Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

S/O: WWYD with this big baby in the CCO?

The thread with the huge 5 month old on the 3rd slots of the CCO got me wondering, so I got out our CCO again and tried my 3 month old DD in it. She's long. So with the infant padding she is even with the 3rd slots; without the padding she's between the 2nd and 3rd. The problem is, she is barely over 12 lbs and it says the infant padding MUST be used until 15 lbs, yet the padding blocks the 3rd slot so you can't actually use the 3rd slot with the padding. BTW this is the older version of one-piece infant insert (if the new one ever did come out yet?). So even though she's up to the 3rd slot she has to use the 2nd slot, but it sure seems wrong! The 2nd slot is down below her armpit when she's in with the infant padding--can that be okay?

Using it without the infant insert fits a lot better, she's nicely between the 2nd and 3rd slots. But that would be against the manual since she's not 15 lbs. Would you just not use this seat with this baby for now? She's currently in a KF without infant insert but the CCO is my only spare seat and I was planning to put DD in the CCO if we got a little newborn foster babe, so now I'm wondering if I should come up with a back up plan.
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Combi's former rep (a CPST-I) said it's fine to remove the infant insert at any weight as long as the baby fits fine without it. She said they went very general in the manual because it gets too confusing for the average population when you have a bunch of "if/thens."

I removed the insert on mine when my son was a newborn because he didn't fit well at all with it. Then I put it back in for a while, but removed it for good well before he was 15 lbs.

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Re: S/O: WWYD with this big baby in the CCO?

IIRC, I think Combi actually has said you can take the insert out before 15 lbs. I am pretty sure I remember reading threads about this.
    DD1: 14, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 10, LBTB, Harmony Youth Booster
    DD2: 6, Chicco KidFit, HBTB w/ SS

6. Thank You from:

Thank you both! And thank you Combi for being so reasonable and realistic in anticipating the if/thens!
    Cathy
    Sl--5y RF RXT;

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Just don't call them and ask now that noone who is a CPST and will talk to the actual engineers is there. :/ I trust Vera on this one.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Technician

I did call and ask, knowing they likely wouldn't say "sure, go ahead and ditch it", and the very nice man on the phone clearly didn't have the authority to say anything other than "read the manual." But he did send me out a new infant insert for my old seat. The new infant inserts are two piece, so you can out the wedge in but get rid of the head part. That might have solved my problem, which was that the big newborn's head was being pushed down into his chest, making me nervous... but it took so long for it to come that the kid reached 15 lbs anyway, so I'm not sure what would have helped. But I was very thankful to Combi for sending me something so that my big newborn would at least have a chance at fitting.

The guy on the phone also could only parrot the "must use until 25 lbs" that's marked on the new infant insert. Not to complain, he was very nice, but this is an issue that they need to address.

So my answer to WWYD is: I waited, basically (he rode in the stupid Snugride once I think). But I had a kid who was over 15 lbs at his 8 week appointment and it was summer so we weren't really going anywhere anyway.
    Kathleen, CPST and mom to a pair of Cs.

CPS Fanatic
    I took the insert out. My 18 month old is under 25 lbs. I tried with the insert when I received the seat at 12 months and about 18 pounds and the fit was ridiculous. When I called combi, they said it was fine to take the insert out.

CPS Fanatic
    Whoa. 25 lbs? My kids would outgrow the seat RF by height totally before hitting 25 lbs.

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi View Post
    I took the insert out. My 18 month old is under 25 lbs. I tried with the insert when I received the seat at 12 months and about 18 pounds and the fit was ridiculous.
    This. My daughter is now 21 months old and still doesn't weigh 25 pounds. She's tall enough now (and with a long torso) that if I had the infant insert in I think the top of her head would be within one inch of the shell and she couldn't be rear-facing any more, which would be crazy. Without it, she's got about two inches of torso growth available.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stelvis View Post
    Whoa. 25 lbs? My kids would outgrow the seat RF by height totally before hitting 25 lbs.
    Mine probably will too. Vera said that wording was an error andshe was working on getting it changed, but when she left, it never happened... I do buy that the wording was an error, as they have a bit of a history of manual and website errors that take a while to get corrected.

That is in large part why I'm ok removing the insert when the fit without becomes significantly better than fit with.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

My dd didn't hit 25 lbs until like 3-3.5 yrs old (she outgrew it around 3 by height)...vera told me it was fine to remove the insert before 25lbs. It didn't make sense to have to use that huge insert with a 2-3 yr old. Lol.
    -Jessica. mom to :
    Aislin (4-30-2006)..44lbs and 46.5 in tall. Boostered in a Cybex Solutions x-fix
    Skyla (3-13-2008)..32lbs and 43 in tall. Boostered in a Clek Oobr

Wow seriously 25 lbs? My now 2 y.o. DD outgrew the CCO be height at 15 months withOUT the insert and she was 22 lbs. Now I'm just hoping this new baby will make it at least that long! But that is really good to know I can take the insert out early, thanks.
    Cathy
    Sl--5y RF RXT;

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    Mine probably will too. Vera said that wording was an error andshe was working on getting it changed, but when she left, it never happened... I do buy that the wording was an error, as they have a bit of a history of manual and website errors that take a while to get corrected.

That is in large part why I'm ok removing the insert when the fit without becomes significantly better than fit with.
    FYI, Vera is back with Combi!
    Mom to Tay, June 2011 RF in a Foonf or Peg Perego Convertible
    Baby J riding in an Aton 2 or Cocorro