Question FF or RF for driving to look at Christmas lights?

mlohry

I know this was a thread last year. DD is 3.9 years and has a Recaro Prosport with of course the big head wings or a Radian with no head wings for RF. What do you think she could see out of better. We have the big Ody windows.

ADS

bnsnyde

We have kids in the Odyssey both RF and FF. They all see fine, but at different angles and views. It's great! I think my RF in back sees the best, out the hatch window. Now that it's dark out, we see lots of lights.
One is in a Radian FF, too.

mlohry

Is there a reason the Radian can't go FF? I'd do that for sure.

I could do that. I was trying to have it just be my RF seat because of the whole side impact protection thing without the wings, but I'm pretty sure we are pretty low risk for a side impact collision driving thru a community that decks out in lights for Christmas :) thanks for the suggestion.

rachelandtyke

For the first time this year, I kept DS rfing and moved him to the center of the back row so he could see well out the hatch. The next time we go, he'll be in his regular spot in the captain's chair, but I'll move DD from behind him so he can see out the side and the hatch better.

At that age, I wouldn't be worried about ffing (DS is 3 1/2 and will ride ffing in friend's car when baby is born in a couple of months), but don't want him to get a taste of it in our van and start complaining. He doesn't know that his seat can be turned around. ;)

leighi123

Ds has always been RF in them middle to see them, he sees them just fine! (He has been in his XTSL, and in a TF, this year he will be in the multi-tech and then the XTSL)

MommyShannon

Our 2.5 year old is rf in a TFP 2nd row driver's side and sees everything well. First my big kids point something out as they see it ahead of us, then a few seconds later she does as we pass by it. I don't move anyone around for it.

babyherder

Considering the 3 year old I have rear facing in a myride can reliably point out the pizza place I'm not worried about her being able to see Christmas lights. I don't think I'd move seats around for that. But I kind of don't like uninstalling and re-installing anyway.

mlohry

Considering the 3 year old I have rear facing in a myride can reliably point out the pizza place I'm not worried about her being able to see Christmas lights. I don't think I'd move seats around for that. But I kind of don't like uninstalling and re-installing anyway.

I just like to torture myself, reinstalling the Radian ;)

YinzerMama

For neighborhood viewing I wouldn't even consider rf vs ff since people tend to set things up so they are viewed from the street so the kid will see the same no matter what. Turn your head and there it is. For a more commercial type light display, I'd probably ff them if over a year, since these tend to be made to be viewed as you come upon them, and you tend to drive slowly to view them. Hope that makes sense. :)

monica-m

CPST Instructor
DS was RF to look at lights because I was too lazy to uninstall and reinstall his seat. He could see just fine.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
When Nadia was 2.5, I turned her FF to watch Christmas Lights in a limo. She hated it! There was no place to rest her feet.

Kira still complains from time to time that she wishes she could ride rear facing, because she wants to put her feet up. (She says she likes seeing out the front window.)

mlohry

We ended up forward facing her in the Radian, after we did it I got a little freaked she would be too low, but she could for sure see out just fine. We actually ended up parking and walked most of the area to see the lights. Fun night!

Mercuria

For neighborhood viewing I wouldn't even consider rf vs ff since people tend to set things up so they are viewed from the street so the kid will see the same no matter what. Turn your head and there it is. For a more commercial type light display, I'd probably ff them if over a year, since these tend to be made to be viewed as you come upon them, and you tend to drive slowly to view them. Hope that makes sense. :)

:yeahthat:

In case anybody else stumbles across this thread, this is my vote as well, if you can reinstall before and after viewing. Speed limits for the commercial light villages are low enough that I'd feel comfortable FF-ing a little for the duration of the tour.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC