Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Boosters for tall, thin kids 9 & 11

First of all, Everyone thinks I'm crazy for still having my kids in boosters...
    They are in Clek oobrs , high back boosters. Weights are 69-70 pounds, height 55-56 inches. They're going to be the height, 57 inches, before they hit the 80 pound mark. What is the best booster that will last for them at least until they hit 80 pounds.
    Thanks so much in advance for all advice....

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

At 9 and 11 low back boosters are very appropriate provided they would have adequate vehicle head support (to the top of their ears).

I really like the Harmony Cruz or Diono Santa Fe for leg support. They both have a deep seat pan. The Cruz is about $20-25 and the Santa Fe is $50-60. The Santa Fe has LATCH which is nice if you don't like having to buckle unoccupied boosters.
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

Re: Boosters for tall, thin kids 9 & 11

Another suggestion: If they are on the skinny side, they might also like the Harmony Literider. I have 2 Santa Fes (the backless version of the Monterey), and 2 Apramos (which are almost identical to the Literider). My boys both prefer the Apramos by FAR because they're light and low-profile. They're a lot easier to cart around from vehicle to vehicle, can fit in hockey bags, and don't irritate DH so much when they're left in his car because they can be stuffed down between the seats to make room for the dog crate LOL!
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

Thank you. I will look into those. The Santa Fe looks good especially because it has latch. Are the Apramos only available in Canada???
    Would they be able to use the Bumble Bum for travel?
    Also, is it better for them to stay in the Clek Oober for as long as possible until they hit the 57 inches.
    Sorry for so many questions... I have a 10 month old too and I can't wait to see the new Foonf for him! Delivery keeps getting pushed back
    Thanks Again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimmylynnk View Post
    Thank you. I will look into those. The Santa Fe looks good especially because it has latch. Are the Apramos only available in Canada???
    Would they be able to use the Bumble Bum for travel?
    Also, is it better for them to stay in the Clek Oober for as long as possible until they hit the 57 inches.
    Sorry for so many questions... I have a 10 month old too and I can't wait to see the new Foonf for him! Delivery keeps getting pushed back
    Thanks Again!!!!
    Yeah, Apramo is only in Canada, but it's basically the same as the Literider. If you have them in positions with LATCH and you're not swapping between vehicles all the time, then the Santa Fe is a great choice. Bubblebums would be appropriate travel seats. Those haven't made it to Canada, so I haven't seen or tried one yet.

ETA: I just asked my boys why they prefer the Apramo. 10yo likes that it's a lighter to switch around, a bit easier to maneuver & get buckled (I think because it doesn't have the rubber on the bottom so it slides on the seat), & it fits in his hockey bag. 8yo likes that it looks like it's for bigger kids LOL. He admitted that he actually prefers riding in the Santa Fe because it has cupholders (yet he only ever uses it when I make him because he left his other seat in the car!! LOL).
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

CPS Fanatic

Good for you for having your kids in boosters! For height, the shoulder belt guide on the booster needs to be at or above their shoulder. That, as well, as their overall height determines when they'll outgrow their current seats.