Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    dizneyroxs

Infant car seat- handle up or down driving?

I have a graco snug right & don't know if the handle should be up or down while driving?? I remember reading in the paper once how an infant carrier was thrown out of the car during a major accident & the handle being up saved this baby but I dont remember which way is the correct way to leave it!??
    Thanxs so much! KIm

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Infant car seat- handle up or down driving?

Your instruction manual will tell you if you can have the handle up. If you have a model that allows the handle to be up... it will say something like "never use position b in the car". Position B is when the handle is right in line with the shell of the carseat (up by babies head).

Some models of snugrides do allow the handle to be up. If your seat is newer than 2006, you definitely have a model that allows the handle to be up.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt and starting to drive in a few months!
    DS2 /05, ParkwaySG

DS3 /12, Peg PVC
    DD1 /15, Britax B-Safe

Check your manual. In late 2003 Graco redesigned their infant seats and the new ones (generally speaking, the ones with the 22 lb limit vs the 20 lb limit) allowed it to be up. But don't leave it up without checking the manual for your specific seat first.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Unregistered

I went through child restraint training in 2009 through AAA for daycare, and they said to NEVER leave the handle up. It is plastic. In an accident I can shatter and stab your child. That is a more common than the car seat being thrown from the car.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I went through child restraint training in 2009 through AAA for daycare, and they said to NEVER leave the handle up. It is plastic. In an accident I can shatter and stab your child. That is a more common than the car seat being thrown from the car.
    Their advice is outdated. Evenflo and Baby Trend require the handles down (Evenflo requires an additional 1.5" of clearance). The Peg requires the handle at the head of the seat. Any Britax Companions in service require the handle at the head. Graco, Dorel, the Britax Chaperone, Chicco all allow the handle to be up.

As with any carseat, READ THE MANUAL. They'll tell you where the handle needs to be. But the universal "handle must be down" went out in 2005.

Yes, it's plastic. So's the carseat. If the plastic was that brittle, would it save a child's life?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

7. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The problem with this is that some seats require the handle to be up. You really have to read the child restraint manual to know for sure.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown