the baby. The carseats that my older two are in now, are large and I know that they don't fit with the infant seat.
Could anyone offer any suggestions? We are willing to purchase a new vehical if needed. But would like to see if we could go with the option of possibly spending under $1000 on new carseats vs. $20000 on a new vehical.

Thanks in advance,
Meagan

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Welcome to car-seat.org! I think I recognize your question from the SEATS page.

You might have more response posting this in the general forum rather than the Canadian specific one -- but put the little maple leaf by it to note it's Canadian. You'll get a much larger audience that way! You can 'report' your own post and ask a mod to move it. The little yield symbol in the bottom left.

Also more info please --

Weights of the older kids, and whether they are rear- or forward-facing?

Seated torso height of both as well. Sit them cross-legged on the floor against the wall, and sitting up straight measure from floor to shoulder. Most people work in inches.

What seats do you have now? Big sometimes is okay if they happen to puzzle nicely with whatever is beside it.

tam_shops

I'd go to the store w/ the baby bucket you have and seats you already own and start by trying one Radian. If that doesn't do it, I'd try two Radians with the infant seat you already own.

AND, I think they're on sale until the 21st, so I'd be quick about it. Do *not* buy them from anywhere you can not return them until you have tried them.

I have the equivalent of the Pontiac Vibe and have (until recently) always had 3 seats fit in my car, by using 1 Radian--and a rear and forward facing (FF) arrangement. Meaning at least one seat was RF and another FF.

tam

sparkyd

I'm going to be a wee bit pessimistic here and say that it will be tough. I had a 2006 Torrent and two Radians and while I never actually tried it (so I'm by no means saying it can't be done) I was quite surprised at how little room there was left with two Radians installed. I don't think a 3rd Radian is possible. You'll need seats that puzzle well together as opposed to just being the right widths, so some trial and error will be needed. Make sure you actually install the seats when trying them out, don't just check the width/puzzling.

I installed the two Radians next to each other once (with the help of Deanna for those of you that know her here in Ottawa) and we were both cursing how tough it was to accomplish that. One was FFing and one was RFing. Not pretty and I never did it again because my hope of actually being able to sit in the outboard seat with the Radians next to each other was for naught. I'm am pretty small, and I couldn't sit there. I actually had less room than the one other time I did that with a Radian and Marathon (older version) installed next to each other. The way those two seats overlapped (or puzzled!) actually gave a touch more room in the other outboard seat such that I could squish in and do up the belt. And be quite uncomfortable.

I have seen a 3-across in that vehicle once, but it was a rear-facing seat in the middle (True Fit), a harnessed seat outboard (not sure what), and a backless booster outboard.

The Torrent is one of the best vehicles for rear-facing seats because it has TONS of front-to-back space, but it is NOT wide. At all.

Again, I'm sure it can be done, just not easily. Hopefully someone has the perfect solution to offer!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC