law about selling expired seat

desisue0131

I live in Maine and we do have pretty good car seat laws but I am seeing tons of expired car seats for sale for insane prices in those facebook groups and an curious about what the law might be about it. I asked our local police department and they had no idea....

ADS

Baylor

Is it actually against the law to sell an expired seat? We all know it is bad but I wonder if it is actually against the law.

desisue0131

Like I said I asked my local police department but they are no help. So frustrating to see people buying these seats.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If Maine requires "proper use" of seats, it would be illegal to use an expired seat, but likely there is no law making it illegal to sell them.

desisue0131

I just watched someone pay $100 for a beat up Graco infant seat. I asked her if she knew it wasn't safe to use an expired seat and she said she didn't care if the straps didn't work right in an accident because she doesn't strap the child in because it doesn't like to be strapped down...I almost threw up.

Baylor

Why would she pay that when she can get a brand new one for 75.00.. So crazy.

It is a shame that someone people don't care. There are videos of tests with expired seats. You might want to look them up on youtube and share them.

desisue0131

Why would she pay that when she can get a brand new one for 75.00.. So crazy.

It is a shame that someone people don't care. There are videos of tests with expired seats. You might want to look them up on youtube and share them.

I thought it was crazy to. But what can you do, some people really just don't care.

Baylor

I thought it was crazy to. But what can you do, some people really just don't care.

You are right and it is infuriating isn't it? I see people try and plan for crazy things to keep their kids safe, But when it comes to the thing that is most likely to kill them, They ignore it.

I have at least been able to help people around me. I ordered the usaa car seat safety booklet. It is free. I carry them with me and try to drop hints in bad cases, and then offer them a booklet. I also let them know that in PA now you can get a ticket for not having your child properly secured. It is 85.00.
It is sad to me that that is what gets people to be better but I don't care as long as they get the babies out of boosters.

I feel your pain. ;)

Athena

I know it IS ILLEGAL to sell recalled products. It certainly seems like it should also be illegal to sell expired seats, but I don't know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC