Tell my why you love (or hate) the TFP

whitneyg

I have been waffling about whether or not to get a TFP for way too long now, and I ned help getting down off the fence. I have a RF 3 year old (30lbs) and a 5 month old, so the seat would get used. I just don't exactly have a need for another seat right now, so it may have to get hidden away until I need it. They are on such good sales right now that I thought it might be a good time. Or maybe I should wait until the SIP version comes out...

Just hoping for some thoughts either way on what you love or hate about the TFP.

Thanks!!!

ADS

Stelvis

I have one as a spare. Bought it because it was the best option to RF DS after I got rid of my Radians due to Superlatch issues. Unfortunately he hit 34-35 lbs and I had to FF him right before he turned 3.

Love how tall it is. Pretty easy to install everywhere I've tried it. Love the ARB. Love the easy harness height adjust.

Did NOT fit my newborn well at all.
Hate the continuous harness. My husband has trouble getting it even.
Hate how hard it is to reach the harness adjuster lever. I can barely reach it, but my husband can't at all.
Hate the ridiculous pad on the crotch buckle that comes off all the time and has no padding. Maybe they've improved this though?

Since it presents usage issues for DH I prefer not to use it regularly. I like him to be able to easily use any seat we have installed. Our Britax are all very easy for him to use and buckle every time.

Phineasmama

Absolutely hate the continuous harness. Total deal breaker for me. Did not fit my DD2 well as a noob either, the harness straps seemed too wide. Did not like that there were only 4 harness slots. Felt it was harder to get a good fit.

Eta: harness adjuster nearly impossible to reach in either of my vehicles.

whitneyg

Absolutely hate the continuous harness. Total deal breaker for me. Did not fit my DD2 well as a noob either, the harness straps seemed too wide. Did not like that there were only 4 harness slots. Felt it was harder to get a good fit.

Eta: harness adjuster nearly impossible to reach in either of my vehicles.

Oooooh...you have a Peg...that is the other one on my "if only I needed a new seat" list. If you have had both, how do you like that one compared to the Britax seats?

jess71903

Ambassador
The TFP is my favorite seat. I got a regular TF when DS turned 1, then traded my MyRide for trippsmom's TFP about a year ago, I think. DD used it as a newbie (around 6 weeks) and it fit her well. She's rear-facing it in now at almost 3. DS (5) uses the regular TF FF on occasion and I love it for him, too. It's tall, has tall top slots for a convertible, and is nice and roomy.

I like the continuous harness. I can't be bothered to tighten and loosen each time, so it makes it so I don't have to contort DD too much to get her in :). She still has plenty of leg room. I love the anti-rebound bar, not only for it's intended use, but also because it does make the harness adjuster more accessible, and keeps little dirty feet off of my vehicle seat, at least a little. I like the covers. They are generally soft and cushy, and clean up easily. I've washed all of mine (regular and TFP) several times in the washer and they all look nearly new.

Phineasmama

Oooooh...you have a Peg...that is the other one on my "if only I needed a new seat" list. If you have had both, how do you like that one compared to the Britax seats?

I've had two True Fits, the Premier and the recline version, I wanted to love them but ended up getting rid of them after a couple weeks each time :eek:

The Peg is awesome. It has everything I like about a Britax seat, like the really nice straps and easy buckles, easy harness adjuster. But it has a little more leg room and it's MUCH easier to load my fat baby in and out of than my Blvd 70 G3. It's pretty much as easy to use as the classic Marathon. I really really love this seat! I only bought it because I got it on NBD at an awesome price, but seriously.I was just thinking the other day how if I had to suddenly replace all my seats I would just get the Peg again for my DD2 who is my only RFer now :)

creideamh

I only had it for a brief time when DD was a newb, got rid of it because it didn't fit her well even at 3 months old (her shoulders are STILL super narrow.) Also didn't like the buried harness adjuster... HUGE PITA. And THANK YOU, Stelvis, I finally realised what the extra crotch buckle pad I have goes to. :p
I usually don't have a preference between continuous/fixed harnesses so that didn't bother me, and of course I loved the ARB. And the removable headrest for newbs is pretty cool.

Stelvis

To me it's funny when people say the ARB makes it easier to find the harness adjuster -- yeah, in comparison to the original TF. The TFP harness adjuster still takes swearing and prying with my pinky finger to reach.

I don't loosen and tighten each time either, except to adjust for cloth vs. sposies, etc. but I don't have any issues leaving them alone in my Britax, either.

thepote

Too wide for an under 1yo for my comfort.

Buried harness adjuster.

And the dealbreaker...
The continuous harness. DH just cannot be trusted with these. He won't even try to fix it, just pull the harness adjuster to take out the slack on one side (maybe, if he can get to it before he gets annoyed and says good enough).

linneabw

I found the harness slipped off the shoulder because it comes out of the way the padding is. The install was difficult for me but rock solid. The 35 lb rf limit is a deal breaker for me.

geekKT

I'm another one who likes it, for the most part, and I used a TFP from birth though we switched recently to an RXT for various reasons.

- It's tall, I've got a tall kiddo.
- I like the no re-thread harness, it was easy to occasionally check which slot fit him best when he was in between the second and 3rd.
- I don't mind accessing the hardness adjuster, I used my middle two fingers and did loosen/adjust most every time.
- I'm neutral on the continuous harness. Don't love it, don't hate it.
- I could install that seat with a seatbelt in any car I tried in minutes and have it rock solid.
- I liked that I didn't need the upper headrest portion with a newborn
- It fit my newborn okay. Not wonderfully, but not poorly either.
- It cleans up easily, installs upright easily, has good leg room.

My few minor complaints would be that I hate how the buckle tongs are just a hair too narrow for them to slide smoothly on the harness; I did have to untwist and straighten them once or twice. We also had some issues near the end of using it (partly due to approaching 35lb weight limit... another gripe) with J complaining his feet were falling asleep, and he hasn't had the same problem in the Radian. I can't be sure what exactly it was about the TFP that caused that, though. Oh, and the crotch pad is useless and falls off, yep. :)

BananaBoat

I really like our TFP. It's currently our spare that we've lent to a friend, but I look forward to using it again. The only reason we got a Radian is because J was hovering at 33 pounds at 3 years old and I didn't want to turn her yet. We've been using the RA55 for A recently, but once she's a little taller & we get our TFP back she'll be in it. I've not felt that the harness adjuster is too bad. I actually prefer the continuous harness since I rarely tighten or loosen anyway.

I love how tall & deep the shell is. J was ALL torso for ages & this seat really worked well for her. Not sure I'll have the same issue with A, but we have the seat & I'm a fan. It has always installed well in our Subarus which can be notoriously car seat un-friendly. I've never used it FF, but have installed it for my friend who is borrowing it with no issues in her Traverse. I don't really get the Britax love - our RA55 is nice, but not any nicer than our TFP in my opinion.

MommyShannon

I am torn on it. I love the legroom and height. I love the ARB vs a tether. I love that it can be more upright than some seats. Dislike that its so wide that DD2 gets head slump no matter the angle and complains her neck hurts when she wakes up. Dislike the head pillow since it goes on the straps and is partly under her shoulders. I use our CA infant padding as a head pillows stead since its so thin behind her head and big cushions beside to stop her head slump. Dislike that the harness folds over easily. Dislike how hard I have to pull to even out the continuos harness. It's hard for anyone else. I don't have any trouble reaching the harness adjustment. Dislike all the snaps to attach the cover. The snaps take me more time than rethreading our RA55 to clean its cover. It is so nice and roomy for her and sooo tall. This sounds more negative than I feel. I'd probably buy it again for the right price. If it weren't for the height and extra legroom, I'd take our MA70 over it easily. I love both my RFers in our Britax seats better but they won't last as long.

SeattleRain

It's really tall, so tall that it totally blocked my vision out of a side window in my small car. I loved that seat though, it was easy to install though the lock offs can be pretty brutal.

flutie128

I really like mine. I will say the continuous harness took me a little while to get use to. I also didn't like the harness being a little wider than the slit in the buckle thongs. I would buy the seat again if I had a need. I am now past the point of needing a convertible seat.

christineka

I had my tfp for 3 years. I like it a lot for rear-facing, not so much for forward-facing, though. I find it lacks head support, which means my kids only nod off to sleep and then wake up 10 seconds later. It also lacks in leg room for forward-facing- if you don't have a lot in the back seat to begin with. I like the continuous harness as opposed to my radian harness that is super tight on one side and doesn't pass the pinch test on the other. I love how easy the seat is to install and change for different kids. I mostly used it as the seat for multiple kids in the car. (At different times, of course.)

jenfrogmom

I love it! The harness does not bother me. Love the leg room. Installs great. Don't have anything really bad to say about it.

jacqui276

I really like my TFP. I used it in my car for awhile, but it is in DH's now. I have no issues reaching the harness adjuster. I like the ARB. I love how roomy it is (my 8 year old says it is comfy and my 5.5 year old niece has loads of leg room rear facing in it). I don't mind the continuous harness. I actually find that it makes it easier to get DS in and out without adjusting the straps every time. I like the angle ball and how it has the two different angles to choose from.

The things that I don't like about it are: the 35lbs RFing weight limit (I am worried that DS won't even get to 2 RFing in it!), the crotch buckle padding always falls off and is annoying, and it can be hard to position the belt in the lock offs and get them closed when installing.

I would totally buy this seat all over again if I needed to choose one. The only thing that makes me regret the purchase is that DS is only 7lbs away from outgrowing it and he's only 9 months old. I may end up having to get something else to RF him in longer and then use this again as a FF seat down the road.

Wy`sMom

I love my Truefit. I have the Arb and a regular. I love both. I can install them anywhere. My 9lb noob fit better in the Truefit than he did in the Radian. He is coming up on his first birthday and has always been in it. No complaints.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC